Search for content in message boards

Marriage Fact

Marriage Fact

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 4:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a problem with the marriage fact. You make assumptions and then don't allow us to fix them. Example: I have an ancestor that was married twice. I have source information for both marriage facts. The problem, both of the facts list the same wife, but one should list the other wife. There is no way for me to fix it except deleting the fact and re-entering it. If I do that I loose the source information. I want to be able to modify the fact by changing the spouse name. The source information is set correctly for all three involved individuals. I just want to be able to print the timeline and have it show the correct spouse information. Please add the option of changing the spouse. You have the little box next to the spouse name when editing the marriage fact, but it only provides more information on the designated spouse. I need the box like on FTM reports where you can change the report person.

Re: Marriage Fact

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 4:56PM GMT
Try adding the fact (and the supporting documentation) to the wife instead of the husband. The system always tries to attach documentation to the earliest marriage date, regardless of the spouse name.

So, if the ancestor is John Jones and he first married Susan Smith and then Elizabeth Black, create a "marriage fact" for each marriage. Then, when attaching documentation for each marriage, attach to Susan rather than John, and to Elizabeth rather than John. Unless each of the wives also had multiple marriages, that should take care of the problem. If the documentation is under John's name, just click the "attach to someone else" link, and search for Susan or Elizabeth, which will attach it to her and also to John as her spouse.

Good luck with this - it's just an annoying quirk of the system.

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 5:05PM GMT
I'm sorry, but the source information is already attached to the proper wives. This is not a quirk. It is a programming error that needs to be fixed. I put it here on Ancestry Improvements, because it needs to be improved. There is no way of working around this.

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 5:26PM GMT
I am not picturing what you are seeing - can you attach a screen shot to your post, so others can see the issue? I have never had a problem that sounds like what you are describing. If you added two different marriage facts, with different dates, one for each wife, then I would expect the husband's timeline to reflect that. Are you seeing this on all people who have multiple marriages, or is this one particular person?

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 6:53PM GMT
Well, I got it fixed, but it is involved. I'll tell you what I did.

I was in the process of getting some screen prints of different areas. The players are William Kincaid Jump, first wife Susanah Hogg, and second wife Sarah Arnold Burris. I had both marriages and their sources on the file, but with the first marriage, it said Sarah instead of Susanah. So I went to Susanah's record (I didn't like the source that was attached to the fact on her record), so deleted that marriage fact on her record. Then added a new marriage fact attaching William. When I looked at the resulting facts, there was no source, just as I knew there would not be. I then searched for the source again, it showed up and even though it was already attached to their records, it was not check marked in the list. I clicked on it, added it to their records, and then I had the proper facts with the proper information and sources. The final task was to delete the original marriage fact for that date. Now when I look at William's timeline it is correct.

I still feel that the programmer's should fix it so you can fix the marriage fact and not have to delete and re-add and re-source.

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 7:59PM GMT
I'm still not sure what you were trying to do, but here are some tips to be aware of.

Every database in the Ancestry Collection doesn't link/attach exactly the same. When you post about an issue, you have to get very specific about the db you're working with for this reason.

This is the same reason a "fix" can't be realized. Ancestry licenses pre-formatted databases, this means they're not uniformly coded.

If you haven't discovered how to move and re-link citations yet, that might me something you want to look into. There are some good threads that walk you through the process. My guess from reading your posts, is that there was a shortcut to re-positioning the linked citations without deleting the existing events.

Also, don't use the beta review form, that's making a mess, particularly in marriages.

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 11:21PM GMT
Ah yes, the pernicious "improved" review form that's about to be forced upon us all . . . hadn't thought about that as a likely culprit.

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 11:24PM GMT
What in the world are you talking about here?

Also, don't use the beta review form, that's making a mess, particularly in marriages.

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 11:29PM GMT
I was quoting you. Please explain.

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 12:39AM GMT
The review record page, where you are taken to when you choose to link a record from an Ancestry db to a profile in your tree, STILL has the option to use the original (old) or beta (new) form.

Which form are you using? Original or beta?
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic