Search for content in message boards

Rachel Spurgeon of Jackson IN.

Rachel Spurgeon of Jackson IN.

Posted: 31 Jan 2004 6:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Sep 2004 12:09AM GMT
Surnames: Spurgeon, Stogdill, Collier
Can anyone tell me who the parents are of the following Spurgeons: Rachel b.abt 1833 Jackson,IN. m. James W. Stogdill - Joseph b. no date in Jackson,IN.m. Martha Collier - Edie Catherine b. abt1847 in Jackson, IN. m. Morris S. Stogdill. James W.Stogdill and Morris Stogdill were brothers.But I need help with the Spurgeon line.
Thanks,
Donetta

Re: Rachel Spurgeon of Jackson IN.

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 4:54PM GMT
Edited: 20 Jul 2006 8:47PM GMT
Surnames: Spurgeon
OK, I think I can help with this, if you still need it. Rachel Spurgeon was my 2nd great grand aunt through my mother's side. I have her birth date as 1 Jul 1840, taken from her headstone in Hopkins Cemetery, Davis County, Iowa. Her father was Joseph Spurgeon and Phebe Spurgeon. I do not have any information as to her maiden name, unless it was also Spurgeon (Spurgin). They were great for marrying cousins, then. Your Joseph (B) was the son of Joseph and Phebe. He was married to Elizabeth Ann White before he married Martha Collier. Eady Catherine was my great grandmother. She was the daughter of Joseph (B) and Elizabeth Ann. Hope this helps.

Bob Spurgeon (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jul 2006 5:40PM GMT
Joseph B. Spurgeon b. 1827 Indiana
m1. Elizabeth Ann White March 04, 1846 Jackson, Ripley County, Indiana
m2. Martha Collier June 29, 1885 Jackson County, Indiana

Source: Spurgeon Quarterly Issue 46, Sep 1996,p360
For additional information on this family, jncluding his parents see
http://www.gencircles.com/users/bobspu/ people linked to myself
Bob Spurgeon

Posted: 13 Dec 2012 3:45PM GMT
hi. it been awhile since the last post so i hope you see this. i have a joseph spurgeon and martha collier in the family line. did they have a daughter named nancy jane? and did N.J. go on to marry into another Collier family? hope you can help!

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 10:12PM GMT
Surnames: Spugeon, Collier
I have that Nancy Jane Spurgeon married Jilto Collier. I don't know anything about him. Their children were Edna, Howard, Everett E, Lawrence, Jessie, Jennie, Ola, Beulah and Noel.

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 12:37AM GMT
thanks for the reply! i had Nancy Jane married to Jhilson Granville Collier so maybe its the same person just the spelling was off. Their daughter Edna Bell was my 2nd great grandmother. Did you have any info past Nancy's parents?

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 5:43AM GMT
Joseph B Spurgeon was the son of Joseph abt 1783-1849 and Phebe 1791-1882. Joseph Sr. was the son of Samuel Spurgin 1738-1789 and Sarah "Sally" Ledford 1749-1839. Martha Collier was the daughter of Hiram D Collier abt 1802-1849 (father: Richard) and Nellie Renee (Ellender) Stogdill b abt 1805(parents: James Samuel Stogdill 1765-1830 and Martha Elkins 1781-1851). Not all of my tree is proven, so beware there may be errors.
Joseph B Spurgeon and Martha Collier are both my GG grandparents from their 1st marriages.

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 5:55AM GMT
"Jilto" may have been a nickname of Jhilson. http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/f/u/n/Dale-E-Funk...
This website lists his parents.

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 1:26PM GMT
Thanks again! I went on to findagrave.com and they had nancy and showed her spouses name spelled: Jilhson. So I guess I will go with that. So what is your family line? Mine goes: me-roy-bessie-mamie-edna bell-jilhson & nancy.

Posted: 30 Jan 2013 9:55PM GMT
Surnames: Stogdill, Spurgeon, Bowman, Collier, White
Me- L.Eugene Stogdill - Thomas A Stogdill - Eady Catherine Spurgeon - Joseph B Spurgeon and Elizabeth White. And Nancy E Bowman (2nd wife of Thomas A Stogdill) - Charlotte Stogdill - Jessie Stogdill and Martha Collier.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic