Search for content in message boards

The book The Settling of Spaniard's Bay, by Eric Gosse

The book The Settling of Spaniard's Bay, by Eric Gosse

Anne Gosse (View posts)
Posted: 25 Nov 2003 9:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
I found on-line on the NFL web site a book called The Settling of Spaniard's Bay by Eric M. Gosse. I wrote to Harry Cuff Publications in St Johns by my letter was returned so I assume the business is closed. As you can see I am a Gosse and it has several of my ancestors in it. Any help would be appricated. Thank you from BC, Canada

Re: The book The Settling of Spaniard's Bay, by Eric Gosse

Wayne Neil (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jan 2004 4:32PM GMT
Hello Anne; I have a copy of the book, "The Settling Of Spaniard's Bay" by Eric Martin Gosse. He lived across the road from my father. My family knew him well. There are aren't a lot of referrences to any one family, but I can help you with anything that you are looking for. I have a lot of names and information in addition to what is in the book. Let me know what you are looking for. I will need the name of any individual that you are looking for, any dates for them, or who they were related to and I will give you what I Have for them. You do not need to limit yourself to the Gosse name. I have just about every family name from Spaniard's Bay. Bye for now. Wayne

Bob Jarvis (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jan 2004 12:28AM GMT
Surnames: Ryan,Costigan
Hello Wayne,
I'm interested in a John Ryan who lived in Spaniard's Bay. He was my 2xgr.grandfather. he was married to Johanna(Costigan)Ryan. Their daughter,Bridget Grace or Grace Bridget Ryan, was my gr.grandmother who supposedly was born in Spaniard's Bay circa 1856. She had brothers Maurice,Thomas and John Ryan.Bridget Ryan married my gr.grandfather William Ford circa 1880; he hailed from Western Bay. Do you have anything on this family? Regards.

Wayne Neil (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jan 2004 1:37AM GMT
Hello Bob;
I am sorry to say that I don't have any more than what you have. Do you have any other name that is related. I have so many names from so many families but I do not have a relationship for many of them. I also have a lot of people with the same names from the same times but no definite way to tell which one is which. Record books don't always help with that. Hope that I can help you with something else. Bye for now. Wayne

M. Pilkington (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jan 2004 3:53AM GMT
Surnames: Collins, Gosse
Hi, Wayne:

Nothing like jumping in on someone else's message, but I'm also researching families in Spaniard's Bay, particularly the Collins family. Timothy Collins is mentioned in Eric Gosse's book as one of the earliest settlers, and I'm wondering if you have any information on him or on his family.

Thanks.

Marilyn Collins Pilkington

Anne Gosse (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2004 5:58PM GMT
Dear Wayne,
Thank you for your reply to my query. I did manage to get a copy of Eric Gosses book The Settling of Spaniards Bay and have been reading it. It is very thrilling. Yes, I would love to have any other further information on the Gosses that you could supply. This is what I have. My husband, when he was young had a handwritten genealogy chart given to him recording this.
Richard Gosse1677
William Gosse 1725
Robert Gosse 1766
Isreal Gosse 1802 - Sarah Sheppard
Josiah Gosse1840 - Jane Alcock
Cyril Gosse 1864 and Lydia this is the ones who came to BC. My husbands grandfather was Cyril Gosse
What I would like if possible is any more stories about the above and any further information. I am attempting to write a family history story for our family only. Any genealogy charts would also help.Thank you kindly. Anne Gosse

Posted: 6 Jan 2004 7:12AM GMT
Edited: 19 Feb 2005 5:38PM GMT
Hi Anne and Wayne
I read your messages and I'm hoping that one of you can help fill in some information on a Margaret Gosse about born 1869 in Spaniard's Bay died May 27,1921 on Bell Island. She was married to John Ryan from Spaniard's Bay.
I also have a Mary Gosse married to David Whelan but I don't know where Mary is from. I have another Mary Gosse born about 1889 in Brigus married to Thomas Craig from Bell Island. The last Gosse that I have in my records is a Sandra Gosse married to Robert Fitzpatrick.But I have no further information on her.Robert Fitzpatrick's parents died on Bell Island but I don't know if Robert was born there or not.
I was also told by my aunt that we are related to the Gosse's but I haven't been able to connect our family to them yet. Do you have any Gosse family member married to McGrath or Cole families from Collier's?
I would love to find the link that my aunt was referring too. Hope to hear from you soon. Take care.

Tish

Posted: 6 Jan 2004 7:31AM GMT
Edited: 19 Feb 2005 5:38PM GMT
Hi Bob
I'm also researching the surnames Ryan and Costigan in Spaniard's Bay. Also the surname Ford from Island Cove area. I have 3 John Ryan's in my family tree program but neither one is married to Johanna Costigan. The Johanna Costigan that I have listed was from Harbour Main and she was married to Patrick Corbett.
I also have 3 William Ford listed in my family tree. The first one is from Island Cove married Johanna Quilty. The second one married Joyce Bennett and the third William married a Candace Mercer.
I would be interested in sharing information on these surnames with you. If you are interested contact me off list at pmbyrne@shaw.ca
Take care.

Tish

Bob Jarvis (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jan 2004 5:55PM GMT
Hi Tish,
Isn't it more than coincidental that you and I have similar surnames located in a small geographical area of NFLD. and none seems to fit! My Johanna(Costigan)Ryan was supposedly born in Harbour Grace but, could that be Harbour Main? She was born circa 1833 and was the daughter of John Costigan, sic"Custeen" in the records and Julia Cashin/Cashen.They were married in St.John's in 1815.
My gr.grandfather William Ford was born in 1850 in Western Bay, the son of Edward Ford and Ann Doyle.Edward Ford was the son of Jeremiah Ford and Anne Whiteway and was born in 1830. Jeremiah Ford hailed from Waterford,Ire. Anne Whiteway was the daughter of William Whiteway and Ann Penney or Perry.Ann Doyle was the daughter of Laurence Doyle and Mary Quinn.
Johanna(Costigan)Ryan died in Boston in Nov., 1898. She was interred in St.John's,Nfld, I assume that she was buried with her husband John Ryan who died before the Fords and Ryans emigrated to the "Boston States" in 1885/6. A couple of collaterall families came with them-the Hanrahans and Bouzans. Bob Jarvis

Anne (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jan 2004 5:29PM GMT
Dear Wayne, thank you for your reply to my query. I am having trouble answering this web site so I am not sure if you received my replay a few days ago. It does not look like it so I am doing it again. Anyway, I did get a copy of the Settling of Spaniards Bay by Eric Gosse and it is very thrilling to read. I would like any information you have about the Gosses. I am interested in getting a genealogy chart, and any more stories about them. I see you lived across the road from Eric Gosse. I believe we are related through Robert Gosse. My husbands ancestors were related through Richard 1677, William 1725, Robert 1766, Isreal 1802, Josiah 1840, Cyril 1864, all Gosse. The last one is my husbands grandfather. Any further help regarding genealogy charts or stories would help. Thanking you kindly Anne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic