Search for content in message boards

Frederick Augustus Cairns

Frederick Augustus Cairns

Chris Cairns (View posts)
Posted: 10 Feb 2003 10:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cairns Snowden
Does anyone have any information on my great-great grandfather's parents? Professor Frederick A. Cairns was born in 1820, died in 1879, married Mary Jay Snowden of a prominent Tennessee family in 1874, and they had three kids, Bayard Snowden Cairns, Major Douglas W. Cairns, and Elizabeth Cairns. Frederick was originally from Connecticut, and I don't know when his father emigrated from Scotland, but it was certainly prior to 1820.

Thanks

Re: Frederick Augustus Cairns

Bogardus Family Researcher (View posts)
Posted: 9 Oct 2003 2:13AM GMT
Frederick Cairns was the son of William Cairns (1777-1836) and Elizabeth Walker (1783-1859). They were married in Stratford, CT on March 28, 1802, but he is mentioned as being of New York. William Cairns was a merchant and was a member of the St. Andrew's Society of NYC in 1806. He became a member of the 5th Ave. Presbyterian Church on Mar 12, 1818. William Cairns and Elizabeth Walker had 3 other sons, Dr. Robert Walker Cairnes (1804-1861), Rev. William Douglas Cairns (1803-1850), and Edward Henry Cairns (1806-1828).

William Cairns was the son of Douglas Cairns (1740-1816). Elizabeth Walker was the daughter of Robert Walker (1746-1810) and Margaret Brazier (1753-1819). Robert Walker was the son of Robert Walker who was a Capt. in the Am. Rev. The Walker family appears to have been in Stratford, CT by the early 1700s if not before.

There was a Cairns family in Virginia in the 1700s. It is not clear to me if Douglas Cairns is connected to this Cairns family.

Frederick Cairns attended school in his early years in Stratford, CT.

Posted: 17 Oct 2003 7:51AM GMT
Thank you so much for your reply. I have very little information on Douglas Carns/Cairnes, William Cairns' father, or on William Cairns himself.

My father is named Robert Bogardus Cairns, after both Gen. Robert Bogardus, the general in charge of the defense of New York in the war of 1812, his great,great,great grandfather and Col. Robert Bogardus Snowden, his great grandmother's brother.

I have a great deal of information about the Bogardus family, but I imagine you have read the same family history that I have.

My great uncle, a general in the army and a West Point graduate, was named Bogardus Cairns. He went by Bugs.

I would be interested to know how you tie into the Bogardus family.

Posted: 11 Aug 2008 7:40PM GMT
Surnames: Cairns, Willis
Chris,
I can't help you with your distant ancestors, but I can report on your great-great uncle, Bayard Snowden Cairns, who is my step-grandfather. He was a suitor of my grandmother, Belle Whitfield James, in Memphis at the end of the 19th Century. However, she upped and married a Northerner, John Gilbert Willis, in 1893. The marriage didn't last and they were divorced (due to infidelity!) in 1905, one year after my father, Henry James Willis, was born. Belle moved back to Memphis and then to Redlands CA, where she finished raising her three children.
According to family legend, during this time Bayard stayed in Memphis caring for his mother, Mary Jay. She died in the early 1930's, whereupon Bayard travelled to Redlands and finally claimed Belle as his bride around 1932. They moved back to Memphis and two years later Bayard died of a massive heart attack. Belle then moved back to Redlands to care for her mother. She kept the surname Cairns for the rest of her life.
As you know, Bayard was a renowned architect, with his sketches, etc., residing at the University of the South. More family lore has it that he designed St. Mary's Episcopal Cathedral in Memphis, but I can't find anything about that on the Net. Do you know?
I found a neat picture of Bayard with Belle holding me, a newborn babe in 1934 just a few months before Bayard died, in my scrapbook. I can send it to you if you are looking for such stuff. Best, Nicholas Willis

Posted: 20 Sep 2008 4:15PM GMT
not related: Crisscross Lodge. The historic, former residence at 1950 Poplar will be renovated to house the Blount Law Firm. The firm is moving from Downtown Memphis.
The 3,257-square-foot Crisscross Lodge is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The six-sided house, built in 1913, was designed by architect Bayard Snowden Cairns, who also designed St. Mary's Cathedral, the Chisca and Tennessee hotels, the Shrine Building and Tech High;
www.redorbit.com/news/health/936329/life_time_fitness_coming... - 28k

Posted: 22 Sep 2008 11:10PM GMT
12/10/1958:Wednesday; Assoc. Press: FT. Rucker, Ala., Dec. 10 AP)—A helicopter crash Tuesday killed Maj. Gen. Bogardus
Cairns, commanding general of this southeast Alabama base
and commandant of its Army aviatlon center. The 49-year-old general's two passenger helicopter plunged into tree tops shortly after het ook off alone from post headquarters
en route to another section of the camp. A native of New York and 1932 West Point graduate,. Cairns had been in command here since June 8, 1957. Cairns led a combat unit
through some of Italy's hardest campaigns during World War II. Earlier in the war he was an executive officer in 'Africa.

Posted: 23 Sep 2008 12:05AM GMT
Time Magazine online Monday, Dec. 22, 1958 Died. Major General Bogardus Snowden Cairns, U.S.A., 48, developer of the armed helicopter, commandant of the Army Aviation Center at Fort Rucker, Ala.; in the crash of a light helicopter; at Fort Rucker. "Bugs" Cairns's career told the modern history of cavalry. After West Point ('32), he started out on horseback, had switched to tanks by World War II; last year at Fort Rucker, he took over the whirring, still-experimental cavalry of the sky. The general loved his "choppers," once said: "Like Wellington's cavalry, the helicopter can strike like a wolfpack and bite. It can slice and run, pull back and hit the other side. A chopper can be as low as a man on a horse, too."

Posted: 30 Nov 2009 3:18PM GMT
Hi Nicholas,

I'd love to have a copy of the picture you mention... You have fascinating pieces of the story puzzle.

I have many of the effects of B.S.Cairns, including grand, framed watercolored sketches of houses he designed in Memphis.

Incidently, my grandmother, Lillian Lowe Cairns, married to Uncle Bayard's nephew, Col. Douglas Moore Cairns, my grandfather, had lived in Redlands, CA from Col. Cairns' retirement until her recent death this past spring. I wonder if they ended up in Redlands, CA for some reason of connection?

Thanks so much,
Chris
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions