Search for content in message boards

Put Web Links in Timeline Events

Put Web Links in Timeline Events

Posted: 30 Mar 2013 9:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have many web links in my tree profiles, but since these are listed below the sources, people have to scroll to find them. If there are lots of sources listed there, they may not bother to look that far down the page.

I think it would be a good idea to put web links on the right hand side of each timeline event, with the source citations and media. I am sure this would be easy to implement.

Re: Put Web Links in Timeline Events

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 6:38PM GMT
You can already do this by creating a custom "source" and attaching that to an event in the timeline.

If you're in a hurry, copy the url and put it in the description field of the event/fact. This doesn't create a hyperlink, but can be easily copied, pasted and reviewed.

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 9:01PM GMT
Thank you daciodan, but I already do that for many of the web links that I wish to have as a source. The problem with these is that opening the link is a two-step process for the user, half way down the citation page, unlike the one-step process that it is for Ancestry record links.
What I want is for people to click on a link on the face of the profile, on the timeline event, and go straight to the web page in one step.

Posted: 31 Mar 2013 11:01PM GMT
You're right - that would require an improvement/change. Currently, no matter how you approach it, there will be at least two steps.

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 12:09AM GMT
Not taking sides - but is 2 clicks such an awful thing? Those wiggly leaves that only require one click to add a TON of junk come to mind.

Perhaps taking the time to make 2 clicks would allow a thoughtful researcher to realize that this person/record is/is not a fit.

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 8:59AM GMT
BurgessDonnelly:

Your response is a non sequitur. I'm not asking people to treat my web links as hints to add things gratuitously to their own trees.

I'm making a reference to, for example, an announcement of a marriage or death in an on-line newspaper, which will give the user some background. I just want to make it a little less like hard work for them.

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 10:45AM GMT
Edited: 1 Apr 2013 11:08AM GMT
"Perhaps taking the time to make 2 clicks would allow a thoughtful researcher to realize that this person/record is/is not a fit."

I agree with the OP and believe it's worthy of consideration. There are, almost always, associated links that can add informative vibrancy to a timeline event. Why not facilitate that access for an interested viewer?

It's an ease of access, one-click world we now inhabit, like it or not. Where the need for scrolling can be reduced, it is, IMHO, a positive advancement.

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 10:57AM GMT
Edited: 1 Apr 2013 11:19AM GMT
"I'm making a reference to, for example, an announcement of a marriage or death in an on-line newspaper, which will give the user some background."

Those are items about which I would normally consider citing either with an existing event or creating a custom event (e.g. engagement announcement or a media profile of the deceased beyond the normal brief obituary, sometimes published well after the related event).

But your idea still has merit. For example, I recently discovered, by census, that an ancestor had been a resident of the "New York City Poor Farm". I'd never heard of that before and proceeded to create a story in order to enhance the profile entry. It would have been considerably easier (and arguably more appropriate) to facilitate presentation of the website source had your suggested feature been available.

Posted: 2 Apr 2013 4:19AM GMT
The resolution to the OP's suggestion is hidden within his opening remarks:

"I have many web links in my tree profiles, but since these are listed below the sources, people have to scroll to find them. If there are lots of sources listed there, they may not bother to look that far down the page."

If people won't "bother to look", what difference will it make?

Posted: 2 Apr 2013 2:39PM GMT
I agree that it is extra work to have to click through two page refreshes just to get the source material that someone would really want to see.

Ideally the source link would have 2 components, one to open the Ancestry.com source information and the other to go to the off-site web page. I suppose an alternative would be to only have the link go to the off-site web page and require clicking into the event to view and edit the source details.

Regardless, I will pass the suggestion along to the product team members here working on that area of the site.

-Dave M.
Ancestry.com Product team member
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions