Search for content in message boards

Families / Couples in 1790 census in US (or in 1790 in Canada)

Families / Couples in 1790 census in US (or in 1790 in Canada)

Posted: 8 Jul 2009 8:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Greenlaw, Kidder
Hello. I continue to look for the parents of my ancestor, Mercy GREENLAW, born 1775-1780 in "Maine." And, putting my thoughts together, I decided to look for which couples were in "Maine" in the 1790 census.

GREENLAW, WILLIAM (1790 U.S. Census)
MAINE , HANCOCK, DEER ISLE
Series: M637 Roll: 2 Page: 63

That man seems to have had a wife and 5 children.

GREENLAW, WILLIAM (1790 U.S. Census)
MAINE , LINCOLN, WALDOBOROUGH
Series: M637 Roll: 2 Page: 295

That page is hard to read and I'm not spotting him in the handwriting.

GREENLAW, JOHN (1790 U.S. Census)
MAINE , CUMBERLAND, GORHAM & SCARBOROU
Series: M637 Roll: 2 Page: 143

That man seems to have a wife and 2 children.

I read that some couples moved over to New Brunswick ~1784 when New Brunswick was annexing off of Nova Scotia. So, they wouldn't be in the US 1790 census. So, Mercy could have been in one of the above families, but she could have been part of the families which moved to New Brunswick.

Since she married in New Brunswick in 1798, she must have been in New Brunswick for a while. Calvin KIDDER lived in St. David, NB, and then St. Stephen, NB, and nearby towns, like Milltown. So, in order for him to meet Mercy GREENLAW, she would have had to have either lived in New Brunswick, or visited there. (And the above couples were not in Washington Co., ME.)

So, my thought for this afternoon is that Mercy GREENLAW was born in "Maine" ~1780 but she might have been part of one of the families which moved to New Brunswick during the 1780's. It's too bad we don't have access to a 1790 or 1800 census for Canada.

I'll have to go look at the old postings and find the names of the GREENLAW sons which arrived in 1750's.

Betty (near Lowell, MA)

Re: Families / Couples in 1790 census in US (or in 1790 in Canada)

Posted: 8 Jul 2009 9:07PM GMT
Surnames: Greenlaw

Hi again. I don't remember where I found this information (on-line), but from an old posting, I said that William and Jane GREENLAW's sons were:

James, William, Jonathan, Ebenezer, Charles, Alexander, and _____.

If the US 1790 census is only showing a John and 2 Williams, does that mean that James, Ebenezer, Charles, Alexander, and ____ all moved over to New Brunswick?

Betty (near Lowell, MA)

Re: Families / Couples in 1790 census in US (or in 1790 in Canada)

Posted: 9 Jul 2009 3:49AM GMT
I think that some of them moved to Boston - this is my husband's family. His ancestor is John, son of this William. I am away from home and have no access to my records except for the following note on my computer:

William is said to have had two wives and at least 13 children.

Sources: Charles R. Greenlaw “ The Greenlaw family” , Cyrus Eaton”Annals of the Town of Warren: (Maine); Velma Greenlaw Peabody; Doris Greenlaw DeWolfe; Agnes Lund Bonnell and family, Charles Greenlaw family; tombstones in Brownfield & Westbrook, ME; Hosmer “Hx. of Deer Isle.” -

Wm. & Jane Greenlaw and several sons came to North America in 1753 from Grenoch Scotland on the Brig Dolphin. Wm, son of Wm. & Jane, lived with the rest of the Greenlaws in forts in the St. Georges River region as part of the land patent of Gen. Samuel Waldo for about ten years during French and Indian Wars. In 1762 were in Deer Isle Me ; there for about 10 years (1762 - 1772) . Wm. married (Boston records) Eliz. Fossett who died in 1771. Afterward he remarried, and settled at Bristol and Georgetown, ME.

Brothers Jonathan, Ebenezer, Charles and Alexander were loyalists and went to St. Andrews N.B. in 1783. They received land grants from the British in N.B.

William and Richard, sons of Jonathan and Elizabeth (Lamb) Greenlaw (4) returned to Deer Isle ME 1784 and 1790.

Wm. son of Wm. and Jane had a son John (our ancestor) who served with the patriots in the Revolution; famiy oral hx says he later received a land grant based on his service, but this has not been verified. He and his wife Lucy did receive pensions based on military service. See sources.- John and Lucy are buried in Brownfield, ME.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic