Search for content in message boards

Elizabeth Elam, Rowan Co., 1870 Census

Elizabeth Elam, Rowan Co., 1870 Census

Posted: 7 Mar 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Dec 2002 8:39PM GMT
Surnames: Elam
I am curious if there are any researchers who have an Elizabeth Elam (age 38) residing in Rowan county, apparently as a widow, in 1870. Listed with her in the 1870 census are the following children; Thomas, 15; Benjamin, 12; Chalmus, 9; Nancy L., 1. I have seen a Benjamin Elam and family living in Rowan Co. in 1900, 1910, and 1920. May be the same as above, the age would indicate so. I would like to know who Elizabeth's husband was. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Elizabeth Elam, Rowan Co., 1870 Census

Rosemary Mock (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2002 7:24PM GMT
My husband's greaat grandfather was Chalmus Elam b. in 1862 in Rowan County, NC. He could possibly be Elizabeth's Chalmus in the 1870 census. I would like to have information on this Elam branch if you agree. Thank you.

Posted: 11 Feb 2002 3:30AM GMT
Edited: 17 Aug 2002 1:03AM GMT
When Chalmus M. Elam married he listed his mother as Elizabeth Elam, no father listed. When Benjamine married he listed his parents as James & Elizabeth Elam. Benjamine died in 1921 and is listed as B.R. ELIUM. The name change could make a difference in your research. If you do not have the info, I will be glad to check the death certificate if he died in Rowan and see what info is on it. From reading the cemetery listing, most of Benjamin's family is buried at Union Lutheran Church as Elium.

Pat Beck
pbbecksalisburync@cbi1.net

nancy elium (View posts)
Posted: 24 May 2005 11:26AM GMT
Surnames: Elam/Elium
I am interested in any information relating to the North Carolina Elam/Elium family. I am the great-granddaughter of Benjamin Richard Lee Elam. He changed the family name to Elium around the time of his marriage to Icea Celonia Augusta Bankett. I am interested in finding any information on his father, James Elam who is thought to have come from either England or Ireland. Benjamin's mother was Elizabeth Casper of Rowan County North Carolina. Also looking for information on Chalmus Mack Elam , Thomas Elam and Nancy L. Elam, all siblings of Benjamin Richard Lee Elam.

PatriciaBeck34 (View posts)
Posted: 24 May 2005 12:48PM GMT
Thank you for you query. I found a marriage for James Elam and Elizabeth Casper , 4 Nov 1854 (Bond Date), Rowan County. Elizabeth is the daughter of Peter Casper and Nancy Cauble.
1870 census: Elizabeth 37, Benjamin 12, Chalmers 9, Nancy L. 1, Thomas 15. (1870 Mortality scheduele: Elam, Thomas 15, died Dec. 1879 works on farm. Killed by falling tree.)
1880 census: Elom, Bettie 41, Calmers 14, Nancy 11. Benjamin is not listed.

Marriages: Benjamin Elam 20 /Isalona Augusta Banket 16 19 Dec 1877.
Chalmers M. Elam22 /Martha E. Miller 22, 22 March 22, 1883.

I found Benjamin and family buried at Union Lutheran Church.

I am sure you have this info, but I like to start at the beginning. I will be in the library later this week and will check out the two names. Thank you for letting me know about the change of name. It was news to me.

Pat Beck

nancy elium (View posts)
Posted: 25 May 2005 11:22AM GMT
Surnames: Elam/Elium
Hi Pat, thanks for the information. Most of it I had except for Thomas Elam and Nancy Cauble. No wonder I could never find anything on him. I wonder if their mother, Elizabeth is also buried at Union Lutheran church. If so, I don't have a death date for her. I know that she was born in 1832. I have a great deal of information on her family. Also wonder what became of Nancy L. Elam. Rumor in the family is that she also changed her name to Elium along with her brother Benjamin. Benjamin's children were all born with the Elium name. Thanks for any light you can shed. James, their father, is a real mystery. He left the family in 1870 to head back home and had promised to send for them. Nothing was ever heard from him after that. I have been trying to find him in the 1860 census but no real luck so far. Once, again, thanks.

Posted: 31 Aug 2011 4:10AM GMT
Hi 'family'. I am Ashley Brown Fowler, GGGG Grandaughter of James and Elizabeth Elom. I am connected through, Benjamin and Icia, Roxie and Josiah Brown, Joseph and Fern Brown, and my parents, Joe and Laura Brown.

I would like to know if anyone has discovered any more information on James Elom and his story. The comment that you made about him 'returning home' was the 1st of anything that I have heard in regard to him. Any clue where 'home' was, I'd love a lead on searching!

My info stops with Elizabeth's mother, Nancy Cauble. On her father's side I have followed the line to Conrad Casper 1825, G Huckleberry 1743, Heirdleins to 1637, and a few others.

Please email me at pampchefashley@yahoo.com if you'd like to swap info or have any info beyond what I have. Thx

Posted: 17 Sep 2011 6:25PM GMT
Hi, I am April and my GGG grand daughter of Elizabeth Elam. I know that Elizabeth Capser was married to James Elam 11/04/1854. We know nothing about James, except he was a stone mason, worked on the pedestal that the statue of liberty is one and had 2 brothers. Hope this helps some.

Posted: 16 Dec 2012 6:53AM GMT
I have Benjamin's wife Icia Bankett traced back a good ways...
To Virginia in the 1720s and Ruben Elium Sr.'s wife Fannie Smiths family back to the arrival of Johannes Ehrenhardt in 1744 and his father in Germany in the 1600s
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions