Search for content in message boards

Publishing Family tree as a video

Publishing Family tree as a video

Posted: 8 Jul 2012 6:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am interested in publishing my family tree as a video. I thought that I may be able to get the attention of the younger members of the family a little bit better if I was able to make it something like a movie.

Of course this is not something for profit, just a method of sharing the tree with the family.

Any suggestions about what software would be best to use or if anyone has seen one done this way, I would love the link or any advice I could get.

Re: Publishing Family tree as a video

Posted: 9 Jul 2012 9:54PM GMT
Can you be more specific about what you envision?

Posted: 9 Jul 2012 10:30PM GMT
I am hoping for something animated.... but not like toy story or something... perhaps a tree where the camera kinda focus's in on the name before beginning to tell about that person... maybe showing the branching off. Kind of like what they do on Finding Your Roots or Who Do You Think You Are

Posted: 9 Jul 2012 11:32PM GMT
That would be cool, unfortunately, I think its a tall order for the software.

Consider making a video with the kids - not only will they learn the process of making a video but it will teach them about their family history.

Posted: 10 Jul 2012 2:11PM GMT
Take a look at Video Capture 15. It should allow you to do what you want.

You could start with the Pedigree screen showing the person and their ancestors, then switch the screen to the person's Profile page showing their spouses and children and maybe add a short story about each or all of them.

Posted: 13 Jul 2012 3:08AM GMT
Edited: 13 Jul 2012 3:19AM GMT
This is a great idea! For video-editing software a little research on the Internet should enable you to find something that meets your price/performance requirements. My personal choice is Camtasia from TechSmith.

One suggestion that may be helpful is to research "Ken Burns effect". The panning and zooming Mr. Burns used in his civil war documentary is recognized as a great technique for incorporating photographs into video.

I hope you will share your project results -- it should be very worthwhile!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions