Search for content in message boards

Nicolaus Ten Grooten/Geertruyt Abbincks, >1712

Nicolaus Ten Grooten/Geertruyt Abbincks, >1712

Posted: 23 Jul 2012 11:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ten Grooten, Grootenhuis; Abbincks, Ebbinks
I can trace the first of their 8 children, Theodorus Ten Grooten, to his birth in 1712, in Dinxperlo, Gelderland, along with the names and birthdates of the 7 other siblings. Can't find any information about either Nicolaus or Geertruyt. Further generations used variations on the name Grootenhuis. Ebbinks (or Ebbink) may be a variation on Abbinks.

Re: Nicolaus Ten Grooten/Geertruyt Abbincks, >1712

Posted: 24 Jul 2012 6:55AM GMT
Hello,

The couple married in Dinxperlo:
12.01.1710 Nicolaus ten Grootenhuijs vooght a. jm zv w Theodorus ten Grootenhuijs in
leven vooght a. wa en Geertruijd Abbinck jd v Berend Abbinck w. tot Eijbergen tr (=marriagedate) 02.02.1710
http://www.genealogiedomein.nl/index.php?option=com_docman&a... . Go to Trouwboek 1661-1750

Regards, Freddy

Posted: 24 Jul 2012 7:00AM GMT
Hello,

They marry in Eibergen (Province Gelderland) in 1710:
Geertruijd Abbinck and Nicolaes Grotenhuijs,

Father of Geertruid is mentioned: Berent Abbinck,
Geertruijd lived in Eibergen for her marriage.
About Nicolaes the marriage says that he's ''voogt tot Dinxperloo''

This must be the baptism of Geertruijd in Eibergen:
25.10.1685 Berent Abbinck - Grete, el. - ein dochter lat. dopen genant GERTRUIJ
( Berent Abbinck and Grete, married(father/mother)let there daughter Gertruij being baptised on mentioned date)
Only the first name of mother is mentioned, also to siblings.

The marriage was also in Dinxperloo and that tells more about Nicolaes:
in Dutch it says:

12.01.1710 Nicolaus ten Grootenhuijs vooght a. jm zv w Theodorus ten Grootenhuijs in leven vooght a. wa en Geertruijd Abbinck jd v Berend Abbinck w. tot Eijbergen
tr 02.02.1710 (marriage)

It tells that Nicolaus was a son of Theodorus ten Grootenhuijs.

This could be the marriage of his parents in Dinxperloo:
24.06.1683 Theodorus Jan ten Grotenhuijs voogt en Anna Radijs dv w luitenant Nicolaus Radijs w. tot Aelten

The baptism of Nicolaus should give te prove, but can't find that yet online, I'll search later.

regards, Jettie

Posted: 24 Jul 2012 7:13AM GMT
voogt (=voogd) see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vogt

Here "Trouwboek Eibergen": 00.00.1710 Nicolaes ten Grotenhuijs , voogt tot Dinxperlo, met Geertruijd Abbinck, dogter van Berent Abbinck, w. alhier.

Bapt. Eibergen:
25.10.1685 Berent Abbinck - Grete, el. - ein dochter lat. dopen genant GERTRUIJ

Berent and Grete had 11 children (between 1680 and 1696). They didn't marry in Eibergen

Regards, Freddy

Posted: 24 Jul 2012 8:52PM GMT
Thank you very much for this information. I don't even know where to look for Dutch genealogical information prior to 1700, and your link and another one have been very useful.

Not being a native Dutch speaker (I'm in the U.S.), I've been trying to figure out listings in Dutch via Google Translate which, however, doesn't translate abbreviations. Or some of the words. But I've muddled through.

Any suggestions as to where I might find more information about my ancestors in the 1600's?

Elna

Posted: 24 Jul 2012 8:53PM GMT
Freddy:

Thank you very much for this information. I would not have known to look there. Where else might I find information about my ancestors in the 1600's? (I have lots of info from the mid-1700's forward.)

Elna

Posted: 25 Jul 2012 6:56AM GMT
Hello Elna,

I'm afraid, these are the eldest churchbooks that have survived. I'ts difficult for this part of the Netherlands (Achterhoek) to find elder sources. Maybe you can find here: http://www.geldersarchief.nl/zoeken more, but not everything is online and most of it is in Dutch.

Regards, Freddy

Posted: 25 Jul 2012 11:16AM GMT
Edited: 25 Jul 2012 11:19AM GMT
Hello Elna,

I understand your problem met Dutch language and the translation not being very good.
For translation of words this site is very easy and fast to use :
http://www.vertalen.nu/
In this case you choose in the left field ''Nederlands'' (= Dutch) and in the right one you choose ''English''
Then in the white field underneath (under: Welk woord wilt u vertalen?) you fill in the word you want to translate from Dutch to English.
Hope this helps a bit. Maby old terms can't be find, but still it may help with many words.

Then this: on the site http://www.geneaknowhow.net/digi/bronnen.html you can put this site in English by clicking right on the word English.
On this site you find everything that's online now of the Netherlands, Belgium en Luxemburg.
On the left you see the Provinces of Netherlands,
in the area you search that's Gelderland (Dinxperlo, Aalten, Eibergen f.e.)
Choose the Province and you see the places in alfabatical order, above some general or regional things.
On the 'button'' new you find the reguarly updates of new dates /information/sources that have come online.

only trancriptions or pictures of what's online will be in Dutch ofcourse. But if you got stuck, I want to help you as far as I can.

Then about your ancestors, I found this:

In Aalten, a small village nearby Dinxperloo the marriage of Theodorus Joh. (=Johannes) te Grotenhuijs and his wife Anna Radijs,
it was in Aalten I think because bride Anna Radijs lived there then.
These are the parents of you Nicolaus te Grotenhuis.
Married in Aalten and after the marriage they went living in Dinxperloo, the village were the te Grotenhuis was born and lived.

Here is the marriage of Theodorus J. and his wife:
13.07.1683 [going to Dinxperlo] Theodorus Joh. te Grotenhuijs, vooght (some kind of function he had) tot Dinxperlo, zv (=son of) wijlen (= deceased) Wessel te G. in sijn leven gewesen Vooght daer selfs, en
Anna Radijs, dv wijlen (=daughter of not living anymore) luit (= lieutenent) Nicolaus R. in 't Dorp

Theodorus also called Dir(c)k , those first names are the same, Theodorus = Dirk

Anna Radijs was baptised 15-09-1649 in Bredevoort., daughter of Nicolaus RADIJS, Luitenant, and Agnes VERSCHAGE

From this marriage at least were born:
1) Wessel te GROTENHUIS.
Ged.(=baptised) op 28-06-1684 te Dinxperlo (get. -=witnesses): Margreta Vasteels en Dirk te Grotenhuis

2) your ancestor:
Nicolaus te GROTENHUIS, bapt.op (=on) 16-05-1686 te Dinxperlo (get.: Engelberta Willemina te Grotenhuis en Dirk ten Brink

The marriage of Wessel te Grotenhuis can't be find as far as I can see, because of lack of churchbooks in that time.

regards, Jettie

Posted: 25 Jul 2012 11:46AM GMT
Hello Elma,

Found some more about your ancestors Abbin(c)k, on a site of Historical Haaksbergen, in Dutch so what I found I put here in English:

Berend Abbink from Eibergen went ''under-marrying''- I can't find how you say that in English, it was some weeks before the marriage itself, you understand?)
-so he was undermarried in Haaksbergen to Grietje Cuipers on 15 june 1679 (= Grete from the baptism of Geertruij), she was a daughter of already deceased Tonnis (= Teunis, Anthonie)

- Haaksbergen is in Province Overijssel, possible that Grietje Cuipers came from here, then to Eibergen

By the way:
the oldest baptism and marriages churchbooks from Dinxperloo are only kept from 1609-1618, then there's a big gap and then it goes from 1660/1661, so in the period between it's not possible to search in those churchbooks.

Eibergen : baptism beginning from 1621 (reformed )till I think 1811, then you got the Civil Registration.
and marriage starting from 1653,

hope this all helps you a bit further,

regards, Jettie
Berent Abbink seems son of Tonnis Abbinck.

Berend Abbink had probably gotten the farm Jaosker (Jaasker) as a legacy from his parents-in-law

Posted: 25 Jul 2012 5:17PM GMT
Jettie:

I am very grateful for the information you have found. My knowledge of the Dutch language has come entirely from researching my ancestors, first with the help of my 102-year-old Aunt Betty, who lived in Oosterbeek while she was growing up, and then from my attempts to translate words I didn't recognize using Google Translate.

Thank you especially for telling me about the missing church records. Do you happen to know if this particular set of records disappeared during World War II? It would make sense to me.

I started on this quest 10 years ago, published (privately) my findings for my relatives, and then got busy with other things. With my aunt turning 100, I wanted to give her as complete a history as I could find, before she dies. I will be seeing her this weekend and will be able to show her all the information about her (and my) ancestors.

Elna
per page

Find a board about a specific topic