Search for content in message boards

Madeleine Poulin m. François-Xavier Thibault abt 1724

Madeleine Poulin m. François-Xavier Thibault abt 1724

Posted: 28 May 2002 3:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Jun 2003 2:59AM GMT
Surnames: Poulin, Thibault, Giguère, Bouche,r Dupré, Gagné
Here's a tough nut to crack for all you amateur genealogists out there (like me).
François-Xavier Thibault (b 6 Sep 1695) and Madeleine Poulin (b 20 Dec 1706) married abt. 1724 and had 14 children, including my 4th-great-granddaddy André Thibault. There are two sticking points in going further back in time.
Some people give Nicolas Thibault and Françoise Boucher (married 23 Jul 1686) as parents of François-Xavier Thibault, but that's relatively easy to prove wrong. His parents were actually François Thibault (Nicolas' brother) and Marie-Anne Dupré (married 7 Apr 1687). Nicolas also had a son named François-Xavier (even born the same year as his cousin of the same name), but he married other women (one of whom died).
That was the easy part.
Madeleine Poulin, François-Xavier's wife, is given by some as the daughter of Pierre Poulin and Anne Giguère (both of whom have been mentionned on this message board; they married 13 Nov 1689) while others give Madeleine's parents as Jean Poulin and Marie Gagné dit Bellavance (married 17 Jun 1702, according to a marriage contract held by Etienne Jacob). The problem is that, as far as I am aware, the marriage record for François-Xavier Thibault and Madeleine Poulin is missing. It would give a more exact date (than abt. 1724) and would list the parents of both newlyweds. The further problem I am encountering is that Jean Poulin and Marie Gagné dit Bellavance appear so few times together in birth/death/marriage records that it would be easy to believe that they are not even married at the time. Further, they apparently also had a daughter named Madeleine Poulin (born abt. 1705), but I'm not able to dig up anything else on her at all. Maybe she became a nun or died young?
I would appreciate anything solid on this couple.
With thanks.

Re: Madeleine Poulin m. François-Xavier Thibault abt 1724

Posted: 7 Feb 2003 4:27AM GMT
Edited: 4 Jan 2005 2:53AM GMT
Surnames: Poulin, Bellavance dit Gagne, Cloutier, Robin, Morin
The information I have on Jean Poulin and Marie Belleavance dit Gange is totally different from what you have.
Jean Poulin born cir. 1690, married Marie Belleavance dit Gange on November 22,1726 in Rimouski, Quebec. Marie was born on February 18, 1703. She was daughter of Alexis Belleavance/Gange and Catherine Cloutier. Jean was son of Jean Poulin and Anne Robin. Jean and Marie's children were:

Jean-Francois born Dec 2, 1727 in Rimouski, Que.
Joseph Poulin born Dec 12, 1729 in Rimouski, Que
Agnes Poulin born May 31, 1733 in Rimouski, Que
Jean-Baptiste Poulin born April 30,1735
Joseph Poulin born July 20, 1736 died March 6, 1737 in Rimouski,Que
and a Charlotte Poulin born on July 13, 1740 marrying Francois Morin Feb. 16, 1757 in Rimouski, Que...there is no mention of a Madeleine. Also if they married in 1702 that would mean Jean was only 12?

Pierre Potvin (View posts)
Posted: 7 Feb 2003 12:46PM GMT
Edited: 19 Jun 2003 3:01AM GMT
Surnames: Poulin, Thibault, Gagné, Cloutier, Robin
You're right, but that's an entirely different couple located in eastern Québec. There was indeed another Jean Poulin who married another Marie Gagné (daughter of Alexis) and that couple also had a daughter named Madeleine sometime after 1726. What became of her, I don't know.
The Poulin-Gagné couple I was referring to in my earlier posting lived in the Charlevoix region not far from Québec City. Marie Gagné was daughter of a Louis Gagné and Jean Poulin was the son of yet another Jean Poulin. The two Marie Gagné were distantly related. This Charlevoix couple married earlier, in 1702. They presumably had a daughter named Madeleine abt. 1705 who married François-Xavier Thibault in abt. 1724.
Part of the confusion arising is because the family names Poulin and Gagné were already widespread by the late 1600's and the given names Jean, Marie and Madeleine were very common, so it's not improbable that two distinct Jean Poulins married two distinct Marie Gagnés and both named their daughters Madeleine, albeit with about 20 years between them.
Since my original posting, I got an answer to my query from someone who had in hand a contract that positively identified the parentage of my Charlevoix Madeleine. I've posted details about this on my website, where I discuss this Rimouski couple as well, at http://members.rogers.com/pgpotvin.
Thanks for your reply. Cheers.

Posted: 19 Jun 2003 3:34AM GMT
Edited: 4 Dec 2006 12:09PM GMT
Surnames: Poulin, Thibault, Gagne, Dupres dit Despres, Pare, Gagnon, Jacob, Robin, Gagne dit Belavance, Cloutier
The URL for your website does not work. Could you please post which parents you have concluded are correct and the notary reference for the contract? PRDH does not identify a marriage contract for the 1724 marriage and it would be very interesting to know what has been found that they did not find.

PRDH does show Marie Madeleine Poulin (Jean & Marie Gagne) married Francois Xavier Thibault (Francois Thibault & Marie Anne Dupres dit Despres) approximately 1724. The parents of Jean Poulin are identified as Jean Poulin and Louise Pare (certificate #28345). The parents of Marie Gagne are identified as Louis Gagne and Marie Gagnon (certificate #30209). The marriage contract for Jean Poulin & Marie Gagne is # 95017 and the notary is Etienne Jacob.

I am also wondering what is the source that shows the Rimouski couple of Jean Poulin (Jean & Anne Robin) and Marie Gagne dit Belavance (Alexis & Marie Catherine Cloutier) had a daughter named Madeleine. I find 11 Madeleine Poulins born after 1726 (their marriage) and they are not the parents of any of them according to PRDH.

I am related to Gagne, Gagnon, Poulin, and Thibault lines and am very interested in your findings.

Regards,
Sharyn

Objet : Re: Madeleine Poulin m. François-Xavier Thibault abt 1724

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 9:35PM GMT
Aimerqis savoir la fin de cette recher hé, Je uis face ce probe
éme et aimerais la solution, impossible. Recherche depuis trois jours sans success.

Objet : Re: Madeleine Poulin m. François-Xavier Thibault abt 1724

Posted: 14 Dec 2012 9:49PM GMT
Aimerais savoir la fin de cette recherche, Je fais face ce problème, et aimerais la solution, impossible. Recherche depuis trois jours sans success.

Grand Merci

Lien du mentionne auparavant ne fonctionne pas
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions