Search for content in message boards

Hoopers in Missouri, early to mid 1800's

Hoopers in Missouri, early to mid 1800's

Posted: 28 Feb 2007 4:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hooper, Hutchins
Greetings,

I am looking for anyone who is researching the Hooper name in the state of Missouri during the early to mid 1800's. Of particular interest is any researcher that has a legend of native american half-breeds in their Hoopers, though that is not a requirement.

I'd like to gather together all the information that has been uncovered and see if we can't start linking people and families together. Perhaps by doing so we might make some discoveries and be able to push everyone's research backwards in time.

Sincerely,

Tammy Blandino

Researching Jane Hoooper, born c. 1843 in Missouri

Re: Hoopers in Missouri, early to mid 1800's

Posted: 7 Apr 2008 11:38PM GMT
I have a William Hooper and wife Margaret in Jackson co MO census in 1850. They have a daughter Jane born about 1841 but census shows b.NC
Other children in 1850 were Mary, Pricilla b in MO
Helen

Posted: 8 Apr 2008 5:28PM GMT
I have hundreds of Hooper families on what I call census tracking sheets. I have found your Hooper family in 1860, but do not have them afer that.

1850 Jackson Co., Missouri - 1/1

HOOPER, William, 45, b. NC
HOOPER, Margaret, 35, b. NC
HOOPER, Jane, 9, b. NC
HOOPER, Mary, 4, b. MO
HOOPER, Priscilla, 2, b. MO

1860 Napa Co., California - 496/488

HOOPER, William F., 44, b. NC
HOOPER, Margaret, 40, b. TN
HOOPER, Mary, 14, b. MO
HOOPER, Precilla, 12, b. MO
HOOPER, Tennessee, 9, b. MO
HOOPER, Lenorah C., 4, b. MO
CARGILL, L., male, day laborer, 26, b. MO

I have not located them in later census records.

Posted: 10 Apr 2008 3:33PM GMT
I did some more checking and found them in 1880 and Margaret in 1900.

1880 Napa Co., California - Hot Springs Stop, Vicinity of S. Helena

HOOPER, William F., 65, b. NC, father b. VA, mtoher b. NC
HOOPER, Margaret L., wie, 64, b. TN, both parents b. TN

I went back and checked the 1840 census and there were 3 William Hoopers in NC in 1840, 2 of them in Caswell County in 1840 and 1 in Haywood County. The one in Haywood County is my line and I know who his descendants were.

One in Caswell was William Hooper with 1 male under 5 and he was age 30-40; with 1female under5 and1 female age 29-30.

The other one was William G. Hooper age 20-30 and theyhad 1 female under 5 and 2 females age 5-10 and 1 female age 20-30.

It appears to be the first one in 1850 census. He lived one house away from Woodlief Hooper, so I would take that route if I were you.

Naomi Hooper Green

1880 Napa Co., California – Hot Springs Stop, Vicinity of St. Helena - Page 407C – 18 June 1880

HOOPER, William F., 65, b. NC, father b. VA, mother b. NC
HOOPER, Margaret L., wife, 64, b. TN, both parents b. TN

1900 Napa Co., California – Vineland –

GREASON(?), George, Mar 1871, 29, b. England (It looks like Greason on sheet)
GREASON(?), Lillie C. F., wife, Sep 1881, 18, b. England
HOOPER, Margaret, Mother, July 1815, 84, widow(?), 1 child, 1 living, b. TN, both parents b. TN
(I doubt she was George’s mother, as he was not with them in 1880 census. I also doubt she was Lillie’s mother as she would have been about 66 years old when Lillie was born. And both George and Lillie were born in England

Posted: 10 Apr 2008 4:39PM GMT
The Caswell Hoopers, including both Williams and Woodlief, are well documented. See Anne Goodwin's Hooper Compass. She has written about this family for quite some time and has pretty much figured them out.

Re: William F. Hooper in Missouri

Posted: 10 Apr 2008 7:40PM GMT
I have more data than this, just lack the time to put it all together for this post since I am in process of moving. Still, this should give a good start for anyone interested in this family. [I do have spouses' dates and children with many dates, too, all documented.]

William F. Hooper was born 10 Sept 1815 in NC or TN, is listed in Sevier Co., TN in 1840, married about 1840 to the former Margaret Hamilton, and died 13 May 1884 near Capay, Yolo Co., CA.
Margaret (Hamilton) Hooper was born Jul 1815 in Tennessee and died 14 May 1904 in California.
Offspring of William F. Hooper and Margaret were:
1. Elizabeth Jane Hooper b. 27 Apr 1841 NC, md. James Harlow Lane 15 Aug 1858 near Napa, CA, died 14 Feb 1910 McCabe, Yavapai Co., AZ.
2. Mary Ann Hooper b. Oct 1846 MO, md. Andrew Jackson Townsend in Napa County before 1866, was still alive 1910 when listed on 1910 Napa Co. CA, St. Helena twp census.
3. Priscilla Madeline Hooper b. 19 Jul 1848 MO, md William Pierce 3 May 1861 Napa Co., CA, d. 10 Feb 1913 Alameda Co., CA
4. Margaret Tennessee Hooper b. abt 1851, married about 1868 in Napa County, CA to William Pickle, d. 1 Jul 1910 in Napa County/
5. Sonora California Hooper b. 17 Jan 1856, married 1873/5 to Thomas Pickle, died 29 March 1924 at St. Helena, CA.

There is a biographical writeup for Elizabeth Jane Hooper Lane with a list of her children at
http://www.sharlot.org/archives/rosegarden/show.pl?woman=ELI...

or at least there was one there in March 2006. It's from Mrs. Lane's death certificate that I got the maiden name for the mother (Mrs. Margaret Hooper).

Regards,
AnneG

Re: William F. Hooper in Missouri

Posted: 11 Apr 2008 12:34AM GMT
Thanks Anne
this is my Hooper line. I did have Margaret's maiden name as Hamilton from my Mother but never had any proof of this. I also had the names of Townsend, Pierce and Pickle but not Elizabeth Jane to James Lane. Have a good move and I will try and get in touch after you are settled. Thanks again!
Helen

Posted: 15 Apr 2008 7:42PM GMT
Hello Tammy,
I too am trying to research the Native American aspect of the Hooper's in Missouri. I have heard from various unsubstantiated family resources, including my father before his death that we have Comanche blood. So, I am trying to track this down as I live in the midst of the Cherokees here in NW Arkansas and Eastern Oklahoma. I am wondering if we can be of any help to each other. There are several Hooper’s noted in the rolls for the Cherokee nation but tracking them and any other forward or back is pretty difficult.
Give me a shout to see if we are going in the same direction or possibly have information to help the other. My sister is also heavy into this since our parents are both gone now. Anyway, hope to hear from you.

Sincerely,

Michael Hooper

You can also contact me directly at mkrhooper@yahoo.com

Posted: 30 Apr 2008 2:08PM GMT
I have a Leopold Hooper born in 1868 in MO.,also a Francis Marion born 1861, MO.

Posted: 13 May 2008 2:03AM GMT
Surnames: Hooper, Gonyea, Blair, Greenwood
JB. Would the father of your Leopold Hooper possibly be Ambrose Humes Hooper? If so we have a connection. I have a genetic link to this family as we've both submitted samples to the Family Tree DNA hooper project. They have a fairly substantial family listing for their branch and I have an equally sized branch, though we don't have our common ancestor listed yet. If you have this connection write me at cage47@earthlink.net and we'll share info.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic