Search for content in message boards

Input welcome re: need for new software

Input welcome re: need for new software

Posted: 11 Nov 2012 9:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Nov 2012 9:53PM GMT
For years I used Family Origins software and now, because of the final demise of the computer on which the program was loaded, I find myself needing to migrate to a new program. I would consider myself at an intermediate level.

In doing some research, it seems that Roots Magic provides a FULL transfer of all the data in my FOWIN files. But, I am aware that I can also export the files via GEDCOM. Fortunately, I had both backed up on a thumb drive.

My question is this - I would rather not have to go through this type of software switch again and am looking for input from others about which way I should go. I am wary of using programs that require me to "subscribe" to an online only program/service and am looking for something that can stand on it's own, but possibly integrate with online services for searches without requiring an ongoing membership.

My basic dislike of those type of programs related to the fact that I am sporadic in my research and find that months may go by without my doing anything and so it feels like a waste of money. I also intensely dislike how difficult it is to cancel a lot of these types of service programs, usually involving making a phone call and having to justify to someone why I want to cancel.

So, I guess I am looking for some input as to why I would NOT want to go the RootsMagic route and what might be a better option.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Re: Input welcome re: need for new software

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 7:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Dec 2012 7:31PM GMT
Every software has strengths and weaknesses. All of the software I have used are similar in the broad strokes. You simply need to consider, what features are most important to you.

Importing data directly from your database is a handy feature; however, I can tell you that it likely will not be a perfect import. The GEDCOM will almost certainly not be a perfect import between programs.

I am not aware of any program that REQUIRES one to subscribe to a service in order to use it. There are programs that work with various services (like FTM and Ancestry.com or Legacy and FamilySearch.org). Many of the programs that I have used or been exposed to require a purchase price, but they stand on their own.

If you select a software that does not integrate with a database at all or with the one you want, you could try GenSmarts, which will search numerous online databases using your file. It will import a GEDCOM, but you get better results if GenSmarts can directly read your file type (it works with all the windows software mentioned and several others.

Most of the software packages have a trial or limited version that will let you evaluate them. I would suggest you start with that (GenSmarts also has a trial).

My suggestion is to find the software that you like the best and switch. You can do this through the software trials. In the end, it is a personal choice.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions