Search for content in message boards

Thomas Aried Thompson Father of Nannie Susan Thompson from Green Co., KY

Thomas Aried Thompson Father of Nannie Susan Thompson from Green Co., KY

Posted: 8 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Apr 2010 7:33PM GMT
Surnames: Thompson
I am searching for information about Thomas Aried Thompson, my 2nd great grandfather who was born about 1800. I have found information that he came from Maryland but also found information that he was born in Green Co. Does anyone know who his parents were? He married Susannah Keen. I am related to him through his daughter Nannie Susan Thompson who married William Jasper Russell, also born in Green Co. Thomas's son Lewis Abner Thompson married Lucetta Russell who was the sister of William Jasper Russell.
Posted: 15 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jul 2001 10:18PM GMT
I have this census entry from the 1870 Green Co. census:

1870 Green Co. Ky. census, compiled by Dewayne Wilson, p. 137, 392 397; William Thompson, 37, farmer, $1600, $1000, Ky; Mary C., 38, keeps house, Ky; Nancy, 12, Ky; Ann, 10, Ky; John, 8, Ky; James, 4, Ky; Thomas, 70, --- $1000, Ky; George, 18, works farm --- $1000, Ky; Lewis A., 16, works farm, Ky; Winford, 14, at school, Ky.

My interpretation of this entry was that Nancy age 12 was the daughter of William Thompson, age 37, and his wife Mary C. After the children of William and Mary are listed, then Thomas is listed and 3 of his children, in order of age. Do you have other information that Thomas A. Thompson and Susan Keen had a child named Nancy? I do have a William, son of Thomas A. Thompson, I have a death date (unsourced) for him as 1904:

1850 Green Co. Ky. Census, extracted by Thomas E. Curtis,
Page 116 27 September 1850 A P Shackelford, enumerator; 0519 THOMPSON, Thomas A 50 M Maryland; Susa[n]A 38 F VA; William 16 M; Mildred 14 F; Lanzy 12 M; Thomas J 10 M; Mary D 8 F; Richard H 5 M; Samuel H 3 M; Betsy G 1 F; John R 18 M

I did find this:
Cemeteries of Green Co. Ky., Vol. 1, by Froggett and Houk, p. 55; Thompson Cem.; located off Hwy 218 in the Thompson School House vicinity.
James W. Thompson 9 May 1834 - 21 Jun 1900
Mary C. Thompson wife of J.W. 13 Nov 1833 - 4 Nov 1914

Kentucky Vital Records Index, cd's ??????
THOMPSON, MARY C; GREEN; age 83; death date 3 Nov 1915

Was James F. son of James W. and Mary C., married to Martha?

What do you think?

Sincerely,
Karen Jorgensen
Posted: 16 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jul 2001 10:18PM GMT
I found the marriage of W.J. Russell and Nannie Thompson. They were married at J.W. Thompson's house:
Marriages of Green Co., Ky. 1874 - 1890, compiled by Judy Froggett, 1999, p. 137:
W.J. Russell and Nannie S. Thompson. Bond 17 Dec 1877. J.W. Thompson on bond. Groom age 21, lst mg., farmer, born Green Co., parents born Green Co. Bride age 19, lst mg., born Green Co., parents born Green Co. Married at J.W. Thompson's 20 Dec 1877 by S.H. Hardy. Wit. William Sidner, Silas Judd and N. Wallace.

Carrie: I have tried to email you 2 times, and my email has bounced. Could you please email me with further instructions or suggestions?

Re: Thompson

April Weller (View posts)
Posted: 19 Feb 2002 2:56AM GMT
Karen,

I am the granddaughter of Victor Wayne Thompson who is now buried in the Thompson Cemetary, near the Thompson school house. That cemetary is my family. The James W. you speak of b. in 1834, is the son of William S. Thompson and Fannie Bird Thompson. His name is James Waddy Thompson and he married a Narcissus G. Wells. He had a sister named Mary Catherine, but she married a Wm. W. Sandidge. I'm checking my records to see if I could maybe help you find out who the Mary C. is and who she was married to. I will also look through my papers to see if I can help you with the information of who James F.'s parents were. If you do a lot of work on this family I would like to ask some questions of you and find out what you may have found. I have not lived up there for several years now and am constantly trying to find information on my family geneology.

Posted: 19 Feb 2002 9:14PM GMT
Edited: 28 Apr 2003 8:01PM GMT
April, my mother was a Brush Creek, Green County Thompson and I have been collecting information about the family for the past 20 years. I don't think we are of the same Thompson line, but I have collected a lot of Thompson family information and will be glad to help if I can.

Can you tell me when and where James W. Thompson and Narcissa Wells married? James W. Thompson's father was William S. Thompson and his mother was Frances Bird (Fannie)--do you know what her married name was?

Bill Smith

April Weller (View posts)
Posted: 22 Feb 2002 1:17AM GMT
Surnames: Thompson, Carter, Jones, Asbury
Bill, I do not know either that we are from the same line of Thompson, but I will tell you the story that my great grandmother (Lilly Pearl Thompson) told me about our Thompson and I later confirmed through documents from the County Courthouse. William Thompson and his brother ( ? ) came to Kentucky from Virginia. They first moved to Brush Creek, Green County, Kentucky, but soon decided that they didn't like the area and moved. William bought some land on the Little Barren River. he bought 1,000 acres for a $1.00 an acre. The land was bought sometime around 1840. William then gave each of his children [Ann Elizabeth (b. 9/2/1829 -- d. ?); Mary Catherine (b. 3/31/1831 -- d. circa 1857); Dorothy Emoline (b. 6/2/1833 -- d. 4/16/1893); James Waddy (b. 5/20/1834 -- d.9/8/1900); Nancy E. (b. 8/4/1837 -- d. 4/31/1882); John Jennings (b. 5/20/1841 -- d. 8/27/1921); Samuel S. (b.11/11/1845 -- 12/22/1918); John Blakey (9/22/1850 -- d.4/25/1935)] a piece of the 1,000 acres. The land which my great grandparents lived on is a portion of the 1,000 acres. One of their granddaughters (my aunt) still owns this land plus another tract of the 1,000 acres. The portion of land given to Samuel has now been in our family 162+ years without interruption. The original house that my great great grandparents and great grandparents lived in burned sometime around 1934.

I know from my great grandmother that James Waddy and Narcissus G. Wells married in Green County, but I do not have a date as to when they were married -- I have never been able to find a date on that.

In regard to (Frances)Fannie Bird and William S. Thompson -- William S. Thompson was a Jr., his father was William S. Thompson, Sr. and his mother's name was Dortha Stockton. I have been told that Fannie was a Thompson too, but I don't think that was right. I know she was born in Virginia, but I think her last name was Bird and I have some strong indication that she may have been Indain (Native American) but I'm still researching the issue.

My great grandmother always said that I had Indian blood running through her side and my great granddaddy's side of the family and I have found Samuel and Almeda on the Cherokee rolls -- but know that they were not Cherokee. The reason for this is because when the rolls were taken around the late 1800's they were both rejected as being Cherokee but not Indian. The roll was for land allotment to Cherokee people only. I also know from a study of the Rolls and local tribes and their trials and tribulations that several tribes that became small in number joined with larger tribes, like the Cherokee. When the Rolls of the Five Civilized Tribes began to be taken those who were not actually Cherokee, Creek, or one of the Five Civilized Tribes were rejected in that land allotment. This is what I know thus far. I find the Thompson's (my direct line) difficult to trace because one the name is common and the Indain blood line is kept under wraps. I know why is was but it doesn't make my search easy. Any information you could share about Thompson's in that area would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. April Weller

Posted: 22 Feb 2002 3:29AM GMT
Edited: 28 Apr 2003 8:01PM GMT
April, I'm quite sure that we are from different Thompson lines. Here are some Green County land records that may be of interest to you

William and his wife, Fannie leased Elijah M. Kerr 920 acres on the Little Barren River and Trammels Creek for twenty five years. If Elijah found oil, salt or other products they were to receive a 1/10th share.

William transferred ownership of 113 acres, on the east side of the Little Barren River and on Tramels Creek, to his son James Waddy for "the love and tender regard he has for the party of the second part" on October 17, 1863.

William transferred ownership of 100 acres on the Little Barren River to his son John for "the love and tender regard he has for the party of the second part" on October 17, 1865

Posted: 23 Mar 2007 1:40AM GMT
April,

Just started looking at the Thompson message boards. I, too, am a Thompson with strong ties to the Green Co., KY Thompsons. I have been to the Thompson cemetery many times as my great-grandparents are buried there. My GG Grandfather was Samuel who was married to Leora Mildred "Kidd" Thompson. I see your last name is Weller. My great-aunt Nellie (Thompson) was married to a Weller (Bryant), any relation?--Bev Thompson-Buck

Posted: 14 Mar 2010 5:51PM GMT
Surnames: THOMPSON/ GRIMES/RACHFORD
I am looking for any information on James Thompson that was married to Sarah Jane (Rachford) I think. They may have lived in Green county and are supposed to be buried in Grimes Family cemetery in LaRue county.

Posted: 16 Mar 2010 4:53PM GMT
Hello, I am not personally researching this family.

Not sure what information you are looking for but I did find on Ancestry.com several trees about this family.

Evidently, James Thompson was born October 12, 1815 in Green County, Kentucky and died about 1880. His parents are suppose to have been Ignatius Thompson and Mary Norris. James married Sarah Jane Rachford on January 19, 1838 in Hardin County, Kentucky.

Not sure how accurate this information is but hope some of this helps.

Melissa Barker
Researching in Tennessee and Kentucky
E-Mail: kaitysmom@peoplestel.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions