Search for content in message boards

Scobel and Moizant Families

Scobel and Moizant Families

Posted: 30 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Jul 2001 4:32PM GMT
Surnames: SCOBEL, PELAS, MOIZANT, CHAPEAU, DAROCA, SYLVE
Looking for information on my great grandparents Luke SCOBEL, Armetine PELAS, Alfred Leopold MOIZANT, Victoria DAROCA, and their ancestors.

Luke SCOBEL b. 1840 in Austria married Armetine PELAS b. 1848. They lived in Plaquemines Parish (Buras), LA.

Alfred MOIZANT, b. Jan 1838 (in France) married Victoria Julienne DAROCA b. 1850. They were married in 1866 in either Oleans or Plaquemines Parish (Buras). They lived in Plaquemines Parish for some time (my grandmother and her siblings, as well as my mother and her siblings, were born in Plaquemines Parish) but eventually moved to New Orleans. I have a picture cut out of the newspaper announcing their 60th wedding anniversary -- at that time they were living in New Orleans on Kerlerec Street. Alfred was the son of Charles Leopold MOIZANT & Elizabeth CHAPEAU; Victoria was the daughter of Filipe DAROCA and Clemence Annette Sylve.

I have some information (primarily on my PELAS ancestors) which I abstracted from William Stringfield's book "LePays des Fleurs Oranges" but seem to have hit the well-known brick wall on the SCOBEL, MOIZANT, DAROCA & CHAPEAU lines. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 12 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jul 2001 3:36AM GMT
Linda;

Have you checked the book "Yugoslavs of Louisiana?" by Milos Vujnovich. Milos probably published it around 1970. It seems that he mentioned Luke Scobell and specifically where he came from.

If not, some of the Scobelj family live in the mountain-side hamlet of Suttorina, Montenegro. It is in the Konaveli Valley area of what used to be Yugoslavia about 30 miles Northeast of Dubrovnik and not far from Hercegnovi.

Posted: 13 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jul 2001 4:32PM GMT
Surnames: Scobelj, Moizant
Hi Rod. No, I wasn't aware of the book "Yugoslavs of Louisiana" but I will certainly try to get my hands on a copy. Thanks so very much for the tip.

You said, "some of the Scobelj family live in the mountain-side hamlet of Suttorina, Montenegro" do you mean that some of them live there currently? If so do you by any chance have a contact name and address?

Re: Scobel and Moizant Families

Mark Cognevich (View posts)
Posted: 9 Dec 2004 8:02PM GMT
I have been to Suttorina many times visiting the Konjevic(cognevich) family that lives there. There are still a couple of people that live in Suttorina. One family is Konjevic and the other is Scobel. One of my relatives had married a Scobel lady that lived there. Almost everyone moved down closer to the sea in a town called Igalo. If you want to email me my email addres is cognevich@msrc.org and I can tell you what I have found out.

Posted: 29 Sep 2009 9:07PM GMT
Surnames: Scobel, Moizant
Hi Mark, I realize this is a longshot since you posted your reply to my message almost 5 years ago. Anyway, I just saw it and thought I'd give it a try. If you still have the information on the Scobel's who live in Suttornia and are willing to share please contact me at tincan419-ancestors@yahoo.com or leave a post here. Thanks, Linda

Posted: 19 Jul 2010 9:01AM GMT
Just saw your message from long ago. I have some information at home (am away in France for the summer) that may help you. We must be cousins as my GGGrandfather was Alfred Moizant; his daughter Dina (m. Paretti) was my GGM; her daughter Teresa (m August Frank) was my grandmother; her daughter Myr (m. Jules St. Germain) l is my mother. We recently made contact in France with some of the relatives on the Moizant side. They say Alfred came over to America in a coffin.

At any rate it would be great to share information and learn how we are related.

Sheryl (sstgermain@chatham.edu)

Posted: 20 Jul 2010 12:54PM GMT
Surnames: Moizant
Hi Sheryl, Sent message to your email address. Albert is my GGrandfather and his daughter Annicia (Aunt BeBe)is my Grandmother. When you return from France please contact me.
Linda

Posted: 6 Aug 2010 10:48PM GMT
Surnames: Rondey, Moizant
Hi,

I am also looking for info on Alfred Moizant. His daughter Amelia married my GG grandfather Edward G Rondey. If you find any other information would you please let me know.

Thanks,
Vicki (vrd7878@aol.com)

Posted: 14 Aug 2010 1:41PM GMT
Surnames: Moizant
Amelia was my great grandmother's (Dina) sister. She was Claire Plauche's mother who was Stanley Plauche's mother. I worked for him as a young woman awhile in his retaurant, and he played the music at my mother's wedding. My mother is Myrl Frank St. Germain, whose mother was Teresa Paretti Frank, daughter of Adaline (Dina) Moizand Pareti.

I have a lot more info but I have to reinstall my Reunion application in my computer to get it to you, which I will do this week--haven't worked on this project in awhile.

We did make contact with cousins in France who are descendants of Alfred Moizant as well.

Sheryl St. Germain
sstgermain@mac.com

Posted: 31 Aug 2010 10:27PM GMT
Surnames: Rondey, Moizant
Hi Sheryl,

I appreciate your help. Claire was my Grampa Emile Rondey's sister and my Daddy Emile Jr ( Tutty ) and Stanley were first cousins. I remember them all quite well. I look forward to hearing from you regarding the Moizant side of the family.

Vicki
per page

Find a board about a specific topic