Search for content in message boards

James, John, Thomas McMahon Clare to NY

James, John, Thomas McMahon Clare to NY

Megan McMahon (View posts)
Posted: 28 Mar 2000 12:04PM GMT
Looking for info on any of htese three brothers. John emmigrated from Co clare to Ellicottville, NY in 1847. James (my ggfather) was born in 1836 in Co Clare and also came to Ellicottville (not sure if with John). Both were merchants, Thomas a farmer all in the Ellicottville area.
Looking for info re birthplace in Co Clare and possibly other siblings. Also looking for descendants of John and Thomas.

McMahon-Simmons in Co. Limerick

Posted: 28 Mar 2000 4:46PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jul 2001 12:31PM GMT
I do not have info to connect your McMahons, but my GGM Mary McMahon, b. Apr 1834 could be a relation. Mary married John Simmons, b. Jun 1828, we believe in Tankardstown, Uregare parish, near Bruff, Co. Limerick. Mary had a brother Patrick McMahon, who married John Simmons' sister, Mary Simmons. Both brother and sister and spouses emigrated in early 1850s to Western PA, and died after 1900 leaving many descendents. We do not know whether McMahons came from Co. Limerick or not. Do you have any info about brothers and sisters marrying? I recently wrote to Limerick Ancestry for information about the Simmons and McMahon relatives. They have computerized church and civil records going back to early 1800s. I have list of web page sites/addresses and/or phone numbers for Irish Family History Research Centres for all 32 counties. I picked up this list in February in Ireland. Hope this helps.

Simmons-McMahon

Posted: 28 Mar 2000 4:59PM GMT
See also my 2/8/00 posting under family name Simmons, for details about Simmons-McMahon families.

McMahons in Clare

Posted: 29 Mar 2000 11:08AM GMT
I do know this McMahon family was from Co Clare. I don't have any info on other possible siblings, but would suspect more. James married a Mariah Co(r)ttrell in NY. John may have been married in IRE to a Jane (?). Based on minimal immigrant info, John may have been born in 1825. How did you get the contact info for Co records? Could you provide me a way to contact the Co Clare records? Thanks much!

Co. Clare Heritage Center address

Posted: 30 Mar 2000 4:33AM GMT
The Irish Family History Research Center listing for Co Clare is:
Clare Heritage Centre
Corofin
Co. Clare
[this is their mailing address]
Phone (065)37955
International phone +353-65-37955
Co. Clare site has no web page or fax no listing.
These centers will research their data base for a fee.
I contacted the Limerick Regional Archives, The Granay, Michael Street, Limerick City. Phone (061) 410777, International phone
+353 61 410777, Contact Dr. Chris O'Mahony. Limerick web site http://www.mayo-Ireland.ie
This site brings up form and instructions to send $50 for initial search. I understand responses may take several months.
Clare does not have a web page, but their procedure is probably similar to Limerick. If you have specific dates, townland and parish, this aids their search. Obviously, McMahon is a common name in Co. Clare, so the more specific your informaion, the more likely they can identify birth, death and marriage records for your people.

Clare Heritage Center

Posted: 30 Mar 2000 5:57AM GMT
You're right, I think I'll need to find out more information first. The Clare Heritage Center charges $120 for an initial search. Might as well save up and go back over there!
Thanks for the info.

gggrandfather was John McMahon from Clare -NY

Kelly McMahon-Willette (View posts)
Posted: 16 Apr 2000 6:15PM GMT
My G-G-Grandfather was a John McMahon (baptised without a middle name), born in co. Clare, was a merchant, and immigrated to NY around the time your family would have. He married Mary Mansfield, and had (I believe) 6 sons and one daughter, Martha...all in NY. His son John McMahon was my great grandfather, who was a sea captain and moved to Virginia. Any connections????? Please email me directly at mcwillette@email.msn.com

cheers,
kelly mcmahon-willette

McMahon

Posted: 19 Apr 2000 8:30AM GMT
Edited: 23 Feb 2004 11:49PM GMT
Megan, I have a Thomas McMahon that married a married Mary Mullahy. Mary's Father was John born in Hollymount in 1876 and her mother was Ellen. Any help?

Thomas McMahon

Megan (View posts)
Posted: 19 Apr 2000 10:02AM GMT
Sorry, I don't have enough info about James's family to know who
Thomas married. I'm pretty sure Thomas and John were James's brothers, but I think I'll have to go to NY to get more info.
Thanks, I'll hold on to this in case the link shows up later...

McMahon

Posted: 19 Apr 2000 10:20AM GMT
Edited: 23 Feb 2004 11:49PM GMT
Thanks Megan keep me posted. Barb
per page

Find a board about a specific topic