Search for content in message boards

Boss Family from Washington Co. Rhode Island

Boss Family from Washington Co. Rhode Island

Posted: 1 Apr 2006 5:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have bee desperately seeking info on the family of my GGgrandmother, Renewed Boss Warner. Renewed was born in Rhode Island, somewhere in the Providence area or Newport area back around 1805. I know that she was married to James Madison Warner of New York, primarily in the Oneida, Sullvan, Syracuse area. I know her husband, James died in 1849, in Syracuse, NY, & at some point Renewed was a resident in Exeter, RI. This is documented in the 1880 census, & shows her living with her sister or being a sister to someone who lived there at that time. I have no idea when she went back to Rhode Island. My Ggrandmother, Susannah Melissa was born in the Durhamville or Sullivan, NY on Oct. 1842 or 1843. She went by the name of Melissa & she married a William Watkins, of Durhamville, in Dec.30, 1858. Years later, they evidently moved to Ovid, MI, where my grandmother Maude Inez & her sister Mary Watkins were born. At sometime after Renewed lived in Exeter, she must have moved to Ovid with her daughter Melissa, & that is where she died May 25, 1933, & is buried at Maplewood Cemetery in Ovid. I am trying to find out who Renewed's parents were & believe that she is a descendent of perhaps Capt. Benjamin Boss, Jr. who was married to Sarah Peckham, perhaps. This would be in the right timeline. I would so appreciate any info on this family or which family she may be a descendent of. It would help if I could find out what home Renewed lived in Exeter in 1880. If anyone knows, please let me know, & I would be so thankful. Thankyou.

Re: Boss Family from Washington Co. Rhode Island

Scott Broadbent (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jul 2006 12:00AM GMT
Surnames: Boss; Broadbent
I too am searching for information regarding the marriage between James Broadbent and Emily Boss, the daughter of Capt. Benjamin Boss and Sarah Peckham. Let me know if you can help.

Posted: 31 Jul 2006 6:28PM GMT
Edited: 21 Oct 2006 2:20AM GMT

Posted: 3 Nov 2007 1:19PM GMT
Surnames: Boss, Crandall
Does your Renewed Boss have any family that went to North Carolina

Posted: 22 Apr 2008 10:07PM GMT
Janice - I am also researching Boss family in Washington County RI in the 1775-early 1800s, I did a little digging today and came up with Renewed B. Warner living with brother Joshua Boss in Exeter, Washington Cnty, RI, in 1880 (census record). She was not with him in 1870.

Joshua was a rake manufacturer, in 1850 lived with a McCullam family in Tyringham, MA. No census record in 1860; no family listed except Renewed.

I am looking specifically for parents of Josiah Francis Boss, born So. Kingstown in 1815. Based only on biblical names, time, and locale, I wonder if Josiah and Joshua could be brothers? Also Ezekiel?

I hope this infor may be of some use to you. Good luck - Patty Boss Bathen

Posted: 26 Apr 2008 2:50AM GMT
Patty-I am very happy to hear from you,as there are so many Boss' located today in the Washington Co. area of Rhode Island. I would be happy to communicate with you as I do have info on the family, & Joshua had his sister, Renewed take care of his home in Westerly. I am sure that all the Boss family members are related. I just can't find out who Joshua's parents were. I know the family were living around the whole area. I am in hopes of going to the Newport area soon, as I have family there (Hubbard). I do have some info that have received but most all the info is on my desktop that needs to be checked out as it is down at this moment. You can reach me at jan12739@earthlink.net. Please do let me know when you read this. Your Boss family member could be related, brother perhaps or cousin. What do you know about your Boss family, & where do you live? Hope to hear from you.

Posted: 18 May 2009 8:36PM GMT
Janice - I didn't realize that a whole year has passed since your last msg re those elusive Bosses in early RI. Are you thinking that Joshua and Josiah may have been brothers? Certainly sounds possible to me. Now if we could just find the next earlier generation! Josiah/Mary Ann Sherman are my 3rd grt-grandparents and I have good data from there til now if any of it would be helpful to you. Josiah's son, Joseph apparently lived in and around So RI, but his son George (my grt-grandfather brought his wife and young family to So Calif in early 1890s. My father, Mervin "Pat" and I were born in Los Angeles, my children in No Calif. Then it starts to get messy again with grandchildren and grt-grandchildren scattered from coast to coast!

I live in Tucson AZ, where it is getting HOT, right around 100 for the last 2 weeks, and that's just the beginning. My husband and I usually leave town and head to the cooler NW - Oregon and Washington about the 1st of June, return in late Sept so I expect to be on the road for a while but I do check my e-mail at least once a week, wherever we can find Internet hookups. I promise to answer quicker next time. -Patty Sue

Posted: 30 May 2009 5:18PM GMT
Surnames: Bpss/Warner,Watkins, Hubbard
My GGgrandmother was Renewed Boss Warner. I know that after her husband, James Warner, died & her children were grown, she moved in with my Ggrandmother, & Ggrandfather, Melissa & William Watkins. At some point, Renewed moved back to take care of her brother & the home in Exeter, RI. I am sure that Exeter holds many answers, about the people who lived there. I know that Joshua lived in the house, as he is listed on a census. along with Renewed as housekeeper. I would like to make a trip there someday. Have you ever been to Exeter, RI?

Posted: 25 Jun 2009 4:15PM GMT
Edited: 4 May 2013 3:53AM GMT
Hello, Patty
I wish we could find out who else was related to Joshua Boss. My GGgrandmother Renewed Boss Warner probably lived in Sullivan/Durhamville, NY, in 1870 as she was married to James Warner. There must be some more info on Joshua's family, & his siblings. Please let me know if you find out anymore on Josiah. I feel sure that there has to be info in Exeter & the area & towns around there. There are still Boss'still living in those areas. Hope to hear back from you. Thankyou.

Posted: 25 Jun 2009 4:22PM GMT
I don't know of any Boss' going to N Carolina but I am sure there are many there, as they are most places. As far as I know in my family, they were in RI & my GGgrandmother lived in NY, as her husband, James Warner lived there. Renewed went to live with my Ggrandmother, Susannah Melissa Watkins,
who lived in Ovid, MI. She went by her middle name, however. Melissa was married to William Watkins from Durhamville, NY. Renewed Warner must have gone back to
Exeter to take care of her brother, Joshua, I presume.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions