Search for content in message boards

Nellie Rossiter from Ontario, Canada

Nellie Rossiter from Ontario, Canada

Posted: 3 Aug 2006 10:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rossiter, Bushnell
I was wondering if anyone hase research information on the Rossiter family in Upper Peninsula, MI?

My great grandmother, Nellie Rossiter was born in Kingston, Frontenac, Ontario Canada on 06 July 1861.

The 1900 census shows (Nellie Bushnell, wife of Harry L. Bushnell) she immigrated in 1866.

I have a lot of conflicting information about her parents.

I purchased a Bushnell Family History written by George Eleazer Bushnell
It states:
Harry Lathrop, b. AuSable Forks, N. Y., 31 July 1861, m. 16 Nov. 1881, Nellie Ellen Rossiter of Ispeming, Mich., b. Kingston, Ontario, Canada, 6 July 1861, d. Chicago, Ills., 28 Feb. 1932, dau. of John and Rose (Haggerty) Rossiter.

I also found an article in the Memorial Record of the Northern Peninsula of Michigan (attached).which states:

The marriage of Harry L. Bushnell was solemnized at Escanaba, November 17, 1881, when he was united to Miss Nellie E. Rossiter, a daughter of Richard Rossiter, who is now a resident of Tower, Minnesota, where, as a skilled mechanic, he holds preferment as boss carpenter for the Minnesota Iron Company. Mrs. Bushnell has one brother, John Rossiter, a resident of Duluth, Minnesota. Our subject and his wife are the parents of three children: Mabel. Sam and Blanche

Note in this her parents are Richard and Rose Rossiter and it shows she has a brother John. I have found census records for them in Minnesota in 1900. John was living separately. There is also an 1880 Census record in Tilden, Marquette, Michigan for Rose and Richard with three children

The third piece of the puzzle is her death certificate. It lists her parents as Kate Haggerty and Henry Rossiter.

So now I have three father’s first names and two mother’s first names!

Any information or ideas that you have would be really helpful.

Re: Nellie Rossiter from Ontario, Canada

Posted: 21 Sep 2007 10:13PM GMT
Surnames: ROSSITER, ROSITER
1870 Census, MARQUETTE NEGAUNEE
ROSITER RICHARD 39 M W CANA occ: carpenter
wife Rosa age 30
son John age 13
dau Ellen age 10
dau Mary E. age 2
son Francis age 1

Also, you didn't mention that Ellen is found in the 1880 census at the Michegan School for the Blind & Deaf in Flint, MI, listed as age 20, blind.
So apparently she lived with her family in Marquette County MI until she went to the school in Flint (which was a residential school, I'm sure) and then she went back to Marquette County and was married and lived in Ispeming, which is not so far from Tilden where her parents were living in 1880, the year before she married.

Posted: 22 Sep 2007 3:55PM GMT
Thank you. I was aware of the 1880 Census, but have never been able to prove that this is the same Nellie Rossiter. I don't have any other records indicating that she was blind. I actually never noticed that notation before on the 1880 census. I also didn't know what D. D. & B. stood for.

Thanks so much for the information!

John

Posted: 24 Sep 2007 9:20PM GMT
Surnames: BUSHNELL, ROSSITER
Hi John
Looked for data from Kingston, Frontenac, Ontario CA to connect with Richard, Rose or Nellie.
Found this marriage record, with a Rossiter as witness:

Edwin PARMENTER, 28, Lansdowne, Gananoque, s/o Joel PARMENTER & Margaret McNEIL, married Mary Jane GARMON, 23, Ireland, Gananoque, d/o David GARMON & Catherine HORAN, witn: R. ROSSITER & P. DEVELIN, both of Kingston, 14 Dec 1858

Also, note that there is a James Richard Rossiter, of the Roman Catholic Church in Gananoque at this time. These Rossiters appear to be the Irish ones since most of the Rossiters in Frontenac county seem to be RC. So your Richard might be connected here. There are quite a few Haggerty people, RC, in this area also.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~theislands/islandpi...
St. Philomena’s as a mission of Gananoque
James B.(H.?R.?) Rossiter 1851-1862 (another marriage record shows him as James Richard Rossiter)

I note that your family tree posting does not show Harry and Ellen on the 1920 census. If you don't have that reference, it is:
BUSHNELL HARRY T 58 M W NY WI ONEIDA 4-WD; RHINELANDER
With wife Nellie E. and son Kendall, dau Helen

The 1910 census should note if Nellie Ellen was blind (field 31). The 1920 census has Read? line 17 and Write? line 18. Unfortunately this is not readable in either of the copies I checked.

I was hoping to find a copy of the 1861 census for Frontenac & Kingston, but there apparently isn't one online.

Best of luck in your search!

Posted: 25 Sep 2007 4:09AM GMT
Thank you again so much for the information.

I am trying to find the 1920 Census record in your note. I know it is accurate as I can place Helen and her Brother at Central Elementary and Rhinelander High School in Rhinelander, WI at that time.

I have access to the 1920 Census on Ancestry.com, but can't seem to find the record:
BUSHNELL HARRY T 58 M W NY WI ONEIDA 4-WD; RHINELANDER
With wife Nellie E. and son Kendall, dau Helen

Thanks again for everything!

John

Posted: 25 Sep 2007 5:03PM GMT
Surnames: ROSSITER, BUSHNELL
Hi John
Here's the complete transcription (from Heritage Quest).
If you want a copy on paper, email me directly your postal address and I'll put one in the mail.

1920 Census Wisconsin, Oneido County, Rheinlander City
dated 21 day of January; SD 10; ED 134 (or 154); Ward 4; Sheet #7A; lines 86 to 89; family 134/dw 148
Bushnell, Harry T. head, Owns, Mortgage, Male, White, age 58, married, can read, can write, born New York, fpb: US; mpb: US; speaks english; occ: maybe printer, hard to read.
--, Nellie E. wife, female, white, age 58 married, 1866/or 65 na, can read, can write, born Canada, fpb: canada, english; mpb: canada, english, occ: possibly "none"
--, Kendall R?, son, male, white age 28 single, at school, can read, can write, born Michigan, fpb: New York; mpb: Canada, english, occ: possibly "none"
--, Helen M?, dau, female white age 17 single, at school, can read, can write, born Michigan; fpb: New York; mpb: canada english; occ: possibly "none"

Also, it turns out the Rev James Richard Rossiter of Gananoque died in 1863 at the age of 37. So it is unlikely that he is Richard's father, although he might be a brother or cousin.

Best Regards
Laure

Posted: 25 Sep 2007 9:41PM GMT
Laure,

Thanks again!

I found the record on Heritage Quest, which gave me enough information to locate it on Ancestry.com. Harry is listed on Ancestry as Harry T Bennekwell and Nellie as Nellie E Bennekwell, both age 38 (S/B 58). I am submitting corrections to Ancestry.

Thanks for everything! I hope I have return the favor someday!

John
per page

Find a board about a specific topic