Search for content in message boards

Fuller in Tuscaloosa, AL & Chickasaw, MS ca 1800 -1860

Fuller in Tuscaloosa, AL & Chickasaw, MS ca 1800 -1860

Posted: 8 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Aug 2001 4:15AM GMT
Surnames: Fuller, McRae, Campbell
Does anyone know anything about the Ezekiel Fuller family of Chickasaw County, Mississippi (originally from Tuscaloosa, Alabama)? Mary and Isabella's maiden name is McRae.
1840 Census: E. Fuller ( 3 sons & 2 daughters )

1850 Census: Ezekiel Fuller 65

.........................Mary 49

.........................Littleton 22

.........................Jas K. L. 19

1860 Census: Ezekiel Fuller 74

.........................Mary 63

.........................Isabella Cambell 75

Thanks,

Lana Nelson

Re: Fuller in Tuscaloosa, AL & Chickasaw, MS ca 1800 -1860

Posted: 10 May 2004 10:53PM GMT
Surnames: McRae/Walden
Hi,
I just recently found out that a McRae married a Fuller and I had no idea whatsoever that the Fuller-McRae family lived in Chickasaw County. I was born in Houston. Do you know which McRae was Mary McRae's father? Isabella McRae married Nelson Walden in 1829 in Tuscaloosa County, AL and later moved to MS. They are my ancestors.
Thanks.
Bonnie
My emial is not the one listed. It is bonnieg_98_98@yahoo.com
The Isabella Campbell is a sister to Jennet McRae who had a daughter named Isabella.

Re: Fuller in Tuscaloosa, AL & Chickasaw, MS ca 1800 -1860

Posted: 16 Jul 2007 9:44PM GMT
Ezekiel Fuller served in the War of 1812 (from Oct. 4, 1813 - Jan. 15, 1814) in Colonel Thomas McCrory's Regiment of the West Tennessee Militia, which was mustered into service in Franklin County, Tennessee. He later served as a third sergeant in Colonel John Cocke's 2nd Regiment of West Tennessee Militia. At the time of that enlistment (Nov. 3, 1814), Ezekiel was living in Rutherford County, Tennessee. His unit fought with Andrew Jackson in the Battle of New Orleans on January 8, 1815. One history of Mississippi recognizes Ezekiel Fuller as one of the earliest settlers of Chickasaw County and cites his role as a soldier at the Battle of New Orleans. (Robert Lowry & William McCardle, A History of Mississippi, from the Discovery of the Great River by Hernando DeSoto to the Death of Jefferson Davis [1541-1889]. Jackson, Miss.: R. H. Henry & Co., 1891. pp. 453-456).

The 1820 census found Ezekiel in Lincoln County, TN, with 5 sons and 3 daughters. He then moved to Tuscaloosa, Alabama, where his father, Littleton Fuller, and one of his brothers, Benjamin H. Fuller, were already living. He is listed as one of 36 constables in Tuscaloosa County during the period of 1823-1826. (Alston Lambert, History of Tuscaloosa County, Alabama, Vol. II, Stewart Univ. Press, 1978, p. 24). Ezekiel was a party to a deed on Nov. 20, 1827 "for the purpose of building a Baptist Church" in what was then southern Tuscaloosa County. (Tuscaloosa Deed Book G, p. 117). That area is now part of Hale County (to the east of Moundville, which was then known as Carthage). The 1830 census found Ezekiel still in Tuscaloosa County, living with 5 sons and 6 daughters, with 5 of these children having been born since the 1820 census. Immediately next door were Littleton Fuller and B H Fuller (i.e., Benjamin H. Fuller). In January 1838, he was a witness in a lawsuit involving the sale of a horse. (Alabama Records, Vol. 67, Book 8, p. 49, "Kennon v. McCrae"). After Littleton Fuller died in Tuscaloosa in 1840, Ezekiel served as the administrator of his father's estate.

In the meantime, Ezekiel had already moved to Chickasaw County, MS. He is listed on the Chickasaw County, Mississippi Tax Certificates in 1837 and 1838. A federal land patent dated Nov. 16, 1840 indicates that he purchased 160 acres of land located just east of the Natchez Trace in what is now the Tombigbee National Forest. The 1850 and 1860 federal censuses show Ezekiel as a relatively prosperous farmer in Chickasaw County, MS.

I don't know when Ezekiel died, but haven't found him in the 1870 census.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic