Search for content in message boards

Samuel Radford

Samuel Radford

Posted: 4 Jun 2001 12:03PM GMT
Edited: 2 Jul 2001 12:38PM GMT
Samuel Radford married Joannah Underwood, May 28, 1818. Any information on his parents, siblings. I know they had at least one son, William Radford 1848(?).

Re: Samuel Radford

Posted: 30 Jun 2001 12:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Jun 2006 10:37PM GMT
Surnames: RADFORD
I'M ALSO A RADFORD FROM THE UK HOW ABOUT YOU?.WE MAY HAVE INFO TO SWOP.MAIL ME BACK IF INTERESTED.
YOURS CHRIS.W.RADFORD

Posted: 2 Jul 2001 12:45PM GMT
Sorry Chris. So far my Radford's are from VA, USA. I have since discovered a copy of Samuel's will that indicates William is his grandson. Dates I have are Samuel b. 1795,
Joannah Underwood b. 1794. William b. 1848. Though I am still in search of info on this line.

Someone sent me an email stating William was the son of James Tazewell Radford and married Lydia Janney in 1823-1825. When I started looking for these people, I found a James Tazewell Radford as having married a Martha Janney, and James' parents were listed as George Radford and Marta Rigney.

As it seems that William was raised by his grandparents, I am not sure this is the right line.

Chris, if you know of any of the Radfords that came to the US, and where they came to, any help is appreciated.

Allie

Barb TAYLOR (View posts)
Posted: 22 Aug 2001 6:55PM GMT
My recs show Samuel RADFORD & Joannah/Ann [UNDERWOOD] as having the following:
CH:
Margaret (maybe md a HILL??)
Sintha md 7Jan1841 FranklinCoVA to Alexander UNDERWOOD++Possibly a cousin
Eleanor or Elender md 11Dec1837 to Alexander UNDERWOOD++Possibly a cousin & she possibly died young & her sister md her widower
Huldah md 01Feb1845 to James UNDERWOOD
Adeline md 05 Feb1849 to Richard UNDERWOOD
Sources:
1850 FranklinCoVA fam #1128, Mg CD # 229
++++NOTE:
In these same notes I show Sintha who md Alexander UNDERWOOD might be dt/of Samuel RADFORD & Minnie [UNDERWOOD] & having ch-Samuel, Wm, Nellie, plus others.
++None of these are my line as far as I know.

Allie (View posts)
Posted: 23 Aug 2001 7:09PM GMT
Barbara:

Since I first posted this message, I have found out much, and would like to share and have corrections made as necessary.

You wrote:
> My recs show Samuel RADFORD & Joannah/Ann [UNDERWOOD]
> as having the following:
> CH:
> Margaret (maybe md a HILL??)
Have not found any reference to a Margaret. Would like any
further details you might have.

> Sintha md 7Jan1841 FranklinCoVA to
> Alexander UNDERWOOD++Possibly a cousin
Have Sintha/Cinthia/Cyntha. She is listed in Samuel's will.

> Eleanor/Elender md 11Dec1837 to Alexander UNDERWOOD
> ++Possibly a cousin & she possibly died young
> & her sister md her widower
Eleanor/Elender/Ellinder is not the daughter of Samuel and
Joannah. She is their niece. Her parent's are Samuel's brother William M Robert Radford, and Joannah's sister Ellinder.

> Huldah md 01Feb1845 to James UNDERWOOD
> Adeline md 05 Feb1849 to Richard UNDERWOOD
Have not seen any reference to these daughter's before.

I do have the following information. Both have come from information in Samuel's will with the list of grandchildren,
and then LDS, and other sources.

Martha Radford, married Smith James 11 Nov 1851. They had at least one child, Floyd James b 25 Oct 1854 Franklin,WV d 27 Aug 1929 Fayette, WV.

Mary Elizabeth Radford, married Creed Smith, 3 Nov 1834. They had the following children:
Robert Smith 1839
Samuel Smith 1841
John Smith 1842
Bird Smith 1842 Franklin, VA
Mary M Smith 1848
Nancy Abegill Smith 1854

Also at least one son. James Radford, believed to have married a Nancy (?). My previous question about William as Samuel's son, was incorrect information that I had gotten. Samuel was William's grandfather, but from what I am able to
gather William's father is probably James, who died at an early age.

> Sources:
> 1850 FranklinCoVA fam #1128, Mg CD # 229
> ++++NOTE:
> In these same notes I show Sintha who md Alexander
> UNDERWOOD might be dt/of Samuel RADFORD & Minnie
> [UNDERWOOD] & having ch-Samuel, Wm, Nellie, plus
> others.
I have for Alexander Underwood and Cintha Radford the following children (NOTE: Have not verified if any children
for Eleanor and Alexander. Alexander married after Cintha,
need to find her name again).
Eleanor m Noah Underwood d. 10 Dec 1860 Floyd VA
Clementine b 1845 d 25 Nov 1861 (age 16)
Martha A m Thomas Guinn, 20 Apr 1845
Samuel m Nancy Gillespie, 4 Jun 1873
William Jesse b 6Aug1858 Franklin, VA d 12Oct1937
Franklin, VA m Mary Ann Ferris, 8 Aug 1875
Elizabeth m James A Stump, 31 Dec 1878
Cynthia m William T Stump, 15 Aug 1883
Richard A b 30 Nov 1865
Mary b Jul 1847, d 28 Dec 1853
(6yr5mo scarlett fever)
Rodelia b Mar 1853, d May 1853
(2mo 7days whopping cough)

How do you fit in the Radford clan? Email me direct @
nascarali@yahoo.com

Thanks for you information

Posted: 15 Jan 2002 10:32PM GMT
I have been trying to connect William Morton with marrying Kanzada Radford. Kanzada was the d/o Samuel (Ellender Ellen) Radford. I think it is possible that William moved to Fayette County, West Virginia. I think William and Kanzada had 2 children there. Stephen, born Feb 1873, and S. H., born Feb 1874. 1st child parents listed as William and Keziah, 2nd child parents listed as William and Kanzada (1866-1880 Fayette County Births). Kanzada apparently died. William is alleged to have married 2nd to Victoria Wiseman and lived in Kanawha County, West Virginia. I have been trying to verify all this somehow? My G-G-Grandfather was William Amos Radford, Brother of Samuel. William Amos moved to Fayette County, West Virginia after Civil War. Don't take this to the Bank! William Amos Radford is not, but the rest is speculation at this point.

Posted: 15 Jan 2002 10:41PM GMT
I think Samuel's Grandson was William Morton Radord, son of James W. Radford. James W. died about 1861. James married Nancy Smith Oct 17, 1842 (Creed Smith surety).

I have pieced this information together somehow from the Internet. I do not know how accurate any of this could be?

My 1st reply got blown away somehow!

IRe: Samuel Radford

Posted: 22 Mar 2002 3:38PM GMT
I am related on this side my great grandmother was Mahala Radford a brother of Tazewell Radford Born 1835 died 1890 he was married to Sarah Janney. He is buried in the Radford cemetery in Floyd Va. just off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Also, buried there is his brother Greenville Radford and his 2 wives, my great grandmother Mahala Radford Terry and her husband Peter Terry. Tazewell Radford was the son of George Radford (1809-1878) and Maragret Rigney. They were married in Franklin Co. Va. in 1832.

Posted: 7 May 2002 7:41PM GMT
Surnames: Radford
I am the granddaughter of William Morton Radford. He first married Canzada Radford. They had four children, William H., Stephen, Joe and Virginia. I know that William moved to Fayette County, WV and had a "housekeeper". He then moved to the Charleston, WV area and married my Grandmother, Victoria Wiseman. They had thirteen or fourteen children, my father Robert being one of the youngest.
I have traced the Radford family back to 1850, but can find nothing after that. Would love to discuss this with you.

Pat Ryan

Posted: 7 May 2002 7:47PM GMT
Surnames: Radford
My records show that William Morton Radford was the grndson of Samuel and Johanna Radford. I have been tracing this family as William was my grandfather.

Let's talk

Pat Ryan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic