Search for content in message boards

Inu

Inu

Lois (View posts)
Posted: 8 Sep 2005 10:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Inu, Darnell, Thurman, Mick, Borton, Johnson, Rolfe, Butcher
I have been told that one of my ancestors had the surname Inu and was born in 1780. Her ancestors were supposedly from England. I am having trouble researching the name. Can anyone tell me if Inu is actually a surname?

Is Inu actually a surname?

Myrt :) (View posts)
Posted: 17 Sep 2005 12:10AM GMT
Edited: 17 Sep 2005 12:11AM GMT
DearMYRTLE, your friend in genealogy
--------------------------------------------------------
Is Inu actually a surname?

DearMYRTLE,
I have been told that one of my ancestors had the surname Inu and was orn in 1780. Her ancestors were supposedly from England. I am having trouble researching the name. Can anyone tell me if Inu is actually a surname?

DearLOIS,
Yours was an interesting question, and here's how I determined INU is in fact a surname, with several derivations: Ino, Eno, Ani, Ana and Inouye to name a few.

FAMILYSEARCH.ORG
I went to www.familysearch.org, and typed "Inu" without quotes in the last name field before clicking the search button. There hit list included 190 individuals who lived in Japan, the Pacific Islands, Canada, the US even one or two from England and one from Germany.

One entry lists a Robert Inu who married an unnamed woman on Oct 17, 1736 in Gloucester, England. This entry is not a strong lead because the source citation merely mentioned the information has been submitted by an individual. Use the information as a clue. See WHAT’S NEXT below.

Also included was a gentleman named WILHELMUS INU who married MARIA HARTHLAUFF June 9, 1704. To obtain a copy of the original church book entry, you could click to discover that the source was an extracted record on LDS microfilm 0176100, of the Katholisch (Catholic) Parish
register transcripts of baptisms, marriages and deaths 1662 - 1809 for Burg (Wupper), Rheinland, Preussen, Germany. Because the source citation references an original record rather than a patron submission, the entry is more likely reliable.

WHAT’S NEXT
While ol’ Myrt here is sure that we could visit other websites for more information about the INU surname, it is essential to work systematically backwards using original documents (most often on microfilm) to establish the links from one generation to the previous. Gather everything you can on the known ancestor for more clues about the place in England where her ancestors were born.

If Gloucester is the right place in England, then begin by looking at church records of christening and marriage in Gloucester. No you don’t have to go there in person. Just see what’s available on microfilm through www.FamilySearch.org, and then order and view the films at one of 4,000+ local LDS Family History Centers located throughout the world. Sometime within the next six years nearly all of the 3 million
microfilms at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, will be available on the internet. But don’t wait!

Happy family tree climbing!
Myrt :)
DearMYRTLE,
6023 26th Street West PMB 352
Bradenton, FL 34207
www.DearMYRTLE.com

READERS' FEEDBACK: Is Inu a surname?

Posted: 17 Sep 2005 12:17AM GMT
DearMYRTLE, your friend in genealogy
READERS' FEEDBACK: Is Inu a surname?

NOTE: While I am at my sister's home following the funeral, ol' Myrt here will post my new columns on this mailing list and on my message board, but not at www.DearMYRTLE.com or on my blog. I will have a bit
of catch-up to play when I return home next week, eh?

RE: Is Inu a surname?
http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/admin.message/an/topics.me...

DearMYRTLE,
Occasionally the confusion about a surname like INU arises because someone actually saw LNU on a document and misread it. Although LNU is also a surname, it more commonly means 'last name unknown' and is found on many old documents. Similar problems arise from FNU ('first name unknown) and MNU (middle name unknown). It is wise to eliminate these acronyms, along with UNK, from family tree
programs and reports so that the mistakes don't keep being passed on.

I just wanted to thank for for your easy-to-follow & understand
step-by-step approach to research, as illustrated in the subject email. It is a God-send! God bless!

DearMYRTLE,
But how about "UNK," "NMN" and "NMI" ? ;-)

My wild guess for the day is that "Inu" is a misreading of "Jno" in 1780s handwriting. That's the old abbreviation for John, though I've had a newbie protest that couldn't be, it had be something longer like Jonathan. As you know, capital J and capital I could look much alike.

Another possibility -- "Ines," or Innes, one of my ancestors. Also spelled or read as "Ives." [James Innes made will 4 Mch 1703, Baltimore MD.]
Posted: 3 Jul 2011 4:57PM GMT
I also have Nancy Inu 1780 as family member.. hope you still are on line.. maybe we could help each other.. carolstallein@yahoo.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions