Search for content in message boards

6 Tarver brothers in Revolutionary War-- John, Benjamin and ??

6 Tarver brothers in Revolutionary War-- John, Benjamin and ??

Posted: 21 Oct 2006 3:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Dec 2006 3:35PM GMT
Would like to discuss with anyone interested in identifying the 6 brothers who fought in the Revolutionay War as mentioned in the piece, Prominent Tennesseans--Hon. Benj. J. Tarver, which identifies one of the brothers as Benjamin who settled in Wilson county, Tenn. --In the Biographical Sketch by B. Tarver; the same Benjamin is identified with an older brother named John---Attempting to identify the other brothers and to place the John in southern Ms. in the early 1800's--It is my belief that this Benjamin and John are the sons of another Benjamin who was a captain in the Revolutionary War on one expedition into Va. to deliver prisoners--I feel that records existing in Greensville county, Va. tend to indicate that the above brothers, John and Benjamin were residing in that county in the time period 1783 to 1785. Another possible brother, Andrew married Ann Young in that county in 1785. An Ann Young is shown on the first census of Greensville county, Va. (1783 to 1785) 3 households away from the John Tarbor household on that same census. I feel that this Andrew was the father of Hartwell Hill Tarver, who eventually became a wealthy land owner in Twiggs county, Ga. and who resided in Tarversville, Ga. there. My line is out of the southern Ms. Tarvers, most likely the John who is shown there in Amite county in time period 1810 or so to the early 1820's. Any ideas, thoughts and discussion will be greatly appreciated.

Re: 6 Tarver brothers in Revolutionary War-- John, Benjamin and ??

Cathy Sims (View posts)
Posted: 5 Dec 2006 12:42AM GMT
I don't know much about the brothers in Rev. War, but I do know something about the John Tarver in Barnwell who moved to Amite. Feel free to contact me at csims4120@comcast.net if you would like to discuss.

Posted: 25 Jan 2008 9:02PM GMT
Surnames: Tarver, Keenan
I am trying to find the connection between my relative, Henry Tarver, to Hartwell Hill Tarver. I have found them in several census' living next door to each other, along with William M. Tarver in Georgia. They are of the same generation, and believe they are all brothers. Does anyone have information of who Hartwell's parents are? I have seen postings of his parent's names, but not a complete list of their children. Any help would be great! Info from a Tarver/Kennan family bible says that Henry, born abt. 1796, died in a tornado in Georgia. His daughter, Susan Ann Tarver, married Thomas Franklin Keenan. Home email is tceattle@comcast.net.

Anonymous (View posts)
Posted: 9 Mar 2008 7:22PM GMT
Surnames: Hartwell Tarver
You may have this information , but if not here is my records,
Hartwell Hill Tarver
b. 1791/1792 Brunswick County VA
d. 11-19-1851 Tarversville, Twiggs county Ga. on a wed.
md. 5-15-1823 Edgefield dist. S.C.
sp. #1 Ann Rutherford Wimberley b. 4-15-1806 Jeffersonville, GA.d. Fr. 2-12-1836 age 30 at 10:AM GA.
She was the sister of Dr. Henry Wimberly,of Jeffersonville, GA.
sp. #2 Harriet Marie Bunn ( there is a source that has Harriet Marie Wimberley / Bunn ? ) md.2-8-1843 Twiggs co. she d.1879 in Twiggs co Ga. she was b.1-24-1816, d/o Henry Bunn 1795 N.C., and Nancy Troup, 1797 N,C.
LDS records show a sp. Nancy Singleton Holt ( I have not searched this line yet)
Father of H.H. Tarver I show from family Bible owned by Mr. Henry Andrew Tarver, Albany, GA.
General Hartwell Hill Tarver, the progenitor of this family, was the son of Andrew Tarver ( one source has William Andrew Tarver)and his wife Elizabeth Hartwell. He was born in Brunswick county Va. 1791, He was elected by Georgia Legislature in 1842 " General" of the Georgia Milita
His second wife was Mrs. Harriet Bunn Wimberly

William ) Andrew ( Hipkin) Tarver ( this sc. is Kingsly search, I have found conflicting dates but , not that far off and very possible,
Remember people often had 3 and 4 first names, also at that time the states did not have the same county diffinitions as they do now, even some states east of the Missippi were not set.(sorry, lectures over some one help me off my soapbox )(G)
Where was I,
William Andrew Hipkin Tarver
b. 1750 / 1765
d. 1820/1840 Troup co. GA.
md. Elizabeth Hartwell 1-28-1791 Brunswick co. VA.
Ch. of Andrew and Elizabeth ;
Hartwell Hill Tarver
Ruffin R. Tarver b. 1793
William Tarver b. 1795

Children of H.H. Tarver and Ann ;
Paul E. Tarver b.3-6-1824,d. 6-19-1858 , md. Cinderella Crocker Soloman 4-18-1854
Henry Andrew Tarver, b. 3-26-1826, d. 2-10-1897, md. Elizabeth G. Soloman 3-6-1850
Robert Frederick Tarver b. 10-27-1827, md. Sarah L. Bunn 4-14-1852
Dorthy Elizabeth " Dollie E. " Tarver b. 10-7-1829, d. 4-18-1855 at her home in Baker county md. Alfred H. Colquitt, 5-15-1848
John Hartwell Tarver 8-23-1831,
Rebecca Ann Tarver, 6-18-1833, died Sat, May 31, 1834 at 9:00AM age 11 mo, 12 days.

Children of H.H. and Harriet Marie Bunn
William Bunn tarver b. 5-23-1844 at 7: AM he md. #1 Laura L. Wimberly, #2 Annie P. Weaver
Benjamin Marcus Tarver 6-20-1846, md. Lila V. Huquenin, 5-18-1869 in Macon , GA. Alt. sc. has Eliza Villard Huqenin
b.12-7-1851 Millegeville,GA.

I know I have a Henry but not able to put my fingers on that file , If I am thinking right Henry was a second or nick name for Richard ?
I have tried to be a accurate with scources as I could be , but if you fill there is mistakes please let me know. their is lots of research from lots of Tarver researchers and so many names the same it is a tedious family to search, ( We named our son , now 30, Sean Benjamin Tarver,) Benjamin is a popular name among Tarvers.
Hope this helps.I have lots and info on Absolom Tarver Rev.War Patiot
J. Tarver

Posted: 22 Mar 2009 7:33PM GMT
Surnames: Tarver

Andrew Tarver (c1764-1820) was the father of Hartwell Hill Tarver. Hartwell's mother was Elizabeth Hartwell Tarver (b 1791, Brunswick County Georgia)

Hartwell accumulated the land that became the plantation in Twiggs Co. and owned the trading post that became Albany Georgia. I know more about this line of Tarvers if you are interested.

I am very much interested in finding out which Tarver brothers fought in the American Revolution.

Jill Chesler

Posted: 21 Jun 2009 1:00AM GMT
Surnames: Tarver / Allen
I'm interested in any info on Andrew Tarver. Andrew and Ann had a daughter Nancy who married Wyatt Allen 1805. They had three boys that I know of; Robert L Allen, Andrew Young Allen and Wyatt Carter Allen who is my line. What is interesting is Wyatt Allen appears in the 1840 Twiggs co census and Nancy Tarver Allen appears in the 1850 census by herself. In your pervious post you mention Hartwell living in Twiggs Co. Any info you may have on the names above would be greatly appreciated

Posted: 21 Jun 2009 1:24AM GMT
Surnames: Tarver / Allen
Jill,
I have Andrew Young being married to Ann Young Greenville Co, Va 1785. Could Elizabeth been his second wife. Andrew and Ann had a daughter Nancy who married Wyatt Allen December 19, 1805 Brunswick Co., Virginia. Wyatt and Nancy migrated to Twiggs county about 1840. Any thoughts? Two Andrews? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted: 13 May 2010 1:47AM GMT
The Benjamin Tarver I have in my records who was a Rev. War Vet. and moved to Tenn came from this WorldConnect tree:

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&d...

hope this helps.

Posted: 10 Jul 2010 10:17PM GMT
yes, Elizabeth was his 2nd wife.

Posted: 10 Jul 2010 10:20PM GMT
I have lots of info on Hartwell, but not on the Allen family, as they are not in our line. If you'd like more info on Hartwell (he moved to Twiggs in 1816, was richest man in Ga.,owned a lot of land, was a founder of Albany Ga., etc.) I'm happy to share.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions