Search for content in message boards

J.L. Freeman gravesite

J.L. Freeman gravesite

Posted: 5 Dec 2007 3:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Freeman
Does anyone know the exact location of the gravesite of J. L. Freeman, Indian Scout, who was killed by Indians and scalped? This was supposed to have happened on Freeman Mountain, Catron county, NM. There is a date of 1854. I don't know if this is a birthdate or death date.

I would be interested in hearing from you.
Nancy

Re: J.L. Freeman gravesite

Posted: 5 Dec 2007 2:50PM GMT
It does not help with location,but death date is listed as:
http://www.catroncountynewmexico.org/cemLoneGraves.html
FREEMAN, J. L. January 27, 1905

The website is "under new management";perhaps as she progresses,there will be a link to contact her, and you can ask for the specifics of his burial from their book?

Posted: 5 Dec 2007 3:18PM GMT
I have that book. If you want the quote, I can do it here.
Charles Barnum

Posted: 6 Dec 2007 2:06AM GMT
Gee, thanks. I'd love that info. I've been chasing Freeman over hill and dale. It seems I am getting closer.

Nancy

Posted: 6 Dec 2007 2:47AM GMT
Thank you, Janet. Every little bit of info helps.

Nancy

Posted: 6 Dec 2007 5:31PM GMT
As relayed to me, by someone who owns the Catron County Cemetery book:

"On page 267 of the Catron Cemetery book, it says Freeman is buried 4 miles east of Center Fire Bog, at the head of the Rio Blanca Creek on top of the mountain."

Posted: 6 Dec 2007 10:39PM GMT
Thank you, Janet. I didn't realize that the book, Dust to Dust was the cemetery book that you were speaking of. I have that book, but it doesn't give a very clear picture of the gravesite. I am hoping to contact someone who has been there and seen it. So far, no luck.
Thank you,
Nancy

Posted: 10 Nov 2009 2:43PM GMT
I am still trying to locate the J.L. Freeman gravesite. I am interested in contacting someone who has been there or knows someone who's been there. Surely some cowboy has ridden past it. If you know anything about this gravesite, please let me hear from you.
Nancy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic