Search for content in message boards

Jesse Harris b. Abt. 1749 d. 1825 m. Margaret Nixon VA OH

Jesse Harris b. Abt. 1749 d. 1825 m. Margaret Nixon VA OH

Posted: 9 Jul 2004 5:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Harris, Nixon, Fry, Boyd, Robinson
Looking for any information on Jesse Harris b. Abt 1749 d. 1825 in Licking Co., Ohio.....married Margaret "Peggy" Nixon d. 1835 in Licking Co., Ohio. They had the folowing children, all presumed to be born in Virginia....George Harris b. 1777 d. 1860 m. Catherine Fry, David Harris b. 1778, Amos Harris b. 1780 d. 1813 m. Christena Boyd, Jesse Harris b. 1781 d. 1812 m. Elizabeth B. Robinson, and William Harris b. 1783 d. 1817. I do not know where the first Jesse was born, however alot of this family moved to Licking Co., Ohio around 1806.

I am decended from George Harris and Catherine Fry, they were married abt. 1793, probably in Virginia. His son James Harris b. 1808 in Ohio d. 1871 in Ohio married Malinda "Milly" Robinson on December 29, 1827.

If you are familiar with any of these names, or just of the Harris families that came from Virginia to the area around Licking Co., Ohio in the early 1800s please, please, please let me know!

Thanks, Mike Harris

Re: Jesse Harris b. Abt. 1749 d. 1825 m. Margaret Nixon VA OH

Posted: 4 Jan 2005 9:45PM GMT
Surnames: HARRIS,HUGHES/HUGHS
Mike,

I saw your posting on the Harris family and was wondering if you know who your George descended from. I am as far as I can determine from Nehemiah Harris who died in Mary Ann Township.

Posted: 19 Dec 2005 10:49AM GMT
Surnames: Harris
Don't know about the Harris' you mention, but am descended from another HARRIS family who came from VA: Portrait & Biographical Record Putnam County 1896. p 217: [Nehemiah Harris ]native of Ireland of Scotch extraction who settled in VA prior to the Revolution, later settled near Newark, Licking Co OH where he was employed in clearing forest in exchange for his own land, entered 80 acres in Mary Ann Tp and bought additional 80 acres, died on this land [in 1819];.

Laura Miller (View posts)
Posted: 4 Apr 2006 7:17PM GMT
I would love to exchange info with you. I believe we connect...not sure how...I have been working on my
Licking Co lines...Lake, Robinson, etc. Both of these lines moved to Ohio from VA shortly after the War of 1812. My ancestor,Maximillian Robinson, was a Revolutionary War Vet from VA. Do you know if your Robinsons were related to him? My VA relatives were from Fauquier Co, Loudon Co and Harrison Co, VA

Michael Harris (View posts)
Posted: 5 Apr 2006 4:21AM GMT
Hi Laura,
The earliest Robinson I have as a relative is Stephen Robinson b. 1769 in Hardy Co, WV, d. 06 May 1840, Licking County, OH. He was married to Sarah Oldaker or Oldacre, b. 1773 in Loudoun Co., Virginia, d. 01 Oct 1842 in Morgan, IL. I don't know if your Maximillian was Stephen's father/uncle or other relative. I have no information on the Lake families that lived in Licking Co., OH.

Posted: 12 Mar 2011 5:56AM GMT
Surnames: Robinson, Oldaker
Hello,

I am a direct descendent of Stephen Robinson and Sarah (Sallie)Oldaker Robinson(b. 1770, d. 1/Oct./1842, possibly in Hardy Co. Va. also). Stephen Robinson was born in 1768 in Hardy County, Virginia near Lost River, and that land later became part of West Virginia. Stephen died May 6, 1840 and is buried in Porter Cemetery in Licking County, Ohio. Sarah is also buried there.

Stephen and Sarah (Sallie) Oldaker Robinson were both from old families in Virginia, dating possibly to as early as 1650 as I understand it.

I believe that Stephen and Sarah Robinson must have been the first of the Robinsons in Licking County, Ohio. They left Hardy County, Virginia (new West Virginia) in 1802 and lived near Lancaster in Fairfield County, Ohio for two years before they moved to Licking County, Ohio. That would place them in Licking County in 1804.

Stephen's father was killed by Indians when Stephen was a boy in Virginia, and I am hoping to find proof of his father's and mother's names so I can go back farther in our Robinson line.

I hope this information will help you with the time the Robinsons entered Licking County, Ohio. I come from the line of Stephen and Sarah's first son who was their second child.

If you have any way of guiding me to proof of who Stephen Robinson's father was, I would be most happy to know. My information suggests but does not have the proof I need.

Sincerely,
Judy Robinson

Posted: 22 Mar 2011 1:20AM GMT
Hi

I am descended from Stephen and Sarah (Sallie) Oldaker Robinson's oldest child, Elizabeth B Robinson and am also tracing this line. Yes, my research also indicates that Sarah 's family arrived in the US in the 1600's but I am hitting brick walls trying to find Stephen's parents. May I ask who you think Stephen's parents might be. I keep looking at Benjamin, McKinney or William, but I just can't find anything to tie him to them. Also, have you found any siblings of Stephen? You mentioned that his father was killed by Indians in Virginia. This is information that is new to me. I would really appreciate any help you can give me and if I have anything you don't have, I will be happy to share.

Sincerely
Maridell Hahn

Posted: 30 Mar 2011 1:47AM GMT
Surnames: Robinson, Oldaker or Oldacre
Hello Maridell,

Your information tells me that we are cousins then. I am searching for proof of Stephen's father just as you are. My father died unable to gain proof of who Stephen's father was.

Having the birthdate and checking all Robinson births for that year would help us work back to see what Robinson families had babies then. The family group sheet I have on Stephen, my father's third great grandfather and therefore my fourth great, says that he was born in 1768 rather than 1769 and that it might have been Hardy County, Virginia. Later that land became West Virginia. To be sure whether he was born in 1768 or 1769, I went to the photographs of the grave stones of Stephen and one of his sons. I cannot read the date on the photograph that was given to my father by a cousin. Possibly I could have those photographs enhanced to show the inscriptions. In 2000 or possibly the next year or two (I will check.), my father went to Licking County, Ohio again and reset the stones for both of those graves so they would not fall and break. I was thinking that he had used the shaving cream and windshield wiper to make the dates show and take a picture as he did for other family markers. So far, I cannot find the pictures of what he did on that trip, so that approach does not work yet.

My father had believed that Joshua was Stephen's father, but after much correspondence, he found that was not so. Stephen was not listed as one of the children of that family. I do not know where the information about the death of Stephen's father by Indians came from, but I had thought it was what my grandfather had told my father as his father had told him. I am as puzzled as you are about Stephen's immediate family, but I want to find answers.

After having gone through listings of other Robinsons fitting those dates, I even wondered whether Stephen's family might have moved after he was born. I also wonder who raised him and much more. I will go through more information as I can and will share with you when I find answers. If you learn the answers to our two questions, would you please share them with me? Maybe we can find the information and proof we need.

Sincerely,
Judy Robinson

Posted: 31 Mar 2011 2:03AM GMT
Hello Judy,

Yes, I believe we are definitely cousins. Stephen is also my 4th great grandfather, through my father. You may already know this, but there are pictures of the headstones in Porter Cemetery at http://www.usgwtombstones.org/ohio/licking.htm
Someone has attempted to transcribe the names and dates on them and they have read Stephen's as died May 6, 1840, age 72 yrs, 2 months, which would mean that he was born in 1768 which coincides with the information you have. I have found a will for Benjamin Robinson dated 1-11-1785 Fauquier Co. which names his sons as Nathaniel, George, Dixon, Stephen, Elijah, James, John and daughters as Catherine Campbell, Elosha Robinson, Mary Robinson, Lyddia George, and Ann Masters. The birth dates I have for his children range from 1743-1779 with Stephen as 1768. I've got to go back over my notes to see where I came up with these birth dates, but could this be a possibility, even though it's a different county?

I am definitely happy to collaborate with you in trying to find out 4th great grandfather. It sounds as though you and your father have been at this a lot longer than I have, but I'm happy to share whatever I have.

Sincerely
Maridell Hahn

Posted: 31 Mar 2011 4:41AM GMT
Surnames: Robinson, Oldaker or Oldacre
Hello, Maridell,
Thank you so much for the site with the Porter Cemetery photographs and information. I appreciate the work that went into making it all possible. It is good to know that the birth date we have is correct. From there I hope we can find which Robinsons had sons born in 1768 and work from that point.
There is a will in our information too, and when I have had some sleep, I will check to see whether it is the one you have. I will also share information if it is different. My father spent some time on his first trip to Licking County gathering research.
It is such a comfort to me to find your shared goal and support. Thank you! I will look soon to see what else I can tell you.

Sincerely,
Judy Robinson
per page

Find a board about a specific topic