Search for content in message boards

OBIT LOOK UP PLEASE

OBIT LOOK UP PLEASE

Posted: 12 Dec 2006 3:21AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: ORLANDI
I need helping finding an obituary for Giovannibattista 'John' Orlandi/Orlando. He was born in Italy around 1890. It is unknown when he died and I am going on a hunch that he was still in Rhode Island at the time. His wife, Angelina [Vuzzo] Orlandi was from New York, but since the census stops at 1930 and they had kids afterwards in RI, then again my assumption that he stayed in Rhode Island.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: OBIT LOOK UP PLEASE

Posted: 1 Jan 2007 5:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ORLANDI ~ ORLANDO, VUZZO
Rhode Island Marriages, 1636-1930
Spouse 1: Giovannibattista Orlandi
Spouse 2: Angelina Vuzzo
Marriage Date: 22 Jul 1909

I have found them on the 1930 census. At the time they had 11 children ranging in ages from Michael age 20y to Angelina under 1 year. The image isn't clear so she could be 2 mos, 3 mos or 8 months of age. Giovanni's mother is also living with them at the time. Mary G. widow age 70y.

The street name is cut-off on the census image but I cross referenced in the 1930 city directory and the street addy for them was 58 Argol, Giovanni was listed as John B. and worked for North End Ice Co. Argol St. still exists just to the west of I-95 on the Providence/Pawtucket line. Later addy for your family was 28 Argol.

I then started at the latest Providence City directory, 1964, in Ancestry's databases and worked back. 1960 Orlandi Angelina "wid John" h 30 Italy.

The 1959 Providence directory provides John's death date. Orlando John B 28 Argol died Nov 12 1958.

You will need the death date to look for Giovanni's burial place. I am assuming he was Roman Catholic as were(are) 99.9% of the Italian Americans in RI. The Providence Diocese only keeps their records by death date; there is no system to cross reference by name.

Giovanni could be buried in St. Francis Cemetery. That's the closest Catholic cemetery to where your family lived. You might not find him buried under the exact spelling of the surname. The burial record for my own Italian family had a pretty mangled spelling for the surname which I wouldn't have recognized but for knowing death dates and some of the individuals who were supposed to be buried there.
St. Francis Cemetery
202 Smithfield Avenue
Pawtucket, RI 02860
phone: (401) 724-3130
Superintendent: Foreman: Robert Degnan

Also close by to where your family lived:
St. Patrick
Corner of Douglas and Chad Brown
Providence, RI 02908
phone: (401) 724-3130

A bit more distant:
Mount St. Mary
661 Prospect St.
Pawtucket, RI 02860
phone: (401) 722-9366
Superintendent: Edward Monigan, III

And the BIGGIE where a large number of Catholics get buried regardless of where they lived in the northern part of RI:
St. Ann Cemetery
72 Church Street
Cranston, RI 02920
phone: (401) 942-3625
Superintendent: Foreman: Richard Caldarone

Try St. Francis first though since it is the closest to Argol St.

A death certificate for John will be at the RI Department of Health, Vital Records. Cost is $15. Wait a couple of years and the 1958 records will be old enough that they will be sent to the State Archives. At present, marriages and deaths from 1956 and earlier can only be had from Archives.

Looking at a RI DC I have from 1964, both the funeral home and the cemetery are named so quite possibly that information was also included on earlier DC's.

Office of Vital Records
3 Capitol Hill
Room 101
Providence, RI 02908-5097
(401) 222-2811: Recorded message containing detailed information on obtaining Birth, Marriage and Death records, and Adoption and Paternity information.
(401) 222-2812:
(8:30 am-4:30 p.m. EST) Monday-Friday to speak with a Customer Service Representative.
http://www.health.state.ri.us/chic/vital/index.php

A photocopy of the page of the Providence Journal Bulletin containing the obituary can be acquired from the Providence Public Library, Reference Services for less, paid up front. Last I checked it was a $5 fee for the service plus $0.20 per copy.

Providence Public Library
Reference Services
150 Empire Street
Providence, RI 02903
(401) 455-8000
pplref@provlib.org

Spouses and some children for Giovanni and Angelina from the Providence City Directories:
John B. Jr b. abt. 1913 - Rose M. (also appears as N. & W.); also a son listed John III USAF who by 1964 is listed with wife Martha Y.
Ralph E. b. abt. 1927 - Mary
Michael D. b. abt. 1910 - Concetta (notes that home is in East Providence in 1960)
Anthony F. b. abt. 1920 - Thereasa
Raymond B. b. abt. - Marie A.
William - finally appears in 1943 USA 28 Argol (means he was in the military at this point)1952 apparently unmarried and a chauffeur, lives in Warwick
George - 1944 opr 1957 George G. frame trdr r. N. Providence

Daughters of Giovanni:

1938 Anna 28 Argol
1943 Mary J. doffer
1953 Angelina emp US Rubber r. 45 Heath (Bro. Raymond also at this addy 1953)1956 r. 4 Woburn, Warwick; still single 1958

Giovanni's mother appears 1940 as Maria G. widow of Domenico 28 Argol St. (obviously still living with Giovanni and family and only appears in this one directory)
1956 Angela R. opr r. 28 Argol (born after the 1930 census?)

Rhode Island Births, 1636-1930
Antonio F Orlandi ~ Giovannibattista Orlandi Angelina Orlandi 18 Jan 1920
Helen Orlandi ~ Giovannbattista Orlandi Angelina Orlandi 27 Mar 1918
Raymondo B Orlandi ~ Giovannbattista Orlandi Angelina Orlandi 03 Feb 1916

U.S. Public Records Index

William V Orlandi 85 Briggs St 1014 Cranston, Rhode Island 02920 401-946-6805
John B Orlandi 67y 122 Dye Hill Rd Hope Valley Rhode Island 02832 401-539-7868
Raymond Orlandi 176 Winter Ave Warwick Rhode Island 02889 401-739-1182
Anthony Orlandi 28 Argol St Providence Rhode Island 02904 401-272-5168
George J Orlandi 80y 40 Orchard St North Providence Rhode Island 02911 401-231-6156

U.S. Phone and Address Directories, 1993-2002
Angelina Orlandi Warwick Rhode Island 401-739-1182 2000 2001 2002
Anthony F Orlandi Providence Rhode Island 401-272-5168 1993 1994
Geo G Orlandi North Providence Rhode Island 401-231-6156 1997 1998
George G Orlandi Providence Rhode Island 401-231-6156 1993 1994 1999 2000 2001 2002
John B, 3rd Orlandi Hope Valley Rhode Island 401-539-7868 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002
Michael Orlandi Providence Rhode Island 401-831-2407 2000(with Michael b. abt. 1910, this could be a grandson or son)
Ralph E Orlandi Providence Rhode Island 401-231-0727 1993 1994 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002
Ralph E, Jr Orlandi Coventry Rhode Island 401-823-3849 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002
Raymond B Orlandi Warwick Rhode Island 401-739-1182 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999
Theresa Orlandi Providence Rhode Island 401-272-5168 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002
William Orlandi Cranston Rhode Island 401-946-6805 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002

Social Security Death Index

Anthony Orlandi 18 Jan 1920 Jan 1982 Providence,Providence, Rhode Island

Concetta R. Orlandi 25 Nov 1911 29 Mar 2003 Johnston, Providence, Rhode Island

Michael D. Orlandi 7 May 1910 3 Oct 1992 Providence, Providence, Rhode Island

Raymond Orlandi 3 Feb 1916 22 Sep 1998 Warwick, Kent, Rhode Island

I mentioned the RI State Archives. The site has been down all night so I can't give you the link;maybe because we are getting a new Sec of State sworn in in a couple of days, they might be revamping something. You can Google the RI Secretary of State and the link to Archives should be there; it was over in the left menu bar. Archives will have the 1905 RI State Census so you can see if Giovanni was here yet. Also Angelina and her family. Archives should also be able to locate death reports for Maria G. and Dominico. they do take email search requests but will only do one or two at a time because of limited staffing. I can't remember the fees off hand but you can email a request for the fees when you get the link.

I just checked the Family Trees at Ancestry and see that Raymond's wife was Maria A. Barone (and a lot of the info I have here and am too lazy to go through and delete). My aunt was Cosimo aka Sara Barone b. 23 Oct 1901 d. 21 Aug 1992; spouse: Luigi Fornaro; parents Agostino Barone and Vincenza Cosima Catalano. Any connection?

Linda

Posted: 1 Jan 2007 6:22AM GMT
Surnames: ORLANDI ~ ORLANDO, VUZZO
One more thing...Just looking at your posts and I see that i sent you the link for Archives back when you had the Vital records question.

Also, all the obit look-ups you have requested you should be able to get taken care of by the Providence Public Library. I think they will look even if you don't have the exact date but it might cost a bit more, you'll have to check on this to be sure.

Projo isn't what it once was now that Belo Corp has taken the paper over. I use their archives search primarily to find a publication date for what I am looking for then I use the Prov. Pub. Library or the State Archives.

Did you ever get the certificates you had wanted from Vital Records?

Seeing that Giovanni came over in 1907, I searched for him on the Ellis site. To view the manifest you will have to register but it's free. Just one more damn ID and password to remember though. http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipmanifest.asp?MID=06833...

This might be him. Age is off but don't sweat it. There are lots of mistakes on manifests, censuses and such. The manifest for my family had an aunt listed as male and the surname spelled differently for each of the four individuals coming over. To make the search more of a challenge, only the newborn aunt appeared on the Ellis site. And the cherry on top was that the manifest was one of the infamous Ellis Island Missing Manifests so I had to go to Steve Morse's site to hunt it down.

At any rate, once you go to the trouble of registering, you'll probably want to hunt yourself especially if this isn't your Giovanni.

If it does seem to you to be your Giovanni, you can Google the town and find out where it italy it is located and then go to fmailysearch.org to the library tab and search the library catalog to see what records are filmed for that part of Italy. These you can borrow from Salt Lake through your local Family History Center which you can also find by doing a search under the library tab.

Happy New Year..The Ball has dropped and the coffee has worn off.

Posted: 2 Jan 2007 12:41AM GMT
No obit for subject or wife Angelina thru projo.com, a pay-per-view access to Prov Journal backfiles which goes back to 1983. Since son Michael is buried at St Francis Cemetery, Pawtucket, perhaps there is a family plot there which includes subject. You might call to find out.

The obit for his son, Michael, is included here. I noticed obits for other family member (daughters) in the search results at projo.com. Maybe those are of interest to you.

Michael D. Orlandi
Providence Journal. Providence, R.I.: Oct 5, 1992. pg. B-04

Full Text (177 words)
Copyright Providence Journal/Evening Bulletin Oct 5, 1992
NORTH PROVIDENCE --- Michael D. Orlandi, 82, of 46 Alexander St., a refrigeration mechanic at Brown University for 10 years before retiring in 1975, died Saturday at Miriam Hospital. He was the husband of Concetta (Strumolo) Orlandi.

Born in Providence, a son of the late Giovanni and Angelina Orlandi, he lived in North Providence for 26 years.

Besides his wife he leaves two daughters, Marcia Corsini of Lincoln, and Arlene Scungio of Johnston; four sisters, Helen Marrocco, Betty Spino, Shirley Barbato, all of Providence, and Mary Levesque of North Providence; five brothers, John Orlandi in Florida, William Orlandi of Cranston, Raymond Orlandi of Warwick, and George and Ralph Orlandi, both of North Providence; five grandchildren, and nine great-grandchildren. He was brother of the late Anna Lisa, Angela Levesque, and Anthony Orlandi.

The funeral will be held Wednesday at 9 a.m. from the Mariani Funeral Home, 200 Hawkins St., Providence, with a Mass of Christian Burial at 10 at St. Anthony Church, Mineral Spring Avenue. Burial will be in St. Francis Cemetery, Pawtucket.

KEYWORDS: obituary picture

SECTION: NEWS

Posted: 2 Jan 2007 5:14AM GMT
Thank you SOO much for this information. I have just started searching and not familiar with the different resources in Rhode Island. I am a quick study and will probably have to ask you again for advice or direction. As far as the Barones are concerned, have not went that far. My Raymond B. married Maria Barone and then divorced. After that, she made her children decide to either be with her or the father. They chose her so they were not allowed to keep in touch with his father and the rest of the uncles and aunts. THere are a lot of my surnames in RI so just picking up the phone calling is out of the question. Hopefully I can narrow the search down and see if writing a letter would help. I'll keep you posted on the Barone's and please do the same. Good luck and thank you again..

colette_deuce@yahoo.com

Posted: 2 Jan 2007 10:26PM GMT
Surnames: ORLANDI, VUZZO, BARONE
Hi Colette,

Just reviewed my posts to you the other night and noticed a mistake on my part. I transposed some letters on the LDS site addy; that's what I get for staying up sooo late! It's familysearch.org

Also checked the other reply to your post and see that you have a definite burial in St. Francis Cemetery in Pawtucket. St. Francis is in the Find A Grave database. You could add Michael to the St. Francis database and then request a photo. there a volunteers who go out to cemeteries, take a photo and post it to the individual on Find A Grave. Yup, another site registration to do this but as with the Ellis site, it too is free. If no stone can be found there could be two reasons.

1. Some of the older graves for folks of the first generation in the US don't have stones as is the case with two of my family burials in St. Francis. I suspect that there just wasn't enough spare cash at the time and by the time the family had begun to get a bit more flush, those alive simply didn't know or had forgotten that the ancestors didn't have a stone. Michael is only 15yrs ago so I doubt that this would be the case.
2. Certain areas within St. Francis allow only flat, flush with the surface stones. Those have a tendency to sink through years of successive freeze/thaw cycles. The RI Catholic Cemeteries don't allow any kind of subterrian footing which might slow down the sinking process for these stones. The cemeteries will, however, reset a sinking stone, all you have to do is ask.

Before requesting a photo on Find A Grave, I'd call St. Francis and see if my other Orlandi's are buried there and ask what sort of stone is allowed in those areas. That way if you find that Giovanni and Angelina are buried in St. Francis, are in an area with the flat stones and a Find A Grave photo volunteer comes back and says there was no stone, you could call the cemetery and ask them to go out to the grave and search for a sunken stone. If they find one, they will reset it; if not, you'll know that the ancestors have no grave marker and the family members now alive might want to get one for them. The crew at St. Francis was pretty accomodating when I initally was hunting for family I discovered was buried there.

Mariani Funeral Home is still in the Providence phonebook therefore, still in business. Many families in this area tend to use the same funeral home for sucessive funerals. You could call them and inquire if they handled Giovanni's funeral in 1958. If they did, you could inquire about the possibility of getting copies of his file. There might be some information in there that was not in the obit. Some funeral homes will accomodate requests like this, some won't but it only costs a phone call to find out. Mariani AA & Son, Inc. (undertakers) aka Mariani Funeral Home, 200 Hawkins St. Providence, RI 02904 (401) 861-5432.

St. Anthony Church, Mineral Spring Avenue (aka RI Rt. 15) is in North Providence just to the west of Woodward Rd. On a map, look halfway between RI north - south Rt.'s 7 & 146 and you'lll find Woodward Rd. St. Anthony's is on the north side of Mineral Spring, corner of Pope St. and Mineral Spring.

Pawtucket, Providence, North Providence...I know it sounds as if your family is all over the state but in reality, RI is a small place and the locations for your Orlandi family are all within about a 3 or 4 mile radius of each other. The only thing that makes getting from here to there take a bit of time isn't the distance, it's the damn traffic!

Google Maps has good hybrid views of your areas of interest and you can zoom in right to the highest resolution. Once you Google the four locations so you get a position marker for each - 28 Argol, St. Francis Cemetery, 200 Hawkins St. and St. Anthony Church and get a visual feel for their locations, you'll see on the larger map view just how close the 4 places are in relation to each other. Also, it's kind of a cool and cheap way of visiting the locations and seeing especially the Argol addresses without having to travel.

http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&a...=

Puttered around on Ancestry a bit more with your Orlandi's. Some other sites, too.

United States Obituary Collection database - 2 hits for Shirley A. (Orlandi) Barbato. First hit was Projo but required registration to view and they want to know too damn much so I've never registered. Second hit provided the same obit but without registration:
Shirley A. (Orlandi) Barbato
BARBATO, Shirley A. (Orlandi) December 24, 2004. Beloved wife of the late Raymond Barbato, Sr. Loving mother of Valerie Lee, Cathleen Barbato and Raymond Barbato, Jr. Loving sister of Helen Marrocco, Mary Levesque, Elizabeth Spino, John Orlandi, William Orlandi, George Orlandi, Ralph Orlandi and the late Anna Lisa, Angela Levesque, Anthony Orlandi, Michael Orlandi and Raymond Orlandi. Cherished grandmother of Dillon Renzi and Jesse Lee. Residence: Providence. Funeral Tuesday at 8 a.m. in A. A. MARIANI & SON FUNERAL HOME, 200 Hawkins Street, Providence followed by a Mass of Christian Burial at 9 a.m. in St. Agnes Church, Chatham Street, Providence. Visitation Monday 4-7 p.m.
Published in The Providence Journal from 12/26/2004 - 12/27/2004.

U.S. Veterans Cemeteries, ca.1800-2006 database:
Raymond B Orlandi
Service Info.: TEC 5 US ARMY WORLD WAR II
Birth Date: 3 Feb 1916
Death Date: 22 Sep 1998
Cemetery: Rhode Island Veterans Cemetery
Cemetery Address: 301 South County Trail Exeter, RI 02822
Buried At: Section E-6 Site 366

* To check w/o Ancestry for other family burials in US Veterans' cemeteries use this website: http://gravelocator.cem.va.gov/j2ee/servlet/NGL_v1
Veterans' burials overseas: http://www.abmc.gov/home.php

A quick check of the US Vet's site shows Raymond but no Maria so presumably his wife is still alive. She's not in the white pages so must have an unpublished number or just a cell phone.

U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946 database - Raymond B Orlandi b. 1916 Enlistment Date: 28 Feb 1945
Enlistment State: Massachusetts Enlistment City: Fort Banks Boston Branch: No branch assignment Branch Code: No branch assignment Grade: Private Grade Code: Private Education: Grammar school Civil Occupation: Tracktor Driver* or Truck Driver, Heavy or Chauffeur or Truck Driver, Light An asterisk (*) appearing after a job title indicates that a trade test for the particular occupation will be found in the United States Employment Service Manual, Oral Trade Test
Marital Status: Married Height: 68 Weight: 460 (Note - some of this info may be inaccurate. This database had my 5'1" Mom as being 7'3" tall, divorced with dependents ~ she was unmarried, met & married Dad in the Army and had me after they were discharged)

William V Orlandi b. 1921 Enlistment Date: 24 Feb 1941
Enlistment State: Rhode Island Enlistment City: Providence
Branch: Field Artillery Branch Code: Field Artillery
Grade: Private Grade Code: Private Component: National Guard (Officers, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men)
Source: National Guard Education: 1 year of high school
Civil Occupation: Tracktor Driver* or Truck Driver, Heavy or Chauffeur or Truck Driver, Light An asterisk (*) appearing after a job title indicates that a trade test for the particular occupation will be found in the United States Employment Service Manual, Oral Trade Test
Marital Status: Single, without dependents Height: 67 Weight: 136

Social Security Death Index database
Anna Lisa SSN: 037-03-9996 Last Residence: 02909 Providence, Providence, Rhode Island, United States of America Born: 1 Jan 1914
Last Benefit: 02909 Providence, Providence, Rhode Island, United States of America Died: 25 Feb 1990
State (Year) SSN issued: Rhode Island (Before 1951)

Raymond Barbato
SSN: 035-20-5665
Last Residence: 02904 Providence, Providence, Rhode Island, United States of America
Born: 31 Aug 1931
Died: 17 Dec 2000
State (Year) SSN issued: Rhode Island (Before 1951 )

Shirley A. Barbato
SSN: 039-22-1751
Last Residence: 02904 Providence, Providence, Rhode Island, United States of America
Born: 16 Nov 1937
Last Benefit: 02904 Providence, Providence, Rhode Island, United States of America
Died: 24 Dec 2004
State (Year) SSN issued: Rhode Island (1951-1952 )

http://www.addresses.com/results.php?ReportType=34&aid=&...
Here is the extent of the free content on this site:

Gloria J Orlandi George G Orlandi (Age 78 Age 80)North Providence
Joshua Orlandi (Age 33)Providence
Juan A Orlandi (Age 63)Providence (don't think this one is yours)
Teresa Orlandi Theresa Orlandi (Age 89 Age 89)Providence
Concetta R Orlandi (Age 95)North Providence (Note- Michael's wife)

SHIRLEY A BARBATO (Age: 69) PREVIOUS CITIES: PROVIDENCE, RI BRISTOL, RI WARWICK, RI RELATIVES: RAYMOND BARBATO, CATHLEEN BARBATO, VALERIE BARBATO, LOUISA BARBATO (database must be pre 2004 which is when she died and Valerie was at that time a LEE)

RAYMOND BARBATO (Age: 69)PREVIOUS CITIES: BRISTOL, RI PROVIDENCE, RI WARWICK, RI WEST WARWICK, RI RELATIVES: SHIRLEY A BARBATO, CATHLEEN BARBATO, LOUISA BARBATO, VALERIE BARBATO

RAYMOND BARBATO BRISTOL, RI

VALERIE BARBATO (Age: 66) PREVIOUS CITIES: BRISTOL, RI PROVIDENCE, RI RELATIVES: RAYMOND BARBATO, SHIRLEY A BARBATO, CATHLEEN BARBATO (One gooffed up database??...if Valerie is Shirley's daughter per obit, then with this age this Valerie must be a sister-in-law to Shirley)

LOUISA BARBATO (Age: 68)PREVIOUS CITIES: WARWICK, RI
PROVIDENCE, RI N KINGSTOWN, RI RELATIVES: SHIRLEY A BARBATO, RAYMOND BARBATO (With this age, must be a sister-in-law)

LOUISA BARBATO (Age: 45) PROVIDENCE, RI RELATIVES: JO BARBATO, RICHARD A BARBATO, ROSEANN BARBATO, JOANNE BARBATO, JOAN AN BARBATO (Must be a dau to elder Louisa and a neice to Shirley)

CATHLEEN BARBATO (Age: 36)PREVIOUS CITIES: BRISTOL, RI
CRANSTON, RI PROVIDENCE, RI PAWTUCKET, RI RELATIVES: RAYMOND BARBATO, SHIRLEY A BARBATO, VALERIE BARBATO

WILLIAM A. ORLANDI 11 NOB CT WESTERLY, RI 2891
(401) 315-2732
JOHN ORLANDI 122 DYE HILL RD HOPKINTON, RI 2832
(401) 539-0724
GEORGE G. ORLANDI 40 ORCHARD ST NORTH PROVIDENCE, RI 2911
(401) 231-6156 PREVIOUS ADDRESSES:1 Address in CITRUS SPRINGS, FL 1 Address in NORTH PROVIDENCE, RI
ANGELINA ORLANDI 25 NARDOLILLO ST JOHNSTON, RI 2919
(401) 943-6169 PREVIOUS ADDRESSES: 1 Address in WARWICK, RI 1 Address in JOHNSTON, RI
RALPH E. ORLANDI 64 ALLEN AVE NORTH PROVIDENCE, RI 2911
(401) 231-0727 PREVIOUS ADDRESSES: 1 Address in PROVIDENCE, RI; 1 Address in HOPE, RI; 1 Address in COVENTRY, RI; 1 Address in NORTH PROVIDENCE, RI

ANGELINA C ORLANDI (Age: 90)PREVIOUS CITIES:JOHNSTON, RI
WARWICK, RI; RELATIVES: JOSHUA ORLANDI RAYMOND B ORLANDI (Hmm, looks like she lived with Raymond til his death, now lives with Joshua)

JOSHUA ORLANDI (Age: 32)PREVIOUS CITIES: WARWICK, RI, FALL RIVER, MA, CRANSTON, RI, PROVIDENCE, RI, SWANSEA, MA, RIVERSIDE, RI, NORTH KINGSTOWN, RI RELATIVES: MICHAEL ORLANDI, ANTHONY ORLANDI, ROY R ORLANDI, DIANE DIA ORLANDI, JUSTIN ORLANDI, RAYMOND B ORLANDI, ANGELINA C ORLANDI

MICHAEL ORLANDI PREVIOUS CITIES: WAKEFIELD, RI, WARWICK, RI, SHARON, MA, WYOMING, RI, NORTH KINGSTOWN, RI RELATIVES: DIANE DIA ORLANDI, ROY R ORLANDI, MEGHAN ORLANDI, JOSHUA ORLANDI

MEGHAN C ORLANDI (Age: 29) PREVIOUS CITIES: WARWICK, RI, WAKEFIELD, RI, CRANSTON, RI, EVERETT, MA, WHITEHALL, PA RELATIVES: MICHAEL ORLANDI

(Several Michael's besides the one above)
MICHAEL ORLANDI (Age: 62) PROVIDENCE, RI
MICHAEL ORLANDI (Age: 31) NORTH KINGSTOWN, RI
MICHAEL F ORLANDI (Age: 29) PREVIOUS CITIES: PROVIDENCE, RI NEW MILFORD, CT WASHINGTON, DC PRINCETON, NJ PORTLAND, ME
MICHAEL ORLANDI (Age: 33) WARWICK, RI
MICHAEL ORLANDI PROVIDENCE, RI
MICHAEL D ORLANDI NORTH PROVIDENCE, RI
(OK, if these were mine I'd think the two Providence Michael's were the same man, Michael 31 & 33 were probably the same guy and I'd think that maybe Michael 29 could be the same as 31 & 33 but differing residencies reflect college or possibly military service of some sort.

JUSTIN ORLANDI WARWICK, RI RELATIVES: JOSHUA ORLANDI, RAYMOND B ORLANDI, ANGELINA C ORLANDI

ANTHONY EDWARD ORLANDI (Age: 32) PREVIOUS CITIES: WARWICK, RI, LOWELL, MA, VIRGINIA BEACH, VA RELATIVES: JOSHUA ORLANDI

ANTHONY ORLANDI PROVIDENCE, RI RELATIVES: THERESA ORLANDI
TERESA O ORLANDI

ANTHONY F ORLANDI (Age: 86) PROVIDENCE, RI RELATIVES: THERESA ORLANDI, TERESA O ORLANDI

THERESA ORLANDI (Age: 89)PROVIDENCE, RI RELATIVES: THERESA ORLANDI, ANTHONY ORLANDI, TERESA O ORLANDI

TERESA O ORLANDI (Age: 88)PROVIDENCE, RI RELATIVES: THERESA ORLANDI (I'd wager that Teresa O 88, Theresa and Theresa 89 are all the same lady just collected from different databases explaining the different spellings and ages.)

ROY R ORLANDI (Age: 51)PREVIOUS CITIES: WAKEFIELD, RI, WYOMING, RI, WARWICK, RI, NORTH KINGSTOWN, RI RELATIVES: DIANE D ORLANDI, MICHAEL ORLANDI, JOSHUA ORLANDI

DIANE DIA ORLANDI (Age: 50) PREVIOUS CITIES: WAKEFIELD, RI WYOMING, RI WARWICK, RI NORTH KINGSTOWN, RI SOUTH KINGSTOWN, RI (Wakefield is a village in S. Kingstown) RELATIVES: MICHAEL ORLANDI, ROY R ORLANDI, JOSHUA ORLANDI

WILLIAM A ORLANDI PREVIOUS CITIES: WESTERLY, RI; PAWCATUCK, CT; CAMBRIDGE, MA RELATIVES: JO ORLANDI
WILLIAM V ORLANDI CRANSTON, RI RELATIVES: WM ORLANDI

JOHN B ORLANDI (Age: 67)PREVIOUS CITIES: HOPKINTON, RI
HOPE VALLEY, RI (Actually Hope Valley is a village within the town of Hopkinton) RELATIVES: MARTHA Y ORLANDI

JOHN JOSEPH ORLANDI (Age: 44) PREVIOUS CITIES: COVENTRY, RI
LUNENBURG, VT

MARTHA Y ORLANDI (Age: 67) HOPE VALLEY, RI RELATIVES: JOHN B ORLANDI

GEORGE J ORLANDI (Age: 83)PREVIOUS CITIES: NORTH PROVIDENCE, RI; PLAINVILLE, MA; YONKERS, NY; FARMINGHAN, MA; CHERRY HILL, NJ RELATIVES: GIORGIO ORLANDI, RONALD ORLANDI, GLORIA J ORLANDI

GEORGE G ORLANDI (Age: 80)NORTH PROVIDENCE, RI (Could be the same Geo; no way of knowing what databases were used and your Geo did appear on the censuses as both J and G if I'm remembering correctly from the other night.)

GLORIA J ORLANDI (Age: 80)N PROVIDENCE, RI RELATIVES: GEORGE J ORLANDI, GIORGIO ORLANDI

GLORIA J ORLANDI (Age: 78) NORTH PROVIDENCE, RI

GIORGIO ORLANDI (Age: 83)N PROVIDENCE, RI PLAINVILLE, MA YONKERS, NY RELATIVES: GEORGE J ORLANDI, GLORIA J ORLANDI

RALPH E ORLANDI NORTH PROVIDENCE, RI

RALPH ORLANDI COVENTRY, RI

RALPH E ORLANDI (Age: 43) PREVIOUS CITIES: NORTH PROVIDENCE, RI; COVENTRY, RI; PROVIDENCE, RI; HOPE, RI (Not the same as Hope Valley. This Hope is a village in the town of Scituate) RELATIVES: ROSEMARIE ORLANDI, MARY ORLANDI, RALF E ORLANDI

ROSEMARIE ORLANDI (Age: 46) PREVIOUS CITIES: NORTH PROVIDENCE, RI HOPE, RI COVENTRY, RI PROVIDENCE, RI RELATIVES: RALPH ORLANDI, RALF E ORLANDI, MARY ORLANDI

RALF E ORLANDI (Age: 43)PREVIOUS CITIES: NORTH PROVIDENCE, RI COVENTRY, RI RELATIVES: ROSEMARIE ORLANDI, RALPH E ORLANDI, MARY ORLANDI

MARY ORLANDI (Age: 78)N PROVIDENCE, RI RELATIVES: RALPH E ORLANDI, ROSEMARIE ORLANDI, RALF E ORLANDI

E SPINO 30 ITALY ST PROVIDENCE, RI 2908
(401) 751-5018 (Note - Italy St. is where Angelina lived after Giovanni died; search for Elizabeth yielded this)

ELIZABETH M SPINO (Age: 75)PROVIDENCE, RI RELATIVES: BETTY M SPINO, LORI A SPINO, DAVID J SPINO, MICHAEL D SPINO

BETTY M SPINO (Age: 75)PREVIOUS CITIES: JOHNSTON, RI
PROVIDENCE, RI RELATIVES:ELIZABETH M SPINO,DAVID J SPINO, LORI A SPINO, MICHAEL D SPINO, ROBERT S SPINO, ROBT T SPINO, LAURA L SPINO, PAULA M SPINO

LORI A SPINO (Age: 45)PREVIOUS CITIES: PROVIDENCE, RI
JOHNSTON, RI SMITHFIELD, RI RELATIVES:MICHAEL D SPINO, JEAN M SPINO, DAVID J SPINO, BETTY M SPINO,ELIZABETH M SPINO, M J SPINO

M J SPINO & MICHAEL D. SPINO yield MICHAEL J SPINO (Age: 52)JOHNSTON, RI RELATIVES: MICHAEL J SPINO, LORI A SPINO, JEAN M SPINO, DAVID J SPINO, LAURA L SPINO, BROS SPINO, ELIZABETH M SPINO

DAVID J SPINO (Age: 47)PREVIOUS CITIES: JOHNSTON, RI PROVIDENCE, RI SMITHFIELD, RI WALTHAM, MA RELATIVES: BETTY M SPINO, LORI A SPINO, ELIZABETH M SPINO, MICHAEL D SPINO, BROS SPINO, JEAN M SPINO, LAURA L SPINO, ROBERT T SPINO, ROBT T SPINO, PAULA M SPINO

BROS SPINO PROVIDENCE, RI RELATIVES: MICHAEL D SPINO, DAVID J SPINO, JEAN M SPINO

JEAN M SPINO (Age: 62)PREVIOUS CITIES: JOHNSTON, RI TORRINGTON, CT BRISTOL, CT PROVIDENCE, RI RELATIVES: DAVID J SPINO, MICHAEL D SPINO, BROS SPINO, LORI A SPINO

ROBERT S SPINO (Age: 50)PREVIOUS CITIES:JOHNSTON, RI
NORTH SMITHFIELD, RI RELATIVES: PAULA M SPINO, BETTY M SPINO, ROBT T SPINO, LAURA L SPINO, DAVID J SPINO

ROBERT T SPINO WARWICK, RI

ROBERT SPINO JOHNSTON, RI RELATIVES: PAULA SPINO

PAULA M SPINO (Age: 50)PREVIOUS CITIES:JOHNSTON, RI
NORTH SMITHFIELD, RI RELATIVES: ROBERT T SPINO, DAVID J SPINO, LAURA L SPINO, ROBERT SPINO

LAURA L SPINO (Age: 38)PREVIOUS CITIES: JOHNSTON, RI, PAWTUCKET, RI, PROVIDENCE, RI RELATIVES: MICHAEL D SPINO, DAVID J SPINO, ROBERT S SPINO, BETTY M SPINO, ROBT T SPINO, PAULA M SPINO

Anna Lisa - I don't think any of the 4 in this database are yours. Anna Orlandi Lisa would have been abt. 76y at death.
There is an Anna Lisa age 79y - already past your Anna's death age; Ann Dunlap Lisa - not unless you know of some Dunlaps in your family; Ann Butler Lisa 38 yrs - same comment as Dunlap; Ann StGermain Lisa - ditto. None of them give relatives.

RE: RI zip codes - these should all start with "0"
**end www.addresses.com/**

Providence white pages all area code 401:
Orlandi
Angelina 25 Nardolillo Jstn 02919 943-6169
Geo G 40 Orchrd N Providence 02911 231-6156
Ralph E 64 Allen Ave N Providence 02911 231-0727
Sharon 15 Higgins Sfld 02917 232-5014
Theresa 28 Argol Prov 02904 272-5168
Wm 85 Briggs Crns 02920 946-6805

Marrocco & Levesque - no female listings & don't know husbands or even if phones are published #'s.

Spino, E 30 Italy Prov 02908 751-5018

Lee- can't find Valerie and don't know hubby's name.

Barbato, Raymond, Jr. Bristol not in the Prov. white pages.

I looked up my Barone's My aunt had only one brother and he died early on so if there is a connection then maybe it that your Maria Barone will turn out to be a cousin to my aunt. My aunt's father's brother, her Uncle Giuseppe and Aunt Maria as newlyweds lived with my Aunt's family in 1910.

Well, this is quite a lot of information to digest so I'll be done for now.

Linda

Re: Orlandi Family

Posted: 6 Jan 2007 5:08AM GMT
Linda:
Again thank you for all the information that you have given me, however I am having a difficulty viewing some of the websites. I Googled find a grave.com and did not see where John B. or Angelina was buried. I did receive a call from St. Francis confirming both were buried there and the location.

Moving on to your next email it stated the address.com? I could not view this site either. I entered it in exactly and it was Intenius? A company that you could pay for information I guess. I was wondering if US Public Records on Ancestry is from 2002-present? If so, then some of John and Angelina's children may still be alive.

I do have an account with Ellis Island, but I have given up [for now] looking at this site. Being a novice, it is frustrating.

Again thank you for all of your help. You have given me fire now to start researching again. I ran into a brick wall and took a break afterwards.

colette_deuce@yahoo.com

Re: Orlandi Family

Posted: 7 Jan 2007 7:25AM GMT
Colette,

OK, let's take things one at a time. I just went to findagrave.com to St. Francis Cemetery, Pawtucket. Yes, your Orlandi's are not in the findagrave database. Usually how a name or names get into the database is that a family member who knows that the person(s) is buried there and knows at least the basics like approx. birth and death dates will enter them into the database.

The exception to this seems to be some of the Veterans' cemeteries. There are apparently folks out there who feel strongly enough about commemorating our veterans that they have gone out and entered every burial in a particular veterans' cemetery into the findagrave.com database. I have found this to be the case with two of my Grandmother's brothers' burials that are in veterans' cemeteries as well as several burials in veterans' cemeteries from my husband's family.

When I went looking for these relatives at findagrave.com, I was pleasantly suprised to find them already in the database. I have since requested photos and now each of their burials on findagrave.com has a little tombstone next to the name indicating that when you click on that individual, you will not only view the text entry for them but see an actual photo of the headstone taken and entered onto findagrave.com by the photo volunteer.

I suggest that if you can not travel to St. Francis and visit the gravesite in person, that you register with findagrave.com -free- and enter Giovanni and Angelina along with the information you have DOB, DOD, Section and Grave/Lot # into the database. You can also give a short bio for each of them. Then look to the right side of the page and you will see a blue bar with a picture of a camera and a grave snapshot on it and it says "request a photo". Click on that to request a photo of your Orlandi grave. According to the site, there are currently 50 photo volunteers within 10 miles of St. Francis so someone will probably pick up the request and go out there to do the photo for you. At the very least, you will learn if they have a headstone or not.

The burial is late enough that chances are, they do have a stone. Now should the photo volunteer come back and say there is no stone AND the burial is in a section of the cemetery where only flush with the surface stones are permitted, there is a way you can find out without a doubt if there is a stone that has sunk below the surface or if Giovanni and Angelina are, quite simply, resting in an unmarked grave. With flush stones, the Catholic cemeteries will, upon the request of the family, go out, dig up the sunken stone and reset it so it is once more visable. You could go under the assumption that there is a stone there that has sunk below the surface, call up the St. Francis cemetery office and request that they go out, reset the stone and let you know when it's done. If they come back to you and tell you they can't find a stone, then you'll know that it's an unmarked grave.

The only way Giovanni and Angelina will get into the St. Francis database is if you or another descendant enters them. Within the high school English curriculum in RI, there is an assignment of family stories, history and genealogy. It's possible that if there are grand or great-grand children of Giovanni and Angelina who are in this area and in a RI school system, gets that assignment in school and finds your entry into the database, they may establish contact with you and you could learn more about the family that is here in RI from them.

With regard as to who is alive of Giovanni and Angelina's children: Taking the information from the obit for their daughter Shirley which is at the end of this and the obit efmurphy3 sent, it looks like the following are still alive as of the end of 2005:
Helen Marrocco, Providence
Elizabeth Spino, Providence
Mary Levesque, North Providence
George Orlandi, North Providence
Ralph Orlandi, North Providence
William Orlandi, Cranston
John Orlandi, Maine

North Providence just had a tax revaluation done in 2005. You can go here to see what George and Ralph's houses look like. The site's always been a little flukey but hopefully it will show the house pictures: http://www.appraisalresource.com/PropertyList.aspx?town=Nort...
This also confirms that Gloria J is probably George's wife as she is co-owner of the property. Ditto for Mary's relationship to Ralph E.

I couldn't find Mary Levesque in the phone book since I didn't know her husband's name but here she is finally from the NP revaluation site (401-233-0267). Out of the 12 Levesque's in North Providence only one co-ownes a house with a Mary. Her husband is David R. and the address is on the page: http://www.appraisalresource.com/PropertyDetail.aspx?id=8558...

Looking at Providence go to this link to see what 28 Argol St. where Teresa lives and Giovanni and Angelina lived, looks like. An interesting note is that the details say the house was built in 1930. What do you want to bet that Giavonni built it?: http://providence.univers-clt.com/view_property_R.php?accoun...
Giovanni and Angelina's first Providence address was 58 Argol but there is nothing there now. It is the driveway to 54 Argol today. http://providence.univers-clt.com/view_property_R.php?accoun...
http://providence.univers-clt.com/view_property_R.php?accoun...

Marrocco doesn't yield any results on the Providence page. To find Theresa Orlandi same thing happened so I had to search for Argol which I knew was where she lived. I know nothing about Helen Marrocco so I can't use a street search as an alternative. Maybe her home is like Theresa's where another surnamed person is the primary owner.

Spino, better luck. http://providence.univers-clt.com/view_property_R.php?accoun...
Elizabeth Spino for Lori-Ann Spino 30 Italy St. where Angelina lived after Giovanni died; no picture though.

Sharon Orlandi in Smithfield. This is in the Georgaville section of the town. An old textile mill that was converted to condos. http://data.visionappraisal.com/SmithfieldRI/(S(5nqotwzcuhb2...

William is apparently living in senior housing because 85 Briggs is Cranston Housing Authority
http://data.visionappraisal.com/CranstonRI/(S(yoz0ec55q50t44...

To find all these tax pictures, I Googled (Town/city name) revaluation. I guess you can do the same for the rest of the RI Orlandi's where you know the town.

Googling John Orlandi, Maine: John B Orlandi Jr (207) 459-7046 Waterboro Rd, Alfred, ME 04002 I can't find any sort of property tax site for Alfred so the best look you'll have at his house is on Google maps with the satellite view.

OK, next thing. When you use the white pages and click on view public records you do get the Intelius page and yes, this is fee based but the search results usually give enough information that you can find out the rest for your self without paying them for the information. Usually there are enough important clues on the results page such as George Orlandi is at least 83 years old and you have his address and phone number given so you could write to him if you wished.

I don't know why the addy I cut and pasted doesn't bring you to the results page but I just tried it and it doesn't. Maybe there is a timed-out factor. Anyway, if you go to http://whitepages.addresses.com/ you can type in a name and state and get a result page that will have information, if it exists, on the person you typed in. I did Orlandi and RI and got 5 returns with names, addresses and phone #s: MEGHAN ORLANDI, GEORGE ORLANDI, ANGELINA ORLANDI, RALPH ORLANDI and SHARON ORLANDI. Clicking on "View Public Records" brings you to the Intelius people search page where you need to click on search again. The result page gives you free information.

For example, when you do Angelina Orlandi you learn that Angelina has a middle initial "C" and is 90 years old. You also learn that she has or had addresses in Johnston, RI and Warwick, RI and has/had relatives named Joshua Orlandi and Ramond B. Orlandi. Now doing the people search on Raymond, we learn that he is/was 90y but we also know from the other night and the SSDI that he died in 1998 in Warwick (No one said the info on Inteluis is fresh and this proves it isn't).

Doing a people search on Joshua yields that he is/was 32y and living in Johnston among other places in RI. It also gives a whole bigger list of Orlandi relatives some of whom are mentioned in the obit for Michael that efmurphy3 sent you and the obit for Shirley A. Orlandi Barbato the full text of which is on Ancestry in their Obit Collection database and I an pasting at the end here.

Now from all this infor that started with Angelina C Orlandi age 90, I would infere and set about to prove that: Angelina is/was Raymond B's wife since they are the same general age and both had a Warwick address. Joshua at age 32y is probably a grandson and since he has a Johnston address and Johnston is one of Angelina's addresses, Angelina lives with Joshua.

You can enter each of the names from the obit from efmurphy3 for Michael and the ones from Shirley's obit below which is what I did to get all the info I sent on 2 Jan on Barbato's, Spino's, Orlandi's etc.

Towards the end of the 2 Jan post, I gave you phone addy's and phone numbers for some of the Orlandi's. These came from the 2005 Providence phone book - stupid Verizon has yet to give us a 2006 phone book though I've called and requested one several times since the new books came out in May 06 - so hopefully the information is still current. You can also Google people using various combinations of first name (or first initial), last name, state; first name (or first initial), last name, city (state is optional); first name (or first initial), last name, area code; etc. and if the person has a listed phone # you should get a result. All of RI is area code 401 so that makes things rather simple.

I just found Joshua Orlandi, who wasn't in the Providence phone book white pages 2005 on Google. He is on a site for RI DEM as a licenced designer and installer of septic systems: 176 Winter Ave, Warwick, RI 02889 401-921-0713. Then I Googled Orlandi, Warwick, RI to see whatelse might come up I got Angelina Orlandi, same address (confirming my speculation that she lives with Joshua)but different phone #; maybe there is an in-law apartment on Joshua's house. (401) 739-1182.

You just have to play around with these things and you'll catch on fast enough. We were all novices at one point and I don't think anyone truely ever becomes an expert; learning is an on going process.

RE: Ancestry databases for addresses - They only go up to 2002.

Third thing: Ellis IS one of the most frustrating sites out there so it's not just that you're new to genealogy. It's certainly better than not having the Ellis Island information on the web but the errors on the site make it so difficult to use. OK, so some of the records are in pretty tough shape and a lot of the penmanship just plain is horrid making for some creative transcriptions of information BUT there is no excuse for leaving 3 out of 4 members of a family off the database as they did with my Grandparents. Had I not found my Dad's newborn sister, the only member of the family to appear in the database, I'd still be looking. There is also no excuse for the large number of missing manifests at Ellis. Those are when you click on the view manifest image and an image for a manifest for a ship TOTALLY different from the one your people sailed on is displayed. The site has been around long enough that they should have corrected some of these. Yes, it's a volunteer site but so is Free BMD (British vitals General Records Office Index) and as of yesterday Free BMD have accurately entered 163,826,096 total records. Come on Ellis...The Brits are showing you up for heaven's sake!!

I mentioned Steve Morse's site in one of my earlier emails with regard to where I had to look for my family's ships' manifest. Here is the addy in case you ever need to use it: http://stevemorse.org/ ~ main page
http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellisgold.html ~ name search page
http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/mm.htm?back=http://s... ~ missing manifests page.

Shirley's obit:

SHIRLEY A. BARBATO - Providence Journal (Dec/26/2004)
SHIRLEY A. BARBATO - Providence

01:00 AM EST on Sunday, December 26, 2004

SHIRLEY A. BARBATO, 67, of DePinedo Street, a retired bank teller, died Friday at the home of her daughter Valerie Lee of Bristol.

She was the wife of the late Raymond Barbato Sr. Born in Providence, a daughter of the late John B. and Angelina (Vuzzo) Orlandi, she was a lifelong resident of the city.

Mrs. Barbato had been a bank teller at Sovereign Bank for many years, working most recently in East Providence, retiring in 2000.

Besides her daughter Valerie, she leaves another daughter, Cathleen Barbato, and a son, Raymond Barbato Jr., both of Providence; three sisters, Helen Marrocco and Elizabeth Spino, both of Providence, and Mary Levesque of North Providence; four brothers, John Orlandi in Maine, William Orlandi Cranston, and George and Ralph Orlandi, both of North Providence; and two grandchildren. She was the sister of the late Anna Lisa, Angela Levesque, and Anthony, Michael and Raymond Orlandi.

The funeral will be held Tuesday at 8 a.m. from A.A. Mariani & Son Funeral Home, 200 Hawkins St., with a Mass of Christian Burial at 9 in St. Agnes Church, 100 Chatham St. Burial will be in St. Ann Cemetery, Cranston.

Well, that's all for now. Enjoy.

Posted: 6 Mar 2007 2:47PM GMT
Lorraine, I haven't had time to look up the obit.I do have
the death date and a few other things. John B Orlando-
husband of Angelina Nov 12, 1958 28 Argol St. Providence
Other Orlando deaths- Antonio Oct 1, 1927, Carmela Sept 25, 1927 died Prov, lived N.P. 200 Lexington Ave N.P.
Michele Feb 15, 1928 49 Mowry St Woonsocket, Giovanna Nov 15, 1955 wife of Pietro 65 yrs Prov.
Prov DIR John (Angelina) iceman 192 Ophelia
John Jr stone setter
Mike D driver Here is a Orlando post web site
http://abruzzo2000.com/guestbook/00_12.htm Tom Doan

Posted: 6 Mar 2007 2:49PM GMT
Colette, sorry, put the wrong name down, but right info.Too
many posts today.Tom Doan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic