Search for content in message boards

BISHOP JEAN JOSEPH KOPPES of Luxembourg?

BISHOP JEAN JOSEPH KOPPES of Luxembourg?

Jan Mongoven (View posts)
Posted: 19 Sep 2004 2:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: KOPPES, TRAUFLER
Hello ~

Does anybody have sourced information concerning the family of BISHOP JEAN JOSEPH KOPPES of Luxembourg? I believe he was born to Jean and Anne Marie Traufler in Luxembourg on 16 Sep 1843 and died there on 29 Nov 1918. Is this correct?

My g-g-grandmother, ELIZABETH KOPPES (b. 17 May 1835 in Garnich, Grand Duchy of Luxembourg; m. NICHOLAUS TRAUFLER on 21 Nov 1854 in Belgium, Ozaukee, Wisconsin; d. 11 Jan 1917 in St. Cloud, Stearns County, Minnesota) was the bishop's cousin.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jan

Re: BISHOP JEAN JOSEPH KOPPES of Luxembourg?

nicole (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2004 10:15PM GMT
Could this help you?
KOPPES, Jean Joseph Alphonse, Bischof, † 16.9. 1843 in Canach, † 29.11. 1918 in Luxemburg, entstammte einer Lehrerfamilie. ( teacher family)Die Eltern Jean KOPPES. und Anne Marie ERNSTER schenkten zwölf Kindern das Leben. (they had 12 children)Drei Töchter ( 3 daughters ,sisters in a convent "Heilig Kreuz Schwestern (Holy cross sisters in North America) and (one son :priest in North america. ) Nach der Weihe( after his consecration) am 28.8. 1868 wirkte Koppes Jean Joseph bis 1873 als Vikar (curate)in der Liebfrauenkirche in Luxemburg, anschließend als Seelsorger (pastor)in der Pfarrei (parish)Esch-Alzette in Luxembourg. Auf mehreren Reisen zu den Verwandten und Bekannten in den Vereinigten Staaten von Nordamerika, wohin sie kurz vorher ausgewandert waren, ( he visited several time his family in North America where they emigrated )

Jan Mongoven (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2004 10:46PM GMT
Thanks very much Nicole, this is very helpful. Now if I could just find out some of the brothers and sisters of the Bishop's parents, Jean Koppes and Anne Marie Ernster. Thank you very much again.

Jan

Geraald & Vada Koppes (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jan 2005 2:40PM GMT
Hello, I have the Bishop Jean Joseph Koppes family tree.
Your Elizabeth Koppes does not fit in this tree.
The parents of BIshop Jean Joseph Koppes is Johannes Koppes 18-10-1916 and wife Marie Muller 182-1937.

jan mongoven (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jan 2005 12:56PM GMT
Hello~
Thank you very much for the information regarding the Koppes family. My ancestor's obituary states that she was a cousin of the Bishop. I do not know how distant a cousin she was. I do have newspaper articles showing that he visited her small town in Luxembourg, Minnesota. Do you have a copy of the family tree on WORD document or Family Tree Maker format? I would very much like to have a copy. Thank you very much. Jan janetix@adelphia.net.

Posted: 30 May 2005 11:34AM GMT
Would love to see a copy of the Obit and I can see where
you might fit in the tree but so far I cannot see where you
are in the Bishop family tree. Give me the name of your
Grandfather and mother and gg grandfather andmother, this
might help.

Posted: 28 Jul 2006 1:46PM GMT
You are not related to the Bishop Koppes of Luxembourg.
I have his family tree and will be published in our family
book. However your family is in our book also.

Posted: 17 Nov 2012 6:45PM GMT
The bishop and I are 1st cousins, 4X removed. His father was Jean Koppes, son of Michael Koppes and Anna Maria Schuh. Jean Koppes' older brother was Daniel Koppes (b. 16 Oct 1798 at Greiveldange, Stadtbredimus, Remich, Luxembourg). Daniel Koppes is my 3rd great-grandfather. One of Daniel's daughters was Elizabeth Koppes (b. 1835 at Greiveldange), my great-great-grandmother. One of Jean's sons was Johannes (Jean) Joseph Koppes (b. 1843 at Canach, Remich, Lux), who became the Bishop of Luxembourg. My grandmother and the bishop were first cousins. The newspaper accounts and her obit were correct, after all.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions