Search for content in message boards

Needed AMT and FTM sync difference report we can run on demand

Needed AMT and FTM sync difference report we can run on demand

Posted: 28 Mar 2013 8:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Mar 2013 3:10PM GMT
While TreeSync has gotten much better over time, but there are still so many who have errors and duplications.

What we users need is the ability to run a comparison utility that will determine and report the differences between the AMT and FTM. We could then determine what and where to fix the messed up data. We know our data better than any program could.

the ultimate would be to eventually have a utility that would present both records to us, and let us decide which to keep or edit as necessary. That may be a bigger challenge to do "online", but I can wish none the less.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Re: Needed SYNC difference report we can run on demand

Posted: 28 Mar 2013 9:08PM GMT
Sounds a really good idea. Have you written it up and passed it along as a suggestion?

Posted: 28 Mar 2013 11:00PM GMT
Yes. Join me?

Posted: 28 Mar 2013 11:20PM GMT
Short-term - before, until or if ancestry does not create such a report - there is probably a relatively easy workaround.

I'm not a GEDCOM expert or an expert with custom FTM reports, but it could probably be done as a comparison of 2 GEDCOMs - one created from FTM and one created from AMT.

Silverfox are you there? You have the most reporting expertise of anyone I have noticed on the boards.

Re: Needed AMT and FTM sync difference report we can run on demand

Posted: 4 Apr 2013 2:51PM GMT
ginglish1,
Thanks for the suggestion. I passed this along to our FTM people and they appreciated the feedback as well because they are continually trying to improve TreeSync. They also mentioned that concept behind your idea is something they have looked into and in some cases have experimented with. So it's certainly on their radar.

-Dave M.
Ancestry.com Product Team
per page

Find a board about a specific topic