Search for content in message boards

Quindry origins - Island of South Ronaldsay, Orkney Islands

Quindry Settlement on South Ronaldsay

Thomas Quindry (View posts)
Posted: 16 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Quindry
Thank you for your reply Keith.

Do you know approximately when the Quindry Settlement was established? Was it before the 1600's for example?

Quindry

Edited: 13 May 2003 4:38PM GMT
Quindry is a small settlement on Widewall Bay in the north of South Ronaldsay. It is 1-2 miles south-west of St Margarets Hope. Many Orkney surnames came from place names. For Orkney history and culture, try Sigurd Towrie's ORCADIA -L rootsweb site. For Orkney genealogy, try Anne Rendall's ORKNEY-L rootsweb site.

Quindry origins - Island of South Ronaldsay, Orkney Islands

Thomas Quindry (View posts)
I am interested in the origins of the location of Quindry (a town?) on the Island of South Ronaldsay part of the Orkney Islands. Specifically, when was Quindry established? How was it named? Are there any Quindry surnames known from there?

Any history on the origins of this location would be appreciated.
Posted: 22 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jun 2001 9:01PM GMT
Surnames: Spence
My grandmother, Elizabeth Jane Spence (b.April 13,1872), daughter of James Spence and Elizabeth Rosie of South Ronaldsay, was raised in one of the four Quindry Houses. I have just returned from a trip to South Ronaldsay, and have a couple of pictures of the remains of the Quindry Houses, which were crofts. A man who used to be the town doctor now lives in the big farmhouse there and is running a nursery.
Posted: 22 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 16 Jul 2002 4:00AM GMT
My understanding from my family is that we are French, but the oldest rumor is that we were originally from a Celtic island. If you have any further information, please respond!

Re: Quindry Houses

Posted: 29 Aug 2007 8:49PM GMT
Hi Katherine,

My Grandfather Robert Cromarty Brown and his family lived in Quindry before he emigrated to Australia. The Spences were next door neighbors of the Browns, who lived in the fourth home.
I would be extremely interested in seeing pictures of the remains of the homes if you could possibly email me a copy?

best regards,
Rod Hines
Australia

Posted: 9 Feb 2009 12:20PM GMT
Surnames: Brown
I am interested in your mention of Robert Cromarty Brown as I am also related to him. Please contact me so we can pursue this further.

Posted: 14 Feb 2009 12:28PM GMT
Hi,

Thanks for replying dorstephens.

My email is rowdyroddy1968@yahoo.com.au

Look forward to hearing from you.

Rod

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 10:42AM GMT
Surnames: Brown, Broun
Hi Dorothy,
I've lost your email address unfortunately ,and am unable to contact you.
If you log in and see this post could you please contact me.
Rod

Posted: 2 Oct 2012 11:49PM GMT
Hi Rod, I wondered what had happened to you. Hope all's well.
My email is dorothystephens66@gmail.com.
All the best.
Dorothy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions