Search for content in message boards

Creating a Family Tree Book -- Need Advice

Creating a Family Tree Book -- Need Advice

Posted: 4 Dec 2012 7:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have been gathering family information for the past several years and have compiled quite a bit of info including letters, photos, stories, etc. I have the info on the computer, in notebooks, in albums, loose, etc. I now want to spend some time trying to create a book on the family tree. I want to be able to write up the info and also include photos, clippings that I have gathered, etc. I don't think that Microsoft Word has the capability that I require for being able to format all of this into a book. I'd like to use some sort of software that would allow me to move things around on the page, add different types of info (clippings, photos, documents, etc). Any advice?? Thanks! Bob

Re: Creating a Family Tree Book -- Need Advice

Posted: 6 Dec 2012 6:51PM GMT
Edited: 6 Dec 2012 6:54PM GMT
The type of product you are looking for is called a Desktop Publishing software. The most common are Adobe InDesign and Microsoft Publisher.

InDesign is a $700 program by itself; however, Adobe recently started a subscription service called Creative Cloud. For $50 a month you get all of Adobe's software. Under Creative Cloud, you download and install the software as you would the stand alone version, you get all updates, and your computer will check to make sure your license is current every month (via the internet). If you qualify for the educational pricing, it is $30 per month. You must pay for a full year under the educational pricing, but you can go month to month under the standard. InDesign is the standard for the industry.

Publisher is an entry-level software and it costs $140 for a stand-alone license. It is a basic software for Desktop Publishing, and it may be better for your needs. It is easier to learn if you don't consider yourself computer savvy.

Comparing the two is like comparing a Fiat 500 to an SR-71. They just are not in the same league. However, if you can't fly the SR-71, you are just going to crash.

In summary, if you don't know what Adobe produces or what their software is capable of, you don't want to learn complex software, or you have no need for any of the other packages, I would suggest Publisher. Otherwise, go with the Creative Cloud (educational pricing if you can get it).

Also, there are many books, videos, software, and websites dedicated to both software packages. So, support or introductory level material is easy to find.

I hope this helps.

Posted: 31 Dec 2012 8:52PM GMT
Hi, I have plans to eventually produce a book as well, and so was curious about this thread. I will probably use an online publishing program, such as My Publisher or Blurb. My husband has created books using each of these companies, and is very pleased with them. There is no charge to download the software you need, and you play with it as long as you have to, and then submit it. You pay for the books you order. There are other companies as well that you could find online. I don't know where you are, but check into shipping costs, as well as the cost of the books if you decide to go this way.

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 6:03PM GMT
The Imac has a built-in app called iPhoto that I am using to do just what you are hoping to do. At this stage I haven't finished the whole process and seen a published book/album, but so far so good. I will deal with scraps of paper and old photos by photographing them to JPEGs, adjusting to size in Photoshop or similar and importing them to the album in the same way as other photos (Iphoto provides quite a lot of photo adjustment, but sadly, no scaling). You could treat sections of the family tree in a similar fashion. iPhoto provides for text of any length in a variety of fonts. If you are driving a PC maybe a second-hand Mac would be a cheaper way of achieving your aims rather than only getting software for your money.

Posted: 5 Feb 2013 8:39PM GMT
I've been using Family Tree Maker Software. It organizes everything as you put it in. Its Awesome!

Good Luck!

Posted: 5 Mar 2013 3:34PM GMT
Microsoft OneNote might be of interest. It's meant to be a " digital three ring binder" and is VERY flexible, just like a paper notebook would be. It's not very well known, but it's an outstanding program.

You can save all or part of a notebook as a PDF at any time, so sharing is easy.

I use OneNote for many,many projects, including genealogy.

If you have Office 2010 or 2013, you probably already have it on your 'puter. If not, you can try it free to see what you think.

Many helpful videos, etc. are on the office-dot-com site to get you started.
Good luck, whichever program you choose!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic