Search for content in message boards

Badges please?

Badges please?

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 6:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Mar 2013 6:20AM GMT
Here's an idea for ancestry. How about implementing "Badges" people can click and attach to individuals in their tree. For example, got an ancestor who fought in the revolution? There'd be an official "Rev. War Veteran" badge. Other examples:

- War Veterans (Rev. War, War of 1812, Civil, War, WW1, WW2, etc.)
- Immigrant Ancestor
- Flags of country of origin
- Coats of Arms

Why? Because I'm sick to death of clicking "ignore" on the bazillion and one cutesy clip-art "photos" that are coming up in my hint results. Especially because if the person did it for one ancestor we share in common, they did it with a dozen and then there are a dozen hints to ignore. I'm really tired of wasting my time on these when I could be looking at the scanned obit that actually might be useful.

And just to be absolutely clear, this would be completely separate from photos! You'd click on a tab on the individual page and then select the badges. Or use it to help improve the quality of trees by making people EARN those badges. Find a Rev War record for your ancestor? He gets the Rev War badge...and maybe you get to display that badge on your profile.

Re: Badges please?

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 4:21PM GMT
The idea has merit but I suspect that anything that would reduce the quantity (notice that's quantity not quality) of shaky leaves would probably run afoul of Ancestry's marketing department.

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 4:40PM GMT
So you want Ancestry.com to standardize the clip-art graphics and not allow anyone to use other ones, so you don't get hints for them? Oh, there would be hoots and hollers.

No American family has a coat of arms. True, some genealogy fraudsters began making them up in the 1960s and no few continue to this day. They are decorative, but not true coats of arms. A coat of arms was granted by a ruling authority to one person; they were not inherited except in rare instances where a widow or one son was allowed to use an altered version of the original during their lifetimes.

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 5:02PM GMT
"So you want Ancestry.com to standardize the clip-art graphics and not allow anyone to use other ones, so you don't get hints for them? Oh, there would be hoots and hollers."

While I don't see anything in the original post about "not allowing anyone to use other ones" I do agree that there would be "hoots and hollers". I doubt there's ever been anything implemented at Ancestry without someone complaining about it.

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 5:56PM GMT
Edited: 1 Mar 2013 6:01PM GMT
Oh I have no illusions that it would stop the useless photos completely. I'd be happy if it cut it even a little bit. and if it "standardizes" those things a bit, why not? I see the same ones repeated endlessly anyway.

"No American family has a coat of arms." I am descended from the Goodrich family in England. I can trace my line back that far as can most of the other Goodrich's in America because almost all of us are descended from the same two brothers. I can even point you to the ancestral castle as it still exists today. The coat of arms for that branch of the family comes up in my searches all the time. Also the German flag because I have ancestors who immigrated from Germany.

And considering their recent push into social media (Facebook import?) they might even like it as it would add another social aspect to the site. Hey Ancestry...read up on some game theory to see how this might encourage people to use the site...and upgrade their subscriptions to "earn" those illusive immigrant badges. :P

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 8:53PM GMT
In British heraldry there is no such thing as a "family coat of arms".

You may be descended from an individual who was granted a coat of arms.

There may be other descendants in that family who have subsequently applied for and been granted arms, but unless you have applied to the College of Arms and been approved, you can't use one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_heraldry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_of_Arms

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadency

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 2:27AM GMT
Okay. I didn't explain that well. I was trying to use that as an example that there are plenty of people who can trace their families back that far. I could care less about coat of arms. I agree with you, most of those are as real as three dollar bills. However, Ancestry doesn't always give a s**t about getting information right - OneWorldTree anyone? If you (and I) don't care about it, we don't have to put those on our trees.. My whole point in my original message was to move that sort of thing OUT of the information that's getting indexed and reported as "hints" into it's own special little spot where those who care can still have it and those who don't, don't have to deal with it.

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 4:26AM GMT
I strongly suggest you read the MFAQ on the Usenet Newsgroup rec.heraldry to really understand about who is entitled to bear/display arms.

Posted: 3 Mar 2013 5:42AM GMT
Oh for the love of G*d, the point of my original message wasn't about heraldry. AT ALL. I could care less about heraldry. The point was to get all the crappy clip art (including the fake heraldry) OUT of search results. Get over it and let's get this discussion back on the original topic please!

Posted: 4 Mar 2013 1:52AM GMT
I agree about all the stupid clip art (CoA's. flags, etc.) including any future clip art provided by Ancestry or anyone else (badges for 1812 vets, etc).

If it isn't an image of an actual document I have no use whatsoever for it - and that includes photos of gravestones, wedding pics of 5th cousins 3x removed, etc.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions