Ancestry

Search for content in message boards

How can I display my entire family tree

How can I display my entire family tree

Posted: 13 Sep 2012 9:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm looking for a way to display my whole family tree - root and branch so to speak - in a single screen (doesn't need a print option), some of our family connections are very convoluted and it would be handy to see everyones connections in one go, does anyone know of a magical piece of software that will do that?

Re: How can I display my entire family tree

Posted: 13 Sep 2012 6:33PM GMT
Unless it is a very small tree, the font would be so small that most trees would be unreadable onscreen.

Posted: 18 Sep 2012 12:40PM GMT
AFAIK, no one has come up with a really good system for doing this, yet. Ancestry.com's tree viewer is one of the best I've seen and even it can't display entire trees but rather collapses parts of the tree into an icon until you click on it. Frankly, I think you would need some sort of 3D printer or holographic projection system to make viewing your entire tree practical.

Posted: 18 Sep 2012 1:45PM GMT
Cheers folks - it wasn't to use it as a viewer as such it was to see any odd links between families or where I'd connected an Ancestry link to the wrong person - we seem to have a LOT of traditional christian names in use so it's really easy to link to the wrong John/James/Alfred lol

Posted: 3 Nov 2012 12:26PM GMT
Have a looke at "Kith and Kin" ~ different way of looking at things and the ability to have seperate layers helps with complex pictures

Posted: 16 Sep 2015 3:55PM GMT
I am looking for the same thing! Have you found a solution?

Posted: 3 Feb 2016 2:49PM GMT
TREEVIEW (google it as I got slapped for posting a lync) is a FREE resource online where you can upload your GEDCOM and although isn't feature rich has the one feature that you are requesting - view ALL tree.
I wanted to be able to navigate on screen ALL my tree without clicking.
yes, you have to zoom around but its nice to see it in one huge tree.
hope that helps you.

Posted: 15 Apr 2016 7:31AM GMT
Edited: 15 Apr 2016 7:32AM GMT
It depends on the size of your tree. I use the Family Tree Maker program. It has a feature called an All-in-one Family Tree. As the name suggests, it shows everything at once in one big tree chart no matter how it is connected. I haven't been able to use it for many years though because my tree is so large that it freezes the computer every time I try to load it. I think the last time I succeeded was when it had around 10,000 individuals or maybe a little less, so if your tree is that size or smaller it would probably work. The program calculated the dimensions as being about 300 feet long, so of course I didn't print it.

I haven't used the newer versions of Family Tree Maker much (because the data entry is too slow) so I don't know if they still have the All-in-one trees. I currently use FTM 2006 and I think several of the earlier ones had it too, but I'm not sure which ones.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic