Search for content in message boards

Herman Mannila B:4-24-1880 Finland

Herman Mannila B:4-24-1880 Finland

Posted: 27 Mar 2011 8:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Mannila
If anyone can help here..he came over to St.Albans, VT on 12-24-1910 and all I know from there is he came to Astoria, OR with my grandfather Roy and his brother Ruud. Mother Milga Linbeck passed...but where? The boys were also born in Finland, but where? Mannila was my maiden name and not common at all! thanks@ Christine aka canna98.

Re: Herman Mannila B:4-24-1880 Finland

Posted: 28 Mar 2011 12:01AM GMT
Edited: 28 Mar 2011 12:03AM GMT
Christine, it doesn't sound as though you've done your census work yet, since Herman was already in the US for several years by 1910. Starting with the latest available census and working back:

— 1930 census: Herman (age 49, wid); Roy (19) and Ruud (16) are in Seaside (Dist 37), Clatsop, OR. Herman is listed as being an alien.

— 1920 census: Herman (indexed "Mamrila"; alternate spelling Mamila, Mamula) in Seaside, Clatsop Co., OR, age 39; widower, immigrated 1901. Roy is 9 and "Ruut" as it's listed, is 6. So Milga d. sometime between Ruud's birth around 1914, and the 1920 census. In the column "Naturalized or alien" he put "Pa" (meaning first papers were filed. Look for these first papers. Even if he did not finish the naturalization process, the Declaration of Intention may tell you where in Finland he was from.)

— Herman Mannila World War I Draft Registration shows residence Seaside, Clatsop, Ore.; DOB 24 April 1880; nearest relative Milga Mannila. There is no date listed but since those records are from 1917-18, Milga's death can be narrowed down to ca 1917-1920**(see at bottom of this message). Herman is listed as a declared alien; not a US citizen.

— 1910 border crossing lists Herman as married, a farmer, going to Portland, Ore. This sounds as though he made a trip back to Finland, since the 1910 census below indicates he was already in the US for several years. Town of origin looks like Jalasjawi? I cannot read the name of the relative in Finland.

— 1910 census: Herman (age 29) and Milga (age 27) Mannila, Seaside Precinct, Clatsop, OR; married 3 years (wedding therefore ca 1906-07 and likely in the US; perhaps OR). Herman is listed as immigrating 1901; Milga in 1902.

— Oregon Death Index 1903-1998 did not show Milga Mannila. She was in Seaside for many years, as was Herman after she died; so it seems logical that she died near there. Checking for alternate spellings or handwriting quirks, I put into the search box only the first 3 letters of her first and last names. This is likely her:
Name: Mannita, Milka
County: Clatsop
Death Date: 22 Oct 1918
Certificate: 246

Posted: 28 Mar 2011 12:23AM GMT
Yes, thank you for responding, I have all the census records as well as draft register and the manifest from Liverpool in 1910, that must be when he came back? My gr. grandmothers maiden name was Linbeck, Milga. What I really want to know is where in Finland he came from? Mannila is in no way a common name, here at least! I have a great many pix from my grandfather Roy, one done in 1911 with Herman in Seaside. I have another with the 2 boys and Milga and her sister as I remember on the beach in Seaside, although their backs are to the camera! I do have a protrait of her, do not know the date. but she comes from Finland as well. Is there a way to access Finnish documents? You know what I mean? So Jalasjawi? I saw that as well, so very hard to read...must be in Finland. thank you for your help!

Posted: 28 Mar 2011 5:04PM GMT
Have you read this? Some basics about researching Finnish ancestry?
http://www.genealogia.fi/emi/art/article91e.htm

Posted: 19 Dec 2011 5:05AM GMT
It looks like the town you are looking for is Jalasjärvi in Finland. Best of luck.

Posted: 19 Nov 2012 8:14PM GMT
My Mannila family comes from Alajarvi and Sarajarvi in Finland. They first moved to Toivola, Minnesota and then to Quincy, Oregon which is in Columbia County, but not far from Astoria (aka Little Helsinki). Heiki Mannila, Erki Mannila and more were brothers who came about 1905, following brother Victor Pumela (buried in Clatskanie, Oregon). The Mannila's are part of the Nelimarkka Clan in Finland. Google Nelimarkka Family Association. Heiki (Henry) was my g-grandfather.
Kathie Ordal
per page

Find a board about a specific topic