Search for content in message boards

Crows Point, Va.

Crows Point, Va.

Posted: 28 Mar 2006 7:20PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Aug 2006 9:46PM GMT
We have a letter written during the Civil War by my husbands gggrandfather, J.C. Winebrenner, addressed to his wife in Crows Point, Va. Could this possibly be the town of Crows today or is this Crows Point no longer in existence? J.C. Winebrenner's wife was Mary Frances Stone, daughter of a William and Jane Stone. Family tradition says the family owned an Inn during the war. Any information about this location would be appreciated. This Winebrenner family immigrated to Clarksburg, Mo. in 1868.

Re: Crows Point, Va.

Leon Kersey (View posts)
Posted: 10 Sep 2006 5:48PM GMT
Hi Dottie Crows is just a fork in the road, so to speak. It's in Alleghany County where route 159 meets route 311. John Crow had an inn there back in the early 1800s. I don't recall it ever being referred to as "Point", but I'm sure this is the place. The Stones had a hotel a few miles south of Crows at Sweet Chalybeate, Va. I am from the area and still have family there. If I can be of any help, let me know.

Posted: 22 Jan 2011 5:15PM GMT
Hi Leon, it's been quite awhile since we communicated. Thank's for replying to my queary about Crow's Point. I also was pretty sure that the present day Crow's was the Crow's Point on the letter written during the Civil War. As I had said before the family tradition was that Mary Frances Stone Winebrenner's family ran an Inn. You had stated that a John Crow had run an Inn at Crow's in the early 1800's. I just recently found an old family photo of the Winebrenner's on their 50th anniversary and hand written on the back it stated that Mary Stone Winebrenner's mother's name was Brown, which I already knew, and it stated that her mother's name was Crow. Now I am certain that the Inn ran by John Crow was most surely the Inn of family legend.
Do you know if there is any remaining site of the Inn, or would be any information concerning where it was or anything like that, should I get out that way again some time?
Dottie Gump

Posted: 4 Mar 2012 4:55PM GMT
Hi Dottie. Sorry it took me so long to get your message, I just have not been on this site.I have a very recent picture here somewhere of what there is on the site today. Someone built a house where the old inn stood, and the only thing left from the old place is a small building. My friend and classmate Jimmy Ruble's grandmother use to live in the house section of the inn while it was still standing, and I remember touring the Inn as a 4th grader (about1957-8). The area has a rich history, due to being a good route west and the local resorts built around springs.You might want to Google info on Sweet Chalybeate, Va. and Sweet Springs, WV(Monroe Co.). They are just west of Crows, and your families were living there. I will find my pictures and send them. Leon

Posted: 6 Mar 2012 2:04AM GMT
Hi,
I don't know if you are aware of the Alleghany Highlands Genealogical Society that is located at 515 East Pine Street in Covington, VA. The Society is a grassroots organization that has a library and maintains records of families in the Alleghany County, VA area. They can probably help with your search. They also have a site on Rootsweb. It is: http://www.Rootsweb.com/~vaallegh/
You may want to check them out. There is probably a member of the society that is reseraching the family and can help you. Donna

Posted: 6 Mar 2012 3:19PM GMT
Hi Donna. I used to go to their old location when I was in the area and had the time, but I haven't been to the new location.I am from the old Alleghany Station area, and most of my ancesters are from Alleghany, Monroe, Greenbrier counties.Do you happen to know if there is any map indicating the area of Alleghany Co. that came from Monroe Co. or Greenbrier Co. when it was formed in 1822. Thanks. Leon

Posted: 6 Mar 2012 3:54PM GMT
Hi Leon, thanks for replying. I was very interested in what you shared with me. If you have any pictures from Crows I would of course be delighted to see them. We have been through Allegany county a few times in the past and never stopped there, but I will certainly make a point to stop there when and if we are ever out that way again.

Dottie

Posted: 6 Mar 2012 3:55PM GMT
Thanks Donna, I am going to check out this rootsweb site.

Dottie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions