Search for content in message boards

James Leeper, killed by Indians, 1780

James Leeper, killed by Indians, 1780

Posted: 8 Mar 2001 1:44PM GMT
Edited: 2 Jul 2001 1:51AM GMT
Trying to find the identity of this James Leeper. I had thought he was Nicholas Leeper’s son, but that cannot be as I read now that Nicholas’ son James was dead by 1775 from a record stating that Nicholas was mentioned appearing with his son James’ widow, Jane Scott in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina in 1775.
This James I am trying to research cannot be a son of Nicholas’ uncle Robert as he is still living in 1795; nor can he be son of Nicholas’ brothers Andrew, Gawen, James or John (their sons are all accounted for).
He seems to fit in with our Leepers, however, as he was doing the same sort of things (early day dealings with Indian troubles in Kentucky). Can anyone identify him:

James Leeper was killed by Indians December 1780. A history reads, "Entering Kentucky at Cumberland Gap on the Wilderness Road, Captain John Kennedy Jr., William McAfee, the two Leeper brothers, and Joseph Kennedy were attacked by a superior number of Indians. Captain Kennedy and James Leeper were killed, and Joseph Kennedy was taken prisoner. The other Mr. Leeper was watering his horse at Yellow Creek, a short distance away, so made his escape to report the massacre at the nearest settlement. We had thought this brother to be possibly Robert, as one account we saw somewhere (place unknown) many years ago has Robert at a later time being captured by Indians and no record found afterwards.

Thanks to anyone who can help with this. Tom.

Re: James Leeper, killed by Indians, 1780

Posted: 16 Sep 2005 3:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Sep 2005 9:22PM GMT
Surnames: Leeper, Armstrong
This must be the James Leeper who married Jane Armstrong.
If so they were my 6th great grandparents.

Posted: 20 Jan 2009 9:07PM GMT
Surnames: Leeper , Armstrong
I also believe that this the James Leeper that is married to Jane Armstrong daughter of Matthew Armstrong ,NC

Posted: 1 Feb 2010 10:57PM GMT
You may be interested in what I found today. While looking for my other ancestor in KY I found this. This was posted on the Logan's Fort site. Logan's Fort was in Stanford, KY.

The Militia of 1777...
The following is recorded exactly from the Draper Papers:

A list of Capt. Ben LOGAN’S pay roll
with oral note* - gives among others, v ig.
Capt. Ben Logan
Lt. John Logan
Alex Montgomery, Ensign*
Azariah Davis, Ensign
Benj. Patton, Sargt.
Wm. Menifee, Sargt.
Rosel Stevens, Sargt.
George Clark, Sargt.
Hugh Leeper
John Martin
Wm. Whitley
James Leeper
George White
John Fain
Wm. Casey
Robert Barnett
John Kennedy
Julius Saunders
Benjn. Briggs
Nich. Proctor, Sr.
Nich. Proctor, Jr.
Page Proctor
Joseph Proctor
Reuben Proctor
Philip Trammel
Geo. Scote
Joseph Kennedy
Jared Menifee
James Menifee
*This roll must have been made out prior to Sept. 1778 when, Alex Montgomery, Ensign, was killed on Kenton's horse foray.

I have a Hugh and James in my tree but the Hugh is too old for mine. James married Mary Blair and named his son Hugh Blair.

Elaine

per page

Find a board about a specific topic