Search for content in message boards

Pierre Lejeune/Edmee Lejeune/Catherin Lejeune/MicMac Mom?

Pierre Lejeune/Edmee Lejeune/Catherin Lejeune/MicMac Mom?

Posted: 11 Aug 2011 1:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
I've been doing the research on my Mazarolle ancestors and discoverd a line straight up to Edmee Lejeune. She is my 8th GGM. THere seems to be a controversy over if her father Pierre married a Micmac Indian woman. My Edmee was born in France, along with her sister Catherine and their brother, Pierre. I have a cousin from Catherine's line that has had mtDNA testing done, and it doesn't show any North American contributors. Does anyone know if this woman (I've seen several names) had a European Mother? Any help or clarification would be great!

Re: Pierre Lejeune/Edmee Lejeune/Catherin Lejeune/MicMac Mom?

Posted: 17 Nov 2011 8:25PM GMT
I also am curious about this Micmac lineage and would love to see any source information which you may have. The link below is very interesting, from the Native American view of controversy.

http://www.brasdorfirstnation.com/Study/Lejeune_Study.php

I have read some accountings about the early explorers and their adoption into the tribes and how they would be listed as a member upon adoption. Perhaps there is some truth to both views.
Please share any theory or proof which you may stumble across. thnx

Posted: 19 Nov 2011 4:36PM GMT
Surnames: Lejeune
The parents of Edmee Lejeune and her sister Catherine are unknown. However, Pierre Lejeune dit Briard was not their brother. Stephen White has issued a correction to his Dictionnaire Genealogique part 1 (DGFA-1) removing "dit Briard" from the names of Edmée and Catherine. See the April 2011 correction to page 1048 here
http://www.umoncton.ca/umcm-ceaac/files/umcm-ceaac/wf/wf/pdf...
For more information on the results of mtDNA testing, you may wish to consult Lucie's Acadian Ancestral Home site at
http://www.acadian-home.org
Regards,
Maurice

Posted: 19 Nov 2011 7:00PM GMT
Like you wrote, this site gives the Native American view. However, it does have a few errors worth mentioning.

First, it shows Pierre Lejeune (1), father of Pierre (2) and Martin, as a brother to the sisters Edmée and Catherine. The absence of a dispensation for the marriage of Nicolas Prejean, grandson of Francois Savoie and Catherine Lejeune, with Euphrosine Labauve, grand-daughter of Pierre Lejeune (2) and Marie Thibodeau (Rg St-Servan 8 jan 1760), leads us to believe that Catherine Lejeune was not the sister of the father of Pierre Lejeune (2). If Pierre Lejeune (1), g-g-father of Euphrosine, had been a brother to Catherine, a dispensation of the 3rd to the 4th degree of consanguinity would have been required for this marriage. (Ref. Stephen White's april 2011 corrections to page 1051 of the DGFA-1.)

Secondly, Jeanne Lejeune, the spouse of Francois Joseph and Jean Gaudet, is shown as a sister to Pierre (2) and Martin. While Stephen White admits this possibility, he notes that it is also possible that she had other parents. For the full explanation, see the corrections mentioned above.

Third, it shows an unknown spouse for Pierre as having haplogroup A. In fact, his spouse was an unknown daughter of Germain Doucet, and mtDNA results show her mother with a European haplogroup (T2). This mtDNA result is confirmed by 3 lines through Marguerite Doucet who had married Abraham Dugas. The supposition that Jeanne Lejeune (haplogroup A) was the daughter of Pierre Lejeune (2) is contradicted by these results. The mother of Jeanne Lejeune (haplogroup A) could not have been a sister of Marguerite Doucet. The web site does suggest the possibility that Germain Doucet would have had another spouse, of Native American origin, who would have been the mother of Jeanne Lejeune (haplogroup A). It is unfortunate that this supposition is not supported by other independent records.

Regards,

Maurice
per page

Find a board about a specific topic