Search for content in message boards

William Cairns-Agnes Gregg marriage ca. 1734

William Cairns-Agnes Gregg marriage ca. 1734

Wayne Franks (View posts)
Posted: 19 Feb 2003 6:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
William and Agnes are my 6th great-grandparents. The Greggs were wealthy linen drapers who loaned money. Agnes must have siblings, and I'd like to know if anyone is researching this branch. Greggs in the linen business had emigrated to NH; there must be a connection. Any clues?

Re: William Cairns-Agnes Gregg marriage ca. 1734

Ruth Watson (View posts)
Posted: 31 Mar 2003 11:25PM GMT
Surnames: Cairns
Have you read about William Cairns & Agnes Gregg in H C Lawlor's Book of Cairns & Cairnes? They married about 1758 & died in 1775 & 1785 and are buried in Carmoney Churchyard in N Ireland. It says that Agnes was the heiress of William Gregg of Parkmount. Heiress would infer no brothers alive when her father died and if she had sisters it would probably say joint heiress so there are probably no more siblings. William & Agnes had one son Nathan who had 2 sons, Daniel & William. William had 3 sons & 10 daughters, his second son Hugh became Lord Chancellor of England and was created first Earl Cairns. If you think this is the line you are researching e-mail me direct for full details.

Sally Garratt (View posts)
Posted: 15 Mar 2004 3:03PM GMT
Surnames: CAIRNS
I have details of William and Ann Cairns (Gregg) from H.C.Lawlor's book. William's younger brother was my 5 times Great Grandfather. My Grandfather was Doctor Thomas Cairns who appears in Lawlor's book. If you have any information I should be interested.
Sally Garratt

Sally Garratt (View posts)
Posted: 15 Mar 2004 3:09PM GMT
Surnames: CAIRNS
William Cairns younger brother was my 5th great grandfather. I have som information about this branch of the family if you are interested. Do you have any we could exchange?
Sally Garratt

Wayne Franks (View posts)
Posted: 15 Mar 2004 4:38PM GMT
Sally; Thanks for your interest in my query. I'm in the process of having the LDS FHC microfilm Lawlor's book. I'm especially interested in the Gregg line, as they seem to have settled in NH prior to the Rev. War. Wm and Agnes are my direct ancestors. Both Gregg families, (Ulster and NH), were mentioned as having been in the linen business, and I'd like to connect these branches if possible.
The Cairns line is traced as posted by Bruce Cairns on the web; my branch, Mary Cairns married to Peter (Pierre) Henry, is given a mention, but stops there. I have not yet web-published my descent, but I am preparing to do so. In the mean time, I could provide you with my line if you're interested.
Anything you have on the descendants of Wm Gregg and Agnes Gregg would be appreciated as well.

Posted: 5 Apr 2009 11:11AM GMT
Surnames: Cairns Bell
I am from USA but in Belfast doing research. My Irish ancestors were John and Ann Bell Carins [es ] In the US it was spelled Carnes They settled in Cambridge Ohio via Pittsburgh PA Three sons Wm Henry, James, Robert moved to Indiana Wm Henry is my great, great, grandfather. In HC Lawlors Cairn[e]s book there is mention of Cairns in Hillsborough, and [ Antrtim & Down ] We only know the approx date [1824] she came to US with a 4 yr old child. If this is our Ann. John supposedly came a bit earlier. I've found data linking the two families to Shankill Graveyard in Belfast. Any ideas would be of great help to me as no one seems to know their birth nor marriage dates. From his Ohio gravestone, we've determined that his birth date may be 1793 Families names used over and over are William, Henry, John, Robert, Richard, James, George, Rachael, Ann, Hannah

Posted: 8 Mar 2013 6:09PM GMT
Surnames: Cairnes. Kerans
Sally - Your posting was a long time ago - I wonder if you are still there? I wonder if the Dr Thomas Cairnes you mention is the same one as in our family tree?
The story handed down through our family is that the rather disreputable Dr Thomas Cairnes (son of William Cairnes 1640-1685) had an illegitimate son named William, who changed his name to William Kerans, and founded the Kerans dynasty. In which case he would be my great x5 grandfather.
Modern DNA testing opens the possibility of checking whether this was true. There are several living male-line descendants of William Kerans who are interested in doing a y-chromosome analysis to trace their origins. Do you know of any male-line Cairnes that might be from the Irish Cairnes family who we could ask to join in and complete the picture?
I have extensive information on the Kerans family if this link proves to be a real one.
Thanks
Dave Treanor
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions