Search for content in message boards

Earliest Settlers

Earliest Settlers

Posted: 20 Oct 2012 10:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Who were the first settlers of Dobbs Co. that is now Lenoir? Looking for surnames.

Did the earliest settlers come from Virginia or other parts of NC?

Re: Earliest Settlers

Posted: 21 Oct 2012 10:21PM GMT
This is a big question Ms. Ambrose. Let's start with a little geography.
The area that is now Lenoir county was formed in 1791 (along with Glasgow county) from Dobbs county. Dobbs, in turn, was formed in 1758 from Johnson county. Johnson was formed in 1746 from Craven, which was formed from Bath around 1705. Pre-1705, Bath and Albemarle were the only two "counties" (technically Districts) in what became North Carolina.
Given all this, listing the earliest settlers becomes a little problematic, since most records (at least those online) only reference the county/district of residence. From what I've read, many early NC residents came directly from Europe, while I've also found that there were "immigrants" from Virginia (where the rules of primogeniture made only first sons the landed heir). Oddly, some of the references to N. Carolinians written by visiting Virginians painted their southern cousins as lazy, shiftless, and slow, but that's Virginians for you.
I'd recommend a look a the early (1790, 1900) census records for surnames.

Re: Earliest Settlers

Posted: 21 Oct 2012 11:21PM GMT
Surnames: Noble, Miller
Wow, thanks for the detail on the counties. I knew a little bit but not that much. I did know that Lenoir was Dobbs and Dobbs was Johnston, - at least parts. I guess there's no definitive answer as settlers came from many directions.

I am personally studying the Nobles from the north and south side of the Trent River near the Noble's Mill.

From what I can find, there was the large and well documented family of Philemon Noble and wife Philpena Miller. Then there apparently is a another family probably related - two George Nobles and a Philemon who lived next to the Philemon/Philpena family.

I think the George line came from Talbot Md.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic