Search for content in message boards

Caleb Witcher family

Caleb Witcher family

Kari King (View posts)
Posted: 30 Nov 2001 7:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
I was wondering if anyone could be of any help. I am looking for info on Caleb Coleman Witcher b. 1822 in VA and d. July 17, 1878 in Ray Co., MO. He m. Elmina Jacobs in 1841. She was b. 1829 in KY and d. December 03, 1888 in Ray Co., MO.

His father is possibly Caleb Witcher b. 1-1-1770 and m. Liddy (Giddy) Watson. Can anyone dispute/confirm this? I have had an extremely difficult time attaching parents to Caleb Coleman. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!! THANKS in advance!!

Re: Caleb Witcher family

Posted: 2 Dec 2005 11:28PM GMT
Surnames: witcher, Minton, Jacobs
My husbands grandmother was Donnella Witcher. she was the daughter of Thomas & Maryetta(Minton) Witcher. He was the son of Caleb Coleman and Elmira (Jacobs) Witcher. ((my dates for Caleb & Elmira are the same as yours)) Calebs father was Ephraim & Nancy (Young) Witcher from Pitsylvania, VA
Ephraim was brother to Caleb who married Giddy Watson. As you probably have already found there are bazillions of witchers.....and alot with the same names

Posted: 19 Aug 2007 4:21AM GMT
Surnames: Witcher Young Adams Dangerfield Corn
Hello, my name is Julie. I have been in contact with a DAR member who is a direct descendant of the Ephraim Witcher (m. Nancy Young) who came to MO and met up with his brothers James (m. Nancy Corn) and Caleb (m. Dorothy Dangerfield). They all ended up in the Northern Pettis and Southern Saline county area. They are all sons of Ephraim Witcher who married Jensey Adams. It is my understanding that Ephraim and Nancy (Young) Witcher did not have a son named Caleb. Their children were Julia Ann, William Patrick, Peyton Oglesby, Harriet Jane, Sarah Emily, and Nancy Francis (my gg grandmother). This Ephraim (m. Nancy Young) line is recorded in DAR records with these children. I have a lot of info on this line. Nancy Francis Witcher married James Hodges and are my direct ancestors.

I think the Caleb Witcher who married Giddy Watson was the son of William Witcher Sr (m. Anne Majors). The Ephraim who was this Caleb's brother was the one who married Jensey Adams (mentioned above).

I have visited the Ephraim Witcher (m. Nancy Young) Cemetery which is located at the intersection of I70 and Highway 65 in MO. There is another Witcher Cemetery located close by. I haven't been to the second one. Between the two I believe that the Ephraim, James, and Caleb are mostly all buried there.

You are right, there are a bazillion Witchers... and a bazillion Ephraim, Caleb, and James...

Posted: 9 Jan 2008 11:13PM GMT
Julie, I would love to correspond with you and get more info from you.....the info I found could verywell be incorrect and since you have been to missouri and have better data, I would like to update mine. I have a copy of the family bible but it does not go back that far. I can be reached at caosburn@yahoo.com
I look forward to hearing from you.

Posted: 22 May 2008 11:07PM GMT
Surnames: Witcher,Shackleford,Owens,Lunsford, Shields,Brooks, Henry, LePrade
My Caleb Witcher married Giddy Rowden 10 Dec. 1799, not a Watson. I wish someone could tell me where the Watson connection got started. No Witcher's married any Watson according to the printed marriages of Pittsylvania Co., Va. from 1709-1799. Ephraim married Jensy Adams and Caleb m. Giddy "Vashti" Rowden. (Vashti in census reoords and family Bible).

Caleb's last name was mispelled as Withers. the "c" was left out but he is immediately with Ephraim. The marriage date of Caleb and Giddy matches our family date.
Leland Garton

Posted: 22 May 2008 11:14PM GMT
Julie

I am desperate to find out who first listed Giddy as a Watson. Pittslyvania marriages list her as Giddy Rowden. In all my research I have not been able to tie Giddy to a Watson family, except by speculation by others. Would love to know answer. According to records I have searched no Witcher ever marriaged a Watson. Would love to know if proven wrong.
Leland Garton

Posted: 31 Aug 2008 1:07AM GMT
Surnames: Witcher
This post was deleted by the author on 10 Mar 2013 2:13PM GMT

Posted: 31 Aug 2008 3:15AM GMT
Ephraim Witcher had only one wife, Elizabeth Phipps as you can see from the abstract of his will:

Surry County, NC, Will Abstracts. 3:144. Surry Co., NC: Will of Ephraim (E) Witcher, 18 Nov. 1819. Children: Betsey Witcher, Nancy Witcher, and William. Son Lacy to have 83 acres called Lacefield’s Place. Son Benjamin to have negro boy Allen. Wife - Betsey. Exec: Stephen Potter, Lacy Witcher. Wit: Benjamin Potter, Leonard Roy. Proved Feb Court 1820.
(Note: The 1817 Surry Co. Tax list shows Ephraim Witcher with 443 A on Mitchells River with 4 slaves and John Witcher with 1 wp, 1 bp. Stephen Potter served in the War of 1812 from Surry Co. There are estate papers at the NC Archives.)

His son James did marry Tempy Witcher 31 Dec 1811, in Pittsylvania Co. VA. I don't have the other two James Witchers you asked about.

James and Tempy are my ancestors.
Barbara Good

Posted: 31 Aug 2008 4:25AM GMT
Surnames: Witcher
This post was deleted by the author on 10 Mar 2013 2:13PM GMT

Posted: 31 Aug 2008 4:56PM GMT
Ephraim supposedly had 12 children, so most of them are not included in the will. I do have a copy of the will at home and I will dig it out when I get there and see if the abstract covers all who are mentioned in it. There is nothing in my computer file that proves 12 children.

Tempy's father was John Witcher, Sr. I have no wife for him and have nothing else about his will except the following:
NOTES FOR JOHN WITCHER SR.:
John Witcher, who left will in Pittsyvania Co. dated 23 January 1834, proved 18 May 1834 (Will Bk. 1, p. 272). In that will he names a daughter "Tempy Witcher".

I don't think I have a copy of John's will but I will check to make sure. If I forget, remind me in a week.
Barbara
BWGood@aol.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions