Search for content in message boards

James McKee and Amanda Heacock Columbiana, OH 1840-1900

James McKee and Amanda Heacock Columbiana, OH 1840-1900

Posted: 25 Dec 2007 4:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McKEE, HEACOCK, DOYLE
I am trying to trace the descendants of James McKee who died in Shenango Twp., Beaver Co., PA in 1839. In his will he names his sons Charles, James, John, David and Hugh. David is my great-grandfather who moves to Pulaski, PA. Charles, John and Hugh seem to stay near Shenango and New Castle. James, sometimes James G., is my dilemma. In a deed selling some of the property in Shenango in 1845, James seems to have a wife Amanda M. The only James and Amanda I can find born about 1815-1825 are the couple who first appear in Columbiana Co., OH in 1840. I have not verified to my satisfaction, but there is a marriage for a James McKee and Amanda Heacock in Ohio about 1840. Following the censuses this couple have children Mary about 1841, Rosanna about 1844, Sarah E. about 1846, William F. in May 1848, Ella about 1852, and Carrie about 1867. William F., his wife Jane Doyle and family stay in Salem and/or Perry, Columbiana Co. until his death in 1918. His death certificate verifies that his mother's maiden name is Heacock. I cannot find any of this McKee family in the 1870 Census. In the 1880 Census James and Amanda are back in PA but in Lack District, Juniata County. I have not found any death records for James or Amanda. James' brother David's obituary in Feb. 1891 says his brother James McKee "of Huntingdon" survives. Is anyone else trying to trace any of this family, or can anyone tell me where a Huntingdon might be, especially somewhere near this western Pennsylvania-Eastern Ohio region. Thanks for any help. Nancy Smith

Re: James McKee and Amanda Heacock Columbiana, OH 1840-1900

Posted: 21 Apr 2009 7:53PM GMT
Surnames: McKEE, HEACOCK, COTTON, LOWRY, McCARTY, TAYLOR, HARTLERODE, SHOPE, DOYLE, BOLINGER
I am still searching for any descendants of James and Amanda (Heacock) McKee. The will of their daughter, Mary McKee Cotton who died in Kansas in 1912 reveals additional names of descendants.

Mary McKee married Jackson COTTON between 1870-1880.

Hannah McKee married Alexander LOWRY about 1865 having children May B. Lowry, Estella A. Lowry and Paul R. Lowry between 1866 and 1875. Estella married Edwin McCARTY. Paul married and had children Ruth and Raymond Lowry.

Rosanna McKee married Walter B. TAYLOR about 1867. They had Effie B. Taylor and Percy McKee Taylor 1868-1870. Effie married Lawrence T. HARTLERODE and Percy also married.

Sarah E. McKee married Mr. SHOPE between 1880-1887 and they had a daughter Helen Shope in Jul 1887.

William F. McKee and Jane DOYLE married in Columbiana County in 1869. They had Edward James, Clarence, Amanda M. and Charles between 1871 and 1878. Edward James married Ellen and they had Harold Thompson McKee in 1897.

Carrie McKee married Frank BOLINGER about 1911. They moved to Kansas.

Most of these families were found in Columbiana, Portage and Mahoning Counties, Ohio and Allegheny Co., PA but Bolingers seem to have been from Huntingdon, PA and the Shope family from there also. Also many who moved away were returned for burial to Columbiana County.

I would be happy to hear from anyone related.
Nancy Smith

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 7:59PM GMT
Surnames: Lowry
My ancestor Michael Lowry (182* - 1929) lived in Huntingdon, PA in the 1860's and then moved to Columbiana County from the 1870's until his death. He was married to Bridget Conley (1825 – 1904). Their children include Bridget Lowry (1847 – ?), Mary Lee Lowry (1854 – ?), Edward Lowry (1855 – ?), Anna E Lowry (1858 – 1904), Margaret Lowry (1861 – ?), Michael J Lowry (1868 – 1949). Is their possibly any relation the relatives you are seeking?

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 5:05PM GMT
Joseph, Thank you for responding to my query. I double checked my research and cannot decide either way for sure on a relationship between my Alexander Lowry and your Michael. Alexander says in one census that he immigrated in 1849. The only possible Alexander about the right age that I found was in Butler Co, PA in 1850 with a mother Mary Jane and a 3 year old brother James, also listed as being born in IRE. I couldn't find any of these 3 on immigration lists although there were a couple of close misses. I couldn't find Mary Jane, Alexander or James Lowry in the 1860 census. Alexander married in 1862 in Columbiana Co. Alexander said in later censuses that both his parents were born in Scotland. I didn't find his death record, so can't verify possible parents. A tree on ancestry has a birth date in Belfast, Ireland for Alexander and a death date of 1910 in Columbiana OH, but this tree has no sources and I don't believe some of the other info they have posted on Alexander's father and a second wife at the same time as the first wife with an additional set of children, so I just don't know.
Nancy Smith

Posted: 29 Jan 2013 5:24PM GMT
Surnames: Lowry
The 1920 Census says that my Michael likewise immigrated in 1849. I don't have Michael's immigration records (yet!) but will keep an eye peeled for any documents that may include the names you've provided. If I find anything, I will be sure to let you know. Thanks for your assistance.

Posted: 2 Mar 2013 4:32PM GMT
Surnames: LOWRY, GIBSON
Joseph, I have recently found the death certificate for Alexander Lowry on the Family Search website giving Alexander's death date as 18 Aug 1910. Joseph's son, Paul Lowry, was the informant. In it he names Alexander Lowry's father as Robert LOWRY, born in Belfast, Ireland and Alexander Lowry's mother as Mary Jane GIBSON, b. in Scotland. I don't know if this will be any help to you or not. Nancy Smith
per page

Find a board about a specific topic