Search for content in message boards

New Search Result Page Visual Updates

New Search Result Page Visual Updates

Posted: 1 Apr 2013 10:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi All,

As part of our efforts to improve the performance on the site and have pages load faster for our members, we have been updating the visual styles of our pages. We’re working to have less visual styles that need to be downloaded to your computer when viewing pages and to use more modern techniques which will make pages faster to load. The search results pages for global and category searches will be updated in the next two to three weeks. The pages in “old search” will not be updated at this time, but as we are updating the main search results pages we will be adding a tab to view results by record categories, which has not been as prominently available as it is in “old search.” I've attached a preview of what they will look like below.

Thanks,
Katharine

Ancestry.com
Search Product Team
Attachments:

Re: New Search Result Page Visual Updates

Posted: 3 Apr 2013 2:52AM GMT
That might be enough to make me try new search again.

Posted: 3 Apr 2013 4:15AM GMT
Does this mean that the Old Search will not be available at all?

Posted: 3 Apr 2013 12:57PM GMT
Katharine Nester,

PLEASE, answer the question: Will Ancestry keep the "old search"? It is the only one I use. Thank you.

Posted: 3 Apr 2013 2:29PM GMT
Hi,

Yes, old search is still available, but since 95% of our user base uses new search, we’re focusing our technology updates to new search, such as these changes to the visual layout for performance improvements.

Thanks,
Katharine

Search Product Team

Posted: 3 Apr 2013 4:26PM GMT
I would seriously question that 95% of the userbase uses New Search unless they simply are unaware that Old Search still exists...it can be difficult to find for inexperienced users.

I chat with quite a few Ancestry users and read what is posted on these boards and Old Search is still quite popular.

Personaly I only resort to New Search if I'm not having luck finding someone using Old Search which I prefer by far.

Joan

Posted: 3 Apr 2013 4:31PM GMT
I also doubt 95% of users use new search. I despise New Search. I just hate the way Ancestry is pushing users to change what works for us.

Posted: 3 Apr 2013 4:35PM GMT
What I am experiencing trying to use message boards is that at least 1/4 of the time I get an error message when I try to pull up a message. Maybe y'all should work on that for a change.

Posted: 3 Apr 2013 5:21PM GMT
Joan,

I think it fair to say that Ancestry has the tools to track exactly which users are using which search engine.

ALso, those who comment on these boards about old vs. new search comprise a very tiny fraction of Ancestry's total users.

Add that to the fact that over 50% on Ancestry users have been added withing the last 2-3 years and many probably never even heard of old search since they probably don't read the Ancestry Blog or thses boards and I find the 95% figure perfectly believable.

Posted: 3 Apr 2013 5:42PM GMT
I think the new design is much too bright. It's a recipe for eye strain.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions