Search for content in message boards

William Laurens Peterson (spelled how in Sweden????)

William Laurens Peterson (spelled how in Sweden????)

Posted: 11 Jun 2007 3:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Peterson
I have a record that William Laurens Peterson was born in Norra Vi Östergötland Lan in 1740 and immigrated from there to Philadelphia, PA, USA, arriving in October 1771.

Sure would appreciate someone telling me what the Swedish spelling would be.

My information comes from two resources: (1) a Bible record in a 1672 Bible that passed down through the family. Believe the record of it was made circa 1800. (2) A family history compiled by William Laurens Peterson's grandsons and great-grandsons circa 1900.

Any clues on where to look for this information would certainly be appreciated. I will gladly share info.

Re: William Laurens Peterson (spelled how in Sweden????)

Posted: 11 Jun 2007 3:18AM GMT
I forgot to include in my original query that I am seeking any information about this man who was my husband's g.g.g. grandfather. Particularly would like ship's passenger information, names of his parents. . . and the correct spelling? This is the first Scandanavian research that I have tackled.

JOY

Posted: 12 Jun 2007 3:45PM GMT
The Norra Vi (Östergötland county) C:2 births 1706-1741 shows no William Laurens (or Vilhelm Lorentz or similar) born in 1740 (GID 343.13.9900).

Or should it be 1840? Two names for boys were much more common then, and emigration to America was MUCH more common in 1871 than in 1771.

But I don't see him in the Norra Vi births C:4 1781-1861 as born in 1840 (GID 343.15.46600).

Perhaps the wrong birth parish or the wrong year?

// Bo Johansson

Posted: 12 Jun 2007 4:01PM GMT
Surnames: Pettersson, Petersson, Persson, Pehrsson, Pärsson
My first guess about his Swedish name would be Vilhelm/Wilhelm Lorentz Pettersson/Petersson/Persson/Pehrsson/Pärsson.

But it could also have been something like Lars Wilhelm Pettersson.

Or even Wilhelm Larsson, son of Lars Pettersson (or Wilhelm Lorentzson, son of Lorentz Pettersson), where he had "Americanised" his name by using his father's patronymic as a family name.

BTW, in 1890 there were 29429 Vilhelm, 38978 Wilhelm, 105 Villhelm, 68 Willhelm, 396 Villiam, 2088 William, 75 Viliam, 104 Wiliam, 3 Loren, 1356 Lorens, 328 Lorenz, 234 Lorents, 1264 Lorentz, 11 Laurens, 12 Laurenz, 10 Laurents, and 21 Laurentz.

// Bo johansson

Posted: 12 Jun 2007 10:24PM GMT
This person is supposed to have had a son also named William in 1760; a second Henry (Henrik) in May 1761; another son Lemuel (not a Scandinavian name, I don't think, in 1764, and a daughter Nancy in 1766. All children were said to have been born in US. Somehow I had missed that fact when saying that William Laurens came from Sweden to US in 1771. This information is from a purported Bible Record and that would have been impossible. William Laurens is also supposed to have been married to Nancy Janes who was from Wales. . . Again, he wouldn't have married a Welch girl in Sweden.

I wonder if he might have been from some other province??/county??? in Sweden? Is there a nationwide birth register or some way to check registers for the 1740s throughout the nation. Also, was it a requirement that births be registered at that early date? Or were birth registers kept by the churches?

I know, I'm full of questions. Sorry.

Thanks for any help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions