Search for content in message boards

Multiple trees in one program

Multiple trees in one program

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 11:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have collated all the Deer/Dear/Deere/Deare entries -- Baptisms, Banns, Marriages and Burials -- from six Bedfordshire parishes between 1544 and 1812. I can't fit them all into my tree, not only but not least because I've had to accept that my main Dear line stops with Abrham Dear b 1687 d before 1738. I know from his baptismal record that his father was William Dear but the Arlesey Parish Register contains two possible Williams -- one born in 1652 and one in 1657. Sadly, there is not enough information in the register to know which was Abraham's father.

What I now want to do is to make individual trees for each Dear family that I can isolate, but I'd like if possible to keep them all in one program. I use FTM but the only way to put new people in there is by tying them in to someone already on the tree. Does anyone know of a piece of software that will keep a number of separate trees separate until I can find a connection between them?

Re: Multiple trees in one program

Posted: 4 Nov 2012 8:15PM GMT
I think all the programs allow you to make more than one tree. You just have to create a new tree and give it a new name.

Posted: 5 Nov 2012 1:01AM GMT
Yes, I know I can do that -- that's not what I want to do. I don't want to have to keep changing trees -- I want them all saved as one.

Posted: 5 Nov 2012 11:33AM GMT
FTM allows you do create multiple trees. Just go to the Plain workspace and create a new tree.

You said you wanted to keep the trees separate until you find the connection. If everyone is in one file it is easy to make the connection using Attach. If the lines are in two separate files you would have to use file merge. This can be tricky and create a lot of problems and a big cleanup job. At least that is my experience the one time I tried to merge files.

Curt

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 2:03AM GMT
If I understand you correctly, what you are trying to do is have ONE family tree file with multiple separate branches that aren't linked within the tree. I use FTM2012 and am doing the genealogy of a town, so have one tree with several hundred separate families lines in it.

In FTM2012:
To add an individual person who is not connected to anyone in the tree - Go to Person > Add Person > Add unrelated person.
If you want to merge trees, just do a standard merge process, it doesn't matter that merged tree has no linked individuals.

I originally created my tree on Ancestry.com, and created a ficticious person "Town of Washta" with gender unknown and no birth/death dates. Then I added the top of each family tree as a child of this ficticious person. Once I had all the tops of the individual trees added, I just deleted the ficticious "Town of Washta" person and then had all the different families in one tree. As I discovered marriages and relationships between the families, I just created the relationship link between two people in the tree.

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 10:14AM GMT
That is exactly what I needed. Thank you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic