Search for content in message boards

Prodigy Software (needed?)

Prodigy Software (needed?)

Posted: 29 Aug 2012 7:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am attempting to recover the genealogical work of a family historian who died in 1998. I have her "back-up" disks (63 of them!) and they appear to be in a compressed format. Apparently she used Prodigy as I have a hardcopy printout giving a report on her successful backup with the name Prodigy listed on it. I also have an original Prodigy version 1.1 for Windows disk. I've tried to install the software but my machine is telling me the disk is not formatted. QUESTIONS: Does anyone have the same software that I can barrow? And does anyone remember how this software was used? Please help.

Re: Prodigy Software (needed?)

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 9:45AM GMT
Most modern tree programs will IMPORT files in different formats. What is the file extention on the disk that you have?

Posted: 30 Aug 2012 4:13PM GMT
Yes, correct. The first thing I tried was conducting an Import into my genealogy software; Roots Magic. No luck. I also contacted Roots Magic and was told they only support the basic modern formats. I also tried the same thing in PAF from the LDS. Nothing. The extentions are .001, .002, .003 etc for each of the 60 plus disks I have. I've also tried changing an extentions to match the programs (.paf for example) still nothing. So now I'm thinking these files were/are compressed. I've tried opening them in PKZIP, WinZIP, TUGZIP, etc...nothing. FYI the full file names are always CC60811A.001, 002 etc. Any ideas?

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 2:20AM GMT
Did it perhaps use an older compression format like .arc or something similar?

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 4:01AM GMT
I don't know. But I think that if I had a working copy of the software I could make them open. Once they are in a program platform, I will GEDCOM them.

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 9:38AM GMT
I am becoming a little suspicious now. I'm not sure you have what you think on those disks, you may have a windoze (or even DOS) backup of the whole hard drive. Backup used to use the .001, .002 sequence and we don't have to go back too many years before 60MB of hard drive was a BIG PC. IF you can persuade a text editor (notepad or Qedit) to open the LAST disk, you may find some clues in the data there. Backup used to record the date and no of disks used (and IIRC the windoze version) on this final disk.

You MIGHT be able to restore the whole lot to an extenal drive, and then use just the files you are interested in. But the DOS commands take a bit of driving from a modern version of windoze.
Good luck Rob

Posted: 31 Aug 2012 9:52PM GMT
Thanks a lot for all your help. I viewed the LAST disk, and a few others in WordPad. Most everything is written in Marsen (funny looking characters). But at the front and back of the file there is some English. At the top it says "Norton V 2A" and "P Version 1.0 for Microsoft (No Decscription)". At the end of the file I see "XTG_ZIP1XTP". I Googled the ZIP language and found a file that says it would open a file like that, but only if it had a .zip entention (already tried that). When I went to download the file, my virus scan went crazy...so I backed of. See any clues here?

Posted: 5 Sep 2012 10:26AM GMT
I would be fairly sure that you have a full backup taken with one of the old Norton secure backup programs. I am afraid thet I can't help you with which one, nor how to restore from these disks. You could try an email to Norton customer support......

Rob

Posted: 5 Sep 2012 3:40PM GMT
Thanks Rob. Thank you for all your help. Your hints made me go back and start looking at the box full of other disks I received. I found some named Family Roots (another program who's maker is now out of business) and am working to restore that data. This stuff all goes back to 1993. Back then our machines were 32 bit and best. I'm running Win7 and 64 bit. I was able to find some people who are having, or have had, the same tech issues and they are helping me put all the pieces back together. The lesson here is to not only back-up to GENCOMS but to back-up to hardcopy. When all else fails, someone can come along and restore/or retype as needed. These are the histories of real people after all (okay, climbing down off my soap box now.) Again, thank you sir. Aaron Tassin, Cameron Park, CA

Re: Prodigy Software (needed?) Got ot Working --- Family Roots v4

Posted: 6 Sep 2012 5:55AM GMT
UPDATE: Got this working. For anyone trying to work with old Family Roots data...please see http://bassett.net/famroots/frupgradefaq.shtml

All I need to do now is clean up the GEDCOMS (.GED) files and post them.

Thank You!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic