Search for content in message boards

Johann Jacob HOKE-PA 1728

Johann Jacob HOKE-PA 1728

Posted: 1 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 May 2004 3:38PM GMT
Surnames: HOKE, BATCHELOR
I am descended from Johann Jacob Hoke thru his son Samuel (twice). I have researched Samuel myself, but info on other children came from two books: one by Jean Berlekamp; and the other by Bessie Rogers Hoke. Both can be found in the Index at the LDS.

JACOB/JOHANNES JACOB HOKE (s/o ANDREAS) was born 20 Mar 1695 in Mannheim, Rheinland, Preussen, Germany, and died 1766 in York, York Co., PA. He married Anna Maria Schindler in Germany. They landed in Philadelphia 24 Aug 1728 on the ship Mortonhouse. He was a German Reformed minister in Lancaster, PA.

Children of Johann Jacob & Anna Maria Schindler Hoke:
1. GEORG HOKE, b. in Germany; m. ANNA BARBARA LE FEVER; d. Apr 1762 Cumberland Co., PA.
2. SUSANNAH HOKE, b. in Germany; m. WILLIAM SCHRADER/SCHROEDER 14 Aug 1744 Lancaster Co., PA.
3. SAMUEL HOKE, b. in Germany; m. (1) MARIA CATHERINE (UNKNOWN); (2) Hanna (Unknown); d. 1786/1788 Westmoreland Co., PA.
4. JACOB HOKE, b. ca. 1728 either in Germany or on board ship.
5. EVA DOROTHEA HOKE, b. 14 July 1730, Lancaster, PA; m. JACOB BRINDLEY 19 May 1752 York Co., PA.

Johann Jacob Hoke's second wife was ANNA MARGRETHA (UNKNOWN, I have seen Mueller, but it is unproven). She died 1784 in York Co., PA.
Children of JOHANNES JACOB HOKE/HOECK and ANNA MARGARETHA:
6. ANDREAS/ANDREW HOKE, b. 20 Mar 1733, Lancaster Co., PA; d. 03 Jan 1800, Jeffersontown, Jefferson Co, KY; m. ANNA MARIA BARBARA EICHELBERGER.
7. MARIA CLARA HOKE, b. 8 July 1737, Lancaster Co., PA; d. 18 Apr 1812, Hanover, York Co., PA; m. JACOB CONRAD SWOPE/SCHWOB.
8. JOHANN PETER HOKE, b. 06 Oct 1739, Lancaster Co., PA; d. 13 Dec 1804, Manchester Twp., York Co., PA; m. MARIA DOROTHEA SCHMEISER/SMYSER, 1761, PA.
9. JOHN JOHANNES "Hannes" HOKE, b. abt. 1742, Lancaster Co., PA; d. 27 Oct 1781, Manchester Twp., York Co., PA; m. MARIA SABINA SWOPE/SCHWOB.
10. CASPER HOKE, b. 6 Jan 1744, Lancaster Co., PA; d. 16 Jul 1821; m. ANNA MARGARETHA EMICH/EMIG.
11. ANNA MARGARETHA HOKE, b. 17 Feb 1746 Lancaster Co., PA; m. JOHN MICHAEL SCHMEISER/SMYSER.
12. CONRAD HOKE, b. abt. 1748, York Co., NY; d. bef. 1793; m. ELIZABETH (UNKNOWN).
13. FREDERICK HOKE, b. abt. 1750; d. 1771; unmarried
14. JOHN PHILLIP HOKE, b. Jan 1752; d. young; unmarried.
15. JOHN HEINRICH "Henry" HOKE, b. 14 Nov 1754 York Co., PA; d. 24 Feb 1826, Gettysburg, Adams Co., PA; m. HANNAH FERREE, 25 May 1781, PA.
16. CATHARINE HOKE, b. abt. 1760, York Co., PA; m. GEORGE RUDY, 11 Apr 1785, York Co., PA.

Susannah Hoke

Posted: 2 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 29 Apr 2003 11:49PM GMT
Surnames: Hoke, Shrader, Hopper, Blankenship, Cannon

I am related to Susannah Hoke, daughter of Johann Jacob Hoke. She married William Shrader (Schraeder, Schroeder)
Do you have anything else on Susannah or William Shrader?
I understand that William came from the old country on a ship with the rest of his family when he was about 7 years old and he was the only one of his family that survived the trip, and was made an indentured servant of Johann Hoke. Do you have any thing on this?

Thank you for anything you can help me with.

P Gayle Burch
Posted: 2 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 15 May 2004 3:38PM GMT
Surnames: HOKE, BATCHELOR
When I posted the original message, I made a mistake on child 12. CONRAD HOKE, who was born in PA, not York Co., NY. Sorry about that.

Re: Susannah Hoke

Posted: 31 Jul 2001 9:08PM GMT
Edited: 3 Aug 2001 6:15PM GMT
Surnames: HOKE
I have discovered there is a connection between the Susannah Hoke that I have, and the one you seek. Let me know if you want my information. Thanks. Thomas

Re: Johann Jacob HOKE-PA 1728

Posted: 3 Aug 2001 2:47PM GMT
I am interested in the descendants of Samuel Hoke also. I was wondering if you could send me a copy of what you have on him. My mail address is 516 Rose Drive, Belzoni, Miss., 39038, or my email is eagle@belsonicable.com. I would also be interested in Johann Jacob Hoke ancestry. Thanks. Tom

Posted: 3 Aug 2001 2:50PM GMT
I goofed when I gave you my email. It is: eagle@belzonicable.com. Sorry about that. Thanks. Tom

Jan Knox (View posts)
Posted: 19 Aug 2002 1:54AM GMT
Surnames: Hoke, Rudy, Bittenger
You are in error as to when my 3rd greatgrandmother, Catherine Hoke, married my 3rd greatgrandfather, George Rudy. I have a copy of the will of her brother, John, and they were married at the time he wrote it on 5 Oct 1781, as he refers to George as his brother-in-law and made him one of the executors. My research indicates that she was the mother of all of George Rudy's children, except George Rudy, Jr., whose mother was Catherine Bittenger. George, Jr. was born in 1770, his mother died at his birth. I believe Catherine and George married about 1771-73, also making her year of birth earlier than 1760. Other dates I have seen are 1748 and 1753 for her birth. The date you give for their marriage was the date of the final settlement of John Jacob Hoke's estate, after the sale of the house that Anna Margaretha lived in in York, after her death in March of 1785.

Posted: 31 Aug 2002 7:16PM GMT
I think we are related through Casper Hoke. My husband's great-great Grandmother is Amanda Hoke Staley. She was born about 1839 in York County, PA and married Jacob Staley. She died in Adams County, PA on Jan-12-1904.

I think her father may have been Emanuel Hoke and Ellen Louise Hoke. I am usure of his parents.

Do these names sound familiar?
Linda Staley
York Springs, PA (Adams Co.)

Jan Knox (View posts)
Posted: 29 Sep 2002 3:48AM GMT
Surnames: Hoke, Rudy
The marriage date for Catherine Hoke to George Rudy is incorrect. That is the date that Andreas/Andrew Hoke, the executor of his father's estate, divided up the proceeds from the sale of the house that Anna Margaretha Hoke had lived in in York. George Rudy is listed as an executor of the will of Johannes/John Hoke in October of 1781 and referred to as his brother-in-law. I believe Catherine was born about 1755. She is the mother of all the children of George Rudy, except George Jr. so the marriage probably occurred about 1773.

Jan Knox (View posts)
Posted: 13 Oct 2002 6:45PM GMT
Surnames: Hoke, Rudy, Bittenger
People need to use the data in both Hoke books with caution as there are errors in them. The authors did quite a bit of research and it's wonderful to have them as resources. They also relied on data sent by descendants, some of which was passed down as oral history and distorted over the years and they also came to some conclusions of their own, which have proven to be inaccurate. Child #16, Catherine Hoke, is my ggg grandmother. My nearly 40 years of research indicate that she was born much earlier than 1760 (I've run into dates of 1752, 1753 and 1755,also) as she was the mother of all of George Rudy's children except the first, George, Jr., whose mother was Catherine Bittenger, d/o of Nicholas, who left a will in Adams co PA in 1804. George Rudy, Jr. is the only grandchild listed among the heirs and Bittenger researchers state that Catherine only had one child by George Rudy, Jr, born in York co PA on 4 Feb 1770. The three books of York co PA early church records, mostly baptisms, that have been published, give George Rudi and wife as sponsors for Daniel, son of Johannes Hock and Sabina, on 3 April 1774. Johannes/John was one of Catherine's brothers. Daniel was born on 20 Nov 1773. Since Daniel was one of her nephews I'm sure that the wife of George Rudi/Rudy in this instance was Catherine Hoke. I do not believe she was 13 or 14 when she married George. I have more data to share on this family if anyone wishes to e-mail me directly.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions