Search for content in message boards

Where's Ouellette, Maine? (Arroostook county)

Where's Ouellette, Maine? (Arroostook county)

Posted: 19 Apr 2002 11:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Oct 2002 6:18PM GMT
Could someone out there please tell me if there was another
name for Ouellette? My mother remembers her Uncle living there, but I can't seem to find it so that I can find them on the
census. Please help, Diane

Re: Where's Ouellette, Maine? (Arroostook county)

Betty (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2002 10:47AM GMT
Hi.. I have a folding map of Maine, called "The Maine Map and Guide" which I use ..all the time.. in my research. It lists the town of Ouellette ... The reason you might not be able to find it .. is that it is ...way up there! :o) Even way north of Presque Isle and Caribou .. It is right near the tippety-top of Maine .. just below the town of Fort Kent .. which is right on the border with New Brunswick.
(It is also just south of Madawaska which looks to be a sister-town to Edmundston, NB.. again.. right on the border.

Just an FYI: Just noticed that there aren't very many towns .. west of Caribou and Presque Isle in Maine. There are a few on Rt. 11 running north from the Millinocket area, heading up through Ashland, and going through Eagle Lake and up to Fort Kent. By west of that .. nothing. right over to the Quebec border.

I'm in Massachusetts.. and have never gotten that far up in Maine .. The map says that large area is ..full.. of mountains and lakes... The..bottom.. of that area is "Baxter State Park." Perhaps someone who lives in Aroostook County could describe the area for us ...

:o)

Diane (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2002 8:52PM GMT
Surnames: Pelletier, Martin, Daigle
Thanks Betty. I actually have been up there. My granparents lived there. It's extremely rural, very pretty and no there is not much around there. I'll just have to search around, but thanks for trying to help. Happy researching to you!

Terri Boucher (View posts)
Posted: 22 Apr 2002 12:35PM GMT
Edited: 28 Oct 2002 6:22PM GMT
Surnames: Daigle, Ouellette, Martin
The Eagle Lake area are Daigles, Ouellette and Martins also in Madawaska, Sinclair, St. Agatha and Fort Kent. I hope this is of help.

Posted: 26 Apr 2002 10:44PM GMT
Edited: 4 Dec 2006 12:09PM GMT
I may be able to help as I have quite a few census resources from 1790-1920. Just post the specific names, approximate years wanted and I will see what I can find. As you know, it all depends when a town was incorporated as to what the census designation will be. You are likely looking at T17 or 18, R5-9, Wallagrass Plantation, Frenchville, etc. before 1900. I did not fine any mention of Ouellette before 1900. There is a good description of the area in "History of Aroostook" and your relative's names may even be in there. So. . . just give me some details and maybe we'll find the right place.

Regards, Sharyn Hay storknurse

diane (View posts)
Posted: 29 Apr 2002 9:43PM GMT
Edited: 28 Oct 2002 6:24PM GMT
Surnames: Pelletier, Pelkey
Hi, I am actually looking for David and Tellie Pelkey. Also
Ludger and simone Pelletier, both living in Ouellet in 1930.
I will try your suggestions. Let me know what your ideas are
for that time. So far I have not had any luck. Appreciate your suggestions. Diane

Nicholas Hawes (View posts)
Posted: 1 May 2002 12:54PM GMT
Ouellette ME is not actually an incorporated town or village. It does appear in the DeLorme Road Atlas at the intersection between Route 161 and Flat Mountain Road (leading north towards Saint Agatha ME), but there is no town there.

Ouellette was never incorporated or organized for election or tax purposes. It appears to have been a locally-used name for the area (really just a few farmsteads), but it has and never has had any civil or legal status. I suspect that it appears in the DeLorme atlas as a way of making the map unique for copyright purposes (as do a number of other rather insubstantial communities and a handful of non-existant bridges).

The intersection marked "Ouellette" in the atlas is right in the center of T17 R5 WELS ("Township 17, Range 5 West of the Easterly Line of the State"). This is one of Maine's many "unorganized townships." It has no township office and it maintains no records. Civil records are apt to be at Fort Kent or Saint Agatha; church records would be at Holy Family parish in Daigle ME (now decommissioned, records at Saint Louis parish in Fort Kent ME) or at Saint Joseph's parish in Sinclair ME.

Nicholas Hawes
Assistant Director
Acadian Archives/Archives acadiennes
University of Maine at Fort Kent

Nicholas Hawes (View posts)
Posted: 1 May 2002 1:29PM GMT
Edited: 28 Oct 2002 6:25PM GMT
Surnames: Pelletier, Ouellette, St. Amand, Daigle, Saucier, Cyr
In a local (and not entirely reliable) marriage compilation I find the following partial entries:

PELLETIER DAVID fils de <blank>
OUELLETTE TELLIE fille de Vital et Euphemie Daigle
maries a <blank>

PELLETIER LUDGER fils de Vital et Euphemie Daigle
ST AMAND SIMONE fille de <blank>
maries a <blank>

Both Pelletiers appear to be children of Vital Pelletier and Euphemie Daigle, whose marriage appears as:

PELLETIER VITAL fils de Severin et Marie Saucier
DAIGLE EUPHEMIE fille d Lindore et Lucie Cyr
maries a Sainte-Luce Me. 8 juin 1890

Sainte-Luce is the parish at Frenchville ME. It lost its resident priest recently (currently it's served by Sainte-Agathe parish), but the registers remain at the parish. Here is contact information:

Sainte-Luce Parish
U.S. Route 1
Upper Frenchville ME 04745
(207) 543-7313

The parish secretary is in the office on a very reduced schedule, so you may have to call repeatedly to reach her. The last time I checked, she was available for genealogical queries only from 1:00 to 3:00pm on Mondays.

Nicholas Hawes
Assistant Director
Acadian Archives/Archives acadiennes
University of Maine at Fort Kent

Posted: 2 May 2002 10:12PM GMT
Edited: 4 Dec 2006 12:09PM GMT
Surnames: Gendron, Gagnon
This has been a great thread and thanks to Nicholas for clearing things up about Ouellette. However, I'd like to add that for census lookups don't stop at T17 R5. I found the Ouellette, Pelletier, and Martin families in T17 R4, Frenchville (formerly T17 R7), Eagle Lake, and Wallagrass Plantation (T17 R6). For one person who emailed me as a result of this thread, I found the family of her great grandfather, who was supposed to have been in Ouellette, in Wallagress, two houses away from my own kin. Talk about small world! This all just goes to show how valuable this board is as a genealogy resource, so keep those posts coming.

One note, however. If you ask for a lookup from someone, be sure to include names and dates for both parents and a list of all known children with any known dates. The census, especially for our French-Canadian kin, is full of Joseph and Marie marriages that can only be sorted out through lists of their children. Because infants were given so many names, you never know what will be on the census. My own mother was baptized Marie (saint name) Yvette (middle name) Jeanette (given name) Juliette (baptismal name) Gendron but never went by anything other than Jeanette Yvette Gendron. On the other hand, her sister Marie Marguerite Theresa, goes by Marie Theresa (or M. M. Theresa). My grandparents, Joseph Augustin Gendron and Marie Marguerite Lucille Evangeline Gagnon may be listed in one census as Joseph and Marie, another as Joseph and Lucille. It took me nearly a year to realize that Lucille's father, Alfred Gagnon, was so hard to find because his name is Paul Alfred George and each census had him as something different.

Happy hunting, Sharyn

Mark (View posts)
Posted: 10 Nov 2004 10:56PM GMT
I have been there. There's a general store there and that's about it. I went inside and everyone, customers and employees, were speaking French. By the way, my last name is Ouellette and I went there out of curiousity.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions