Search for content in message boards

BROOKS, Gladys E., of Ferguson's Cove (c.1906-1909)

BROOKS, Gladys E., of Ferguson's Cove (c.1906-1909)

Posted: 22 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Edited: 5 Jul 2001 11:48AM GMT
Surnames: Brooks
The Evening Mail (Halifax, Nova Scotia)
Tuesday, 31 August 1909, p. 12:

Died - On the 31st ... Gladys E. BROOKS, Ferguson's Cove, aged three years and four months.

Re: BROOKS, Gladys E., of Ferguson's Cove (c.1906-1909)

Marilyn (Brooks) Reilly (View posts)
Posted: 26 Apr 2004 10:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
My father was William James Brooks, son of James Brooks and Margaret White of Ferguson's Cove and Purcell's Cove.
My father and his parents are buried at the Ferguson's Cove cemetary. Dad died in 1962. Could this Gladys Brooks be one of my aunts? There were more children I knew and they were Mary, Theresa, Alphonse and I do not know of any others although we think there were more children that died at an early age. Would love to have any more information that you could provide me. Thank you!

Posted: 4 Jan 2007 11:21PM GMT
Surnames: Brooks, White
My great grandparents were Joseph White and Annie Brooks. I have a marriage slip dated 1876 which indicates their parents were Joseph and Elizabeth White and John and Sarah Brooks. At the time of the marriage they all resided in Ferguson's Cove, Halifax, NS. I was wondering if Annie and her father John could be related to your William James and James Brooks. Also, could your Margaret White be related to my Joseph White family. If you have any information I would really appreciate a response. Thank you.

Posted: 21 Mar 2009 12:48AM GMT
Good Evening Anonymous

I'm working on those who are buried in the FERGUSON'S COVE cemetery and have found a headstone almost completely buried with the following inscriptions

ELLEN WHITE, died 3 JAN 1858 @ 44 yrs.
ANN LONG, died 1 JUNE 1841 @ 22 YRS.

Would they be of any relation to your family? STAR1@EASTLINK.CA

Posted: 2 Feb 2010 4:25AM GMT
Hi,
I think my ggrandfather may be buried in Ferguson's Cove Cemetery. His name was John Brooks born 1820 and died sometime after 1901. He married Margaret/Sarah Brackett who died around 1869.
Have you seen any headstones with those names. John's daughter Anne/Nancy Brooks married Joseph White (my greatgrandparents,but they are buried at Mt Olivet Cemetery. Any information appreciated. I have not been able to figure out who John Brooks parents were. My guess is William Brooks. Thanks.
Take care,
Joyce

Posted: 2 Feb 2010 2:09PM GMT
Good morning Joyce,
I have 2 photos of Brooks headstones from this cemetery, one reads John A. Brooks 1857 - 1943 with his wife Margaret M. 1866 - 1946 and the other James Brooks 1866 - 1952 with his wife Ada (Purcell) Brooks 1878 - 1944 and grandson Michael James Brooks 1931 - still living and his wife Joyce (probably still living).If the stone that you are looking for is there, it's probably buried under years of overgrowth as the cemetery is poorly maintained.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I would like to get a copy of the family tree that you are working on.

Trueman

Posted: 3 Feb 2010 2:07AM GMT
Surnames: White, Brooks
Thanks for your quick response. The information I found indicates John A Brooks and James Brooks were brothers of my great grandmother Nancy/Annie Brooks White. John Brooks born 1820 would be their father and Margaret/Sarah Brackett their mother. I don't know for sure where the parents were buried but they lived in Ferguson's Cove; and, I can't find them on the Catholic Cemeteries Commission site. I did find my great grandmother Annie/Nancy Brooks White is buried at Mt Olivet. She is buried near her husband Joseph White.

The Whites also lived in Ferguson's cove. The Margaret M you mention wife of John A Brooks was a White.

What type of file do you want. Do you have the family tree maker? My e-mail is jmnoonan@sbcglobal.net. I can send you some of my family tree if you e-mail me your e-mail address. Thanks for your help.

Posted: 27 Jan 2012 5:18PM GMT
Hi Joyce

Just happened to be going through some old e-mails and came across one between you and I. The last statement was that you would e-mail some of your Brook's genealogy, I don't recall getting any, maybe I didn't send you my e-mail address. Well here it is Star1@Bellaliant.Net. Are you still working on it?

Trueman Tufts
( I lived in the cove a few years ago. )

Posted: 16 Mar 2013 3:04PM GMT
As far as I am aware- Gladys was the daughter of James and Ada- her siblings were Clarence Raymond, Vernon and Stella - all deceased.
Clarence had 2 children :James Micheal and Veronica Mary (Ross)
Vernon had Cecelia, Margaret, Leo and ?
Stella had one stepson
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions