Search for content in message boards

looking for zwifka and knight family

looking for zwifka and knight family

Posted: 6 Jul 2010 9:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
i cannot remember much, lbion,but I do remember a David Zwiftka, his wife Eleanor, they lived on Zig Zag Rd. Albion, NY. Also, a woman named Eleanor Knight another woman named Pauline, with two daughters Kathy and Joanne. Pauline's husband Stanley. My fathers name was Bernard Jasniewski from Auburn, NY. These above mentioned names were my fathers cousins. I am hoping there is still family there in Albion. Write.

Cousin,

Joanna

Re: Zwifka

Posted: 8 Jul 2010 3:42PM GMT
Surnames: Zwifka, Zwiefka
No relation, but: only current Albion phone listing is Martin Zwifka, 130 Linwood Avenue, Albion NY 14411. This is 585 area code and in the Town of Gaines & Village of Albion.

Try Orleans County NY rootsweb (free!) for more stuff. St. Mary's Assumption R. C. Church on Brown street (serving a Polish population) is closed; merged into Holy Family parish (St. Joseph Church, Albion). Burials in St. Joe's (old) cemetery on Brown street, Town of Gaines include Johanna Zwifka 1864-Aug. 6, 1941 "wife of Andrew"; John Zwifka died Jul. 17, 1953; Julius Zwifka 1887-Sep. 22, 1914 "son of Andrew & Johanna"; and Mrs. Mary Zwifka died Apr. 29, 1940.

St. Joseph's R.C. (new) cemetery on Rte. 31, Town of Albion, has 5 Zwiefka/Zwifka burials and Mt. Albion Cemetery nearby (Village owned) has 3 Zwiefka/ Zwifka burials.

Zig Zag Road is in the Town of Gaines; 1930 Orleans County census shows only T/ Albion & T/ Ridgeway listings: Albion:
ZWIEFKA, JOHANNA 68 WIDOW OF ANDREW POLAND, PAR/POL E37-4-33 GREENHOUSE LBR, IMM 1900N
JOHN 29 SON NY, STATE ROAD LBR, SNGL
ADAM 26 SON NY, SHIP UTILITY MAN, SNGL
ETHEL 24 DAU NY, CLOTHING CO SEAMSTRESS

ZWIEFKA, JOSEPH J. 29 HEAD NY, PAR/POL E37-5-28
AGE 1ST MARR 21 COLD STORAGE LBR
BERTHA B. (UGOREK) 28 WIFE NY, PAR/POL, 1ST MARR 20
ISABEL 9 DAU NY, SCHOOL
GENEVIEVE 3 DAU NY

ZWIFKA, MARTIN 38 HEAD, WW1 NY, PAR/POLAND E37-4-317
AGE 1ST MARR 27 FEED STORE SALESMAN
AGNES (LUCZAK) 40 WIFE NY, PAR/NY, 1ST MARR 22
STANLEY 16 SON NY
ISABEL 11 DAU NY, SCHOOL
ELEANOR 6 DAU NY, SCHOOL
EDWARD 5 SON NY
THOMAS 5 SON NY
JOHN 1 SON NY
Posted: 9 Jul 2010 11:58PM GMT
when i lived in Medina i had a third grade teacher named Zwifka.she did have children an a husband.check up in that area.also there is a knight family in Medina.

Posted: 10 Jul 2010 2:27AM GMT
thank you for the response....but nothing seems to match.
my father would visit David and Eleanor Zwifka, they worked at a canning factory in Albion.....they had two sons.....
David and Mark...........Mark passed away.....and David became a Priest....David and Eleanor's marriage dissolved....and Eleanor moved to Buffalo, NY....David stayed in Albion.....and lived with a cousin....do not know anymore.....I shall try the church...

thank you

Posted: 10 Jul 2010 2:48AM GMT
Thank you for the response....I do no recognize any of the names mentioned......I shall check the catholic church in Albion....do you have any other suggstions....

thank you.....

Posted: 10 Jul 2010 4:21AM GMT
Surnames: Zwifka
David Zwifka ("Father Swifty") is younger than I am and I didn't know him well. I googled his name and found an article about a former western NY Catholic priest now a part-time Episcopal pastor in Diocese of Central Pennsylvania. NOT sure this is him but picture looked like him: Published on: 6/1/2008

"It wasn't his original calling, but for Rev. Dr. David A. Zwifka, there's no better job than spreading the good news through preaching.

Zwifka recently joined the parish community of St. Michael's and All Angels (SMAA) Episcopal Church in Middletown {PA} as a part-time Priest-in-Charge. The Western New York native has been with the parish since last summer, when he came to provide pastoral services.

Zwifka said, "SMAA is a tiny congregation, with a strong message and ministry. They are very much a part of the Episcopalian tradition."

That tradition, according to Zwifka, includes an enriching prayer life, music as a central point of worship, and Communion every Sunday. As a leader in the church community, he hopes to help the parish to find new ways to spread that tradition and grow the congregation.

As a part-time pastor, Zwifka knows it can be a challenge, especially as he maintains a full-time job. He also serves as executive director of Neighborhood Dispute Settlement, a community based conflict resolution center in Harrisburg.

Part-time pastors have become a trend in the church community, as resources hinder small congregations from hiring full-time help. According to Zwifka, it's a long honored tradition, as "even St. Paul supported his ministry by his work as a tent maker."

"This arrangement allows St. Michael's to maintain its identity as a small, intimate Christian community," Zwifka said. ..In June, Zwifka joined the church to offer services.

A newcomer to the area, Zwifka moved to Harrisburg in 2003. He is a graduate of Houghton College, Christ the King Seminary and The Catholic University of America, where he completed his doctoral studies. A former priest in the Catholic Church, Zwifka made the decision to join the Episcopalian Church in 2000.

"I went through a rather lengthy process of training and discernment," said Zwifka.

In 2006, he was accepted as an Episcopalian priest and offered assistance to any parish communities in need of help. St. Michael's and All Angels is Zwifka's first pastoral church. As a Priest-in-Charge, he will be a partner with the Vestry of the parish to manage the administration of the church. He is also responsible for supervising worship and education.

Senior warden Hank Morrow said, "Now that Father David is among us, we hope to turn a corner and begin to build on what we have accomplished. "

Re: looking for zwifka and knight family

Posted: 27 Jul 2010 1:16PM GMT
Hi Joanna,

I am good friends with Eleanor Zwifka Knight's grandson. They live in the old Zwifka family home on Moore St. in Albion. Eleanor Knight's daughters are still living in Albion, one of her sons lives in Spencerport and I think the other son lives out in the Medina area. My father has told me that David was thought to have been adopted by the Zwifkas, found on the doorstep. I don't believe he is a priest anymore, but I could find that out.

You can e-mail me at mballard@rochester.rr.com and I will share more.

Matt B.

Posted: 27 Jul 2010 6:41PM GMT
Hi Matt..

My name is Joanna Jasniewski Ryan......and my father the late Bernard F. Jasniewski was related to the Knights and Zwifka'a...I do remember the Knights and the Zwifka's there was another family..a Stanley and Pauline..with two daughters Joanne and Kathy.....do you know where they maybe...is the older David Zwifka alive....it has taken me a long time to find these people....David Zwifka use to live years ago on zig zag rd....David and Eleanor worked in a canning factory...the visits were always a fun time..
I would like addresses..or email addresses...tell me Eleanor Knights childrens names...
Thank you for responding.....

Joanna

Posted: 27 Jul 2010 7:29PM GMT
Hi Joanna,

Could you contact me via e-mail, mballard@rochester.rr.com I would feel more comfortable giving you contact information through private correspondance.

Stanley was a Kaniecki from Agnes Zwifka's first marriage. I think Pauline was a Zwifka but I don't know who her parents were. David Zwifka is an Episcopal Minister, he used to be a Catholic Priest. My father says that both his mother and father have passed away and he had a brother who has also passed away.

I've been working on family histories of Polish families in Albion and would be interested in hearing how you are related. I can send you what I have on the families as well.

Thanks,
Matt Ballard

Re: Dorothy L. Zwifka Wildschutz obit.

Posted: 20 Aug 2010 11:28PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: Lippert, Zwifka, Wildschutz, Furmanski,
Not sure if connected: Obituary appearing in Batavia {NY} Daily News Aug. 20, 2010 (No relation):

"ALBION — Mrs. Dorothy (Lippert, Zwifka) Wildschutz, 67, died Thursday (Aug. 19, 2010) at Rochester General Hospital.

She was born Sept. 3, 1942, in Albion, a daughter of the late Edward and Mary (Furmanski) Lippert and had lived in this area all of her life.

Dorothy was a member of Holy Family {R.C} Parish, Sheret Post No. 35 American Legion Ladies Auxiliary and the Strickland Post VFW Ladies Auxiliary. She was a former employee of Ontario Foods and Nutrifare Meals on Wheels.

She was predeceased by her first husband, John “Corky” Zwifka; a daughter, Jeanine and a son, Andrew.

She is survived by her husband, Anthony; a son, Martin (Teresa) Zwifka of Albion; stepchildren, Mark (Audrey) Wildschutz of Waterport, Mike (Kasha) Wildschutz of Bergen, Kelly Wright of Medina and Jason Wildschutz of Waterport; three grandchildren, Brandon, Kaitlin, Lauren Zwifka; seven step-grandchildren; a sister, Marcia (David) Thom of Albion; brothers, George (Ann) Lippert of Kansas and Francis (Robbie) Lippert of Albion; several nieces, nephews and cousins. ...Christopher Mitchell Funeral Homes Inc., 21 West Ave., ...9:30 a.m. Tuesday followed by her Mass of Christian burial at Holy Family Parish-St. Mary’s Oratory on Brown Road at 10 a.m. Burial will be in Mount Albion Cemetery. Memorials may be to the Sheret Post 35 American Legion Ladies Auxiliary or to the Albion Fire Department... www.christophermitchell.com..."
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions