Search for content in message boards

New Light District

New Light District

Posted: 31 Oct 2001 9:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Allen, Stancil, Johnson
Does anyone happen to have any information on the New Light district of Wake County? Where is it located in the county? I'd love to know something of the history of the area.

Carla Stancil Townsend
Holly Springs, NC

Re: New Light District

Posted: 15 Nov 2001 2:39AM GMT
Edited: 27 Feb 2002 3:19AM GMT
Carla,
What I know as New Light community is in northern Wake County near Bartons Creek across highway 98 (close to Falls Lake). Elizabeth Murray's book on Wake County has this paragraph: "...the New Light (now Baptist) Church in northern Wake County, was organized in 1775, and is repeatedly referred to in court records as 'New Light Meeting House.' its name derives from a mid-eighteenth-century movement, away from established churches, by people who were called 'New Lights.' Subsequently New Light Township (earlier, 'District') in which the church is located took its name from that religious group, as had a creek in the same area."

New Light creek feeds into Falls Lake.

Hope this helps.

Bobby

Posted: 15 Nov 2001 3:37PM GMT
Surnames: Allen, Stancil, Johnson
Bobby - what interesting information! Thanks for your response.

My grandparents were married in the New Light district. Your information is quite helpful in determining where in the area the families might have lived in the 1920s.

Carla

Elizabeth Murray's book on Wake County

Posted: 17 Nov 2001 9:58PM GMT
Surnames: Stancil, Johnson, Allen
Can anyone provide the full title of this book?

Many thanks!

Carla Stancil Townsend

Re: Elizabeth Murray's book on Wake County

Posted: 19 Nov 2001 1:22AM GMT
Carla,

This history book is by Elizabeth Reid Murray and the title is Wake - Capital County of North Carolina. It should be available in any of the local libraries. I purchased a copy when it first was published and think it may be still be available for purchase at the History Museum gift shop or you may check the North Carolina section at the larger book stores.

Bobby

Lesley Snyder (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2001 9:28PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Hand, Freeland,Hopkin, Johnson,Kennedy, Merrins,Santarelli, Allen
Can you tell me what kind of info--ie. dates and major events in the book?

Posted: 3 Dec 2001 2:02AM GMT
Lesley,

The Murray book on Wake County is basically a "history" book which details the beginning and growth of the county and it's communities from their founding until the 20th century. Really a good book if you are into this sort of thing.

Thanks,
Bobby

Posted: 11 Dec 2001 11:01PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jun 2005 11:49PM GMT
Surnames: DAVIS, CAMPBELL
Bobby,
My Davis ancestors lived in the New Light District of Wake County in the late 1700's - early 1800's. Do you know if any old cemeteries were displaced by the Falls Creek Reservoir?

Posted: 12 Dec 2001 2:27AM GMT
Melissa,

As large as Falls Lake is, I am certain that a number of cemeteries were displaced but I have no idea where they may have been relocated. Since this a Corp of Engineers lake, they may have records. I do know that there is a small cemetery located on the Falls side of the dam that have some turn of the century burials.

Wish I could help more.

Bobby
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions