Search for content in message boards

what I need from genealogy software

what I need from genealogy software

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 1:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 23 Nov 2012 2:00PM GMT
I haven't been doing this very long, so I may not even know what I need, but perhaps you can help with that too. I started our family trees on ancestry.com and have never used genealogy software. Now I have 2 trees for me (mother's line and father's line) and 2 for my husband. There are less than 500 people in each tree. I have a lot of media - photos, letters, recipes, etc. And I have a few family members who are interested in viewing and/or contributing to our trees.

Here's what I think I need in genealogy software.

(1) stability - I don't want to install something that will crash a lot or mess up my system. Based on comments I've read here, that excludes FTM 2012.
(2) ability to merge existing trees
(3) ability to include existing media when merging trees
(4) ability to create a web page where others can view the tree without providing credit card info

Is there any software that does all this? I don't mind paying for something that does what I want.

Thanks for your advice!

Re: what I need from genealogy software

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 2:28PM GMT
Do a web search for "compare genealogy software" and you'll find lots of advice. Also take a look at previous posts on this board. This subject has been discussed many times.

You could always start with a free program, like the LDS' Personal Ancestry File (https://familysearch.org/products), decide what you like/don't like about it and move to another program from there.

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 3:28PM GMT
Look here for some ideas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web-based_genealo...

Your biggest problem is merging. This is by far the hardest thing for software to do and gives yo the biggest chance for getting a mess.

If you can find a copy of PAF this can make a simple webpage a more robust interactive website will require software that is found on one of the above site.

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 4:45AM GMT
Merging two or more trees, especially if there are no overlapping persons, might be the easiest thing you could do---depending upon the software. All genealogy software will merge two or more trees into one.

You should also look at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_genealogy_softwar...

Before buying take advantage of free trial period. If that genealogy software offers it. The good ones do.

Chuck

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 3:46AM GMT
Overlapping People could be easy, what about overlapping SOURce, OBJEcts (pictures). These could cause a lot of work to be resolved.

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 9:07AM GMT
I'm only familiar with the software that I'm using. For pictures and other media exhibits--or objects, if you will-- most of them are external, so the path is already set to whatever is being referenced. The few internal exhibits might be a problem. As for sources, you merge them; whatever citations were referencing the two or more different sources will now reference one. it simply transfers all the cites from one source to another surviving source. All you need to do is connect the people in the dataset, by marriage, birth or otherwise.

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 11:31PM GMT
great suggestions - thanks, everyone!

Posted: 7 Dec 2012 12:17PM GMT
I know this is a bit late but can I offer something from my own learning experience. -- Decide which program you prefer to use and stick to it --. I have used Roots Magic 6, FTM 2012 and Legacy 7.5 (all full versions). Obviously they have their own strengths and weaknesses but my experience is that moving complete trees from one to another can play havoc with your data if you make use of any of the "bells and whistles" in one program and then try to move to another (take backups before doing anything) . In addition do not assume that they play well with standard GEDCOM files.

Posted: 10 Dec 2012 1:51AM GMT
Some of the softwares have "trial versions" so you can get a feel for the software and whether or not it fits your needs.

That being said, I highly recommend RootsMagic for the capability of merging trees via "drag & drop".

Posted: 16 Dec 2012 4:13PM GMT
Thanks for recent replies - I appreciate your tips. I think after the holidays I'll try Roots Magic.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions