Search for content in message boards

Howell were of Cherokee/Chostaw descent

Howell were of Cherokee/Chostaw descent

Posted: 18 Jul 2001 4:55AM GMT
Edited: 25 Jul 2001 2:55AM GMT
Hi..my great-grandmom, Bessie Lee Howell, was part Cherokee/choctaw. I am still trying to get valid information regarding this but my mom is emphatic about her Indian heritage.

Re: Howell were of Cherokee/Chostaw descent

Linda [Howell] Reese (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jul 2001 6:42PM GMT
Hi Colleen; Don't feel bad I am of Blackfoot and Chicksaw back ground and I cantell you that it is hard to find anything out about you'r Native American back ground unless you have alot of infromation to go on. I have bren at it for over 4 yr. now but if I can help you can e-mail me at Zunisun@aol.com Linda

Linda [Howell] Reese (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jul 2001 6:43PM GMT
Surnames: Howell
Hi Colleen; Don't feel bad I am of Blackfoot and Chicksaw back ground and I cantell you that it is hard to find anything out about you'r Native American back ground unless you have alot of infromation to go on. I have bren at it for over 4 yr. now but if I can help you can e-mail me at Zunisun@aol.com Linda

Posted: 28 Aug 2001 2:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Oct 2005 5:43AM GMT
Surnames: HOWELL
I too, am of Cherokee descent...have worked on MY tree for 43 years. Found out in 1997 when my paternal ( Indian side) grandmother died at age 94...that I am Cherokee on BOTH sides of my father's family.
There are two books..." CHEROKEE ROOTS, Vol. 1" and "CHEROKEE ROOTS, Vol 2".....which have a great deal of info in them.. They give a list of all the "rolls" taken prior to the 'Trail of Tears"...that is where I found a great deal of info and place to write to for more information.
E-Mail me if you wish...TennesseeSilver@aol.com
a.k.a. Pat

Brett Howell (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2001 12:15PM GMT
My Grandmother Besty Lee Howell was at least half Cherokee/Chostaw (Same tribe, different names). I was about 4 Y/O last time I saw her in the Porterville, Ca. Hospital. She passed away the next day of cancer. So that was 1962 or 1963. All I remembered was when my dad was mad if we could make it to Grandma Besty we were safe. I did not know anything about our heritage back then, but about 10 years ago I started checking out the Indian Rolls. I remember a lot of names that were 100% indian and their given race was "White".
An Indian back then was consider a 2nd or 3rd class and not even a citizen.
My daughter has the Indian features so much so that she is offen asked "What Tribe" and she answers, "Howell"
Brett

Colleen Graham (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2001 7:25PM GMT
Surnames: Howell, Wallace
Bessie Lee Howell married a Paddock in Oklahoma. She passed away in late 1990's. She was over 90 years old. She is also one who raised at least 12 chilldren herself because 1st husband died from TB. Her 2nd husband added children to the family from his previous wife's childbearing (she died). Bessie's heritage includes a Pearlie who loved smoking a cob pipein the lines. Recognize it? Bessie was married to a Wallace prior to that marriage.

Posted: 9 Feb 2002 10:28PM GMT
Edited: 16 Apr 2005 2:15AM GMT
i've been researching the howells. my great great grandma was bertha howell- boyher.my grandma says that bessie's mom ( if it's the same bessie howell) martha jane ireland-howell was where the cherokee blood came from. she was married to george washington howell. my grandma said martha had a huge amt of cherokee and it was apparent by her appearance. i havent been able to prove that though

Posted: 11 Feb 2002 7:56AM GMT
Edited: 14 Mar 2002 5:14AM GMT
Your names such as George Washington Howell has a familar ring to it check out the link below and it will take you a one branch of Howell's.
My mother use to say the same thing and she cannot remember the name but she knew her dad had an indian name. But it could of came from his mother.

http://hometown.aol.com/Donna52/index.html

R. A. Howell, Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 19 Aug 2003 7:49PM GMT
Linda - just started to look for my native american back ground - running into a wall. I have a lot of family around Como, N.C. and Hertford County, N.C. Would like to compare out notes. R. A.

Posted: 22 Aug 2013 5:44AM GMT
Surnames: Howell
Do you know if she was married to George Washington Howell?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions