Search for content in message boards

HOLST/OHLSON

HOLST/OHLSON

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 8:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Anyone searching HOLST or OHLSON ?
Catharina Maria Dorothea Sophia HOLST/OHLSON b. 1813 Willershagen, Mecklenberg/Schwerin, Prussia d. 28 Nov 1887 Twn of Lincoln, Eau Claire, Wisconsin.
She was married to Johan Joachim Christian Schmidt (? when)
in Germany he died 05 Apr 1880 Twn of Lincoln, Eau Claire, Wisconsin. They are my G-G Grandparents.

What I am having a problem with is :
Catharina in listed in St John's Luth Church under "O" as HOLST OHLSON & under "S" as OHLSON

I want to trace her out in Germany but which branch do I take ?

Maybe someone has her in their tree already

Any help with this would be welcome

Thanks

Robert

Re: HOLST/OHLSON

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 11:20PM GMT
Hi Robert,

I am the person that put together the St. John's Lutheran database, and I have photocopies of all the records through 1999. HER death record in the church book shows her named listed as: Dorothea Schmidt geb. Holst

But on HIS death record in the church books she is listed as: Maria Dorothea Sophia geb. Ohlson

I transcribed the records "as is" so they would be true index of what was written in the church books... there are many errors inherent in the records themselves, from my inability to make out the old German script in some cases, and likely from my human error - although we did have others proofread, it was a lot of data. :-)

On the 1819 Mecklenburg Census (on Ancestry.com), there are Holsts, but don't see Ohlsons.

Also checked www.familysearch.org and found many Holsts in the Rostock and surrounding area, and I also found the name Ohlson in Mecklenburg, but very few.

BUT - I did find the Schmidt family for you and it shows her as a Holst!!

It looks like Blankenhagen in Ribnitz district near Rostock is where several of their kids were born... and you're in luck!! The LDS Church has microfilmed church records there from 1704-1894... Films 68963-68967.

But, better luck... many of these records have already been indexed online - for example, I see that Johann Joachim Christian Schmidt was born in 1805 instead of 1804 as the St. John's records state. His Parents were Friedrich Niclas Schmidt and Eva Ilsabe Eggers - they were married Willershagen 19 Feb 1802 and Eva's father's name was Joachim Eggers.

There are more children and other family members listed and you will find MUCH more in the microfilmed church records.

Other towns near there referenced with this family are Niederhagen & Willershagen, with Willershagen being most prevalent and very close to Blankenhagen.

Enjoy!
Laura Kaatz

Posted: 28 Feb 2013 1:22PM GMT
Hi Laura
Great to hear from you again. I have sent you an e-mail regarding this reply.

Thanks again

Robert

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 4:56PM GMT
I read that St. John's has been transcribed and is online, can you share the link with us?
Thank you!
Sue Balow Parker

Posted: 1 Mar 2013 5:04PM GMT
I transcribed the 1864-1999 St. John's Lutheran (in rural Fall Creek, Lincoln Township) church books for the 135th Anniversary of the church, and it was published in a book. It is online at the Eau Claire County GenWeb website, but I am happy to email you an Excel file so it's much easier to search.

Beware - there are errors - from my translation/typos, from original record mistakes, etc. It was typed "as is"... but it has a wealth of info and I can share "correct answers" for many of the errors that I'm aware of.

Send me an email at: LKaatz@sprintmail.com and I'll send you the Excel file - about 2MB.

Best regards,
Laura Kaatz

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 5:36AM GMT
Hi Sue,

Here is the link to the online database that Laura graciously donated - http://eauclaire.wigenweb.org/databases/churchrecords/stjohn...

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 2:09PM GMT
Laura, I'm a distant cousin of Robert's and have pestered him for details since we found each other. I printed out some of the church records for St. John's. I see the last name of my great-grandfather with a note of his spouse on the list but no further information. What/why do their names appear given I have found their headstones and burial at another church cemetery? Thank you so very much and all other volunteers who have helped us find our families. Regards, Sharon

Posted: 12 Mar 2013 5:41PM GMT
Hi Sharon,

Anyone whose name was listed for a birth, confirmation, marriage or death AND any parents listed for those people were included in the database. If you send me your email address, I will email you the database in Microsoft Excel spreadsheet or Microsoft Access database format... much easier to see relationships then as it is done by person and ALL events that they are included in, rather than separate B, C, M & D listings as in the printed book and on the Eau Claire GenWeb site.

Laura Kaatz
LKaatz@sprintmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic